Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Props to the DEFENSE today! Edit after last TD- And RG3!

88Comrade2000

Sorry to Hijack this thread but i didn't want to start a new one.

Any thoughts on why Mario Addison was on the field so much in the 4th ? He was lined up at ROLB, I figured that Chris Wilson, and Lorenzo would have been on the field prior to this guy.... Also saw a bit more of Keenan Robinson yesterday

thoughts?

Pretty sure it was a gimme. Same for Madeiu's pick really.

I'd say that most interceptions can be classified as "gimmes".

---------- Post added October-15th-2012 at 09:20 AM ----------

You do understand we went to prevent in the 4th and let them chew up clock and get short yardage gains? They had 224 yards in the 4th quarter, which was more than they had in the first 3 quarters combined. We were up 31-12 early in the 4th quarter. You don't have to like it, but the majority of teams in the league will go to the prevent at that point. Sure it would've been nice to completely shut them down, but it worked. Coaches don't care about stats. We prevented the big quick-hitting plays. Teams stat-pad in the 4th when they're down by multiple scores. Check out Jason Campbell's career here in DC for proof.

3 turnovers and a TD from our defense is pretty darn good. And if we're talking stats, what about the rush defense? Held Peterson to 79 yards on 17 carries. 32 of those yards came on one run, so without that it was 47 yards on 16 carries. Held the Vikes as a team to 94 yards total. Played really well in the red zone. We held them about 30 yards under their season average on rushing offense. We are quietly knocking on the door of being a top 10 rushing defense (currently ranked #11).

The D was almost shutdown until they went to prevent when we were up 31-12. I'll take that every Sunday.

The problem with prevent is that one mistake in execution or a bad call can kill it and the offense MUST do its job in prevent (more commonly called the 4 minute offense). The drive that put the game at 31-20 would have ended with a Wilson interception or a sack if Wilson stays with his man. The drive that put the game to 31-26 got a huge assist off a questionable call. Fortunately our offense did something it had not shown indication that it could in previous games.

Archived