Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland : Carolina Chaos

HailToTheRedskins14

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8406098/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best

A five-year, $36.5 million deal for Thomas Davis, a talented linebacker coming off of ACL tears in consecutive seasons. Davis tore his ACL again just weeks after signing his extension. It's a deal that has been pilloried here in the past, but the argument boils down to one simple question: What other team wanted to give Davis a long-term deal with any guaranteed money? Carolina gave Davis a $7 million signing bonus when no other team in football would have been likely to give him even a million dollars in guaranteed money. Davis played in the first two games of the 2012 season, but was inactive against the Giants on Thursday night.
A five-year, $43 million deal for DeAngelo Williams, one that guarantees him $21 million. Hurney gave Williams this contract despite the presence of former first-round pick Jonathan Stewart on the roster, which which many perceived as a sign that the team would eventually shop Stewart around the league. Instead, just one year later, the Panthers gave Stewart a six-year, $37 million deal that guarantees him $22.5 million, which adds up to $80 million in contracts for a pair of running backs that might not be better with the ball than their quarterback. Williams had just 836 yards rushing last year, and outside of a 1,515-yard season in 2008, he's averaged 706 rushing yards and four touchdowns per season. For that, he got a deal roughly similar to the one Ray Rice just picked up. Hurneymania!!

Pretty good article summing up where the Panthers are at. I don't really keep up with them, so it was Vinnyrific reading this writeup. Sucks to be a fan of a team like that, I think all us Skins fans know. Seems like the best move he made was sucking it up and having Newton fall in his lap. Ugh, that stuff is painful to read.

I live here in Charlotte and listen to their sports radio every day just because I LOVE to hear about how bad the Cats **** up. It's comical at this point. Hurney is the worst GM in the NFL right now and has been for the past few years. He throws away draft picks worse than Snyder did when he first started here.

The Panthers are a how-to on building a bad team.

Pay 2 running backs big money.

Pay a fullback starter running back money.

Pay 4 linebackers good starter money.

Have a bad offensive and defensive line.

Have poor receivers (sans Smith) and defensive secondary.

Run a college style offense and don't develop audibles and other reads outside of said offense.

I live here in Charlotte and listen to their sports radio every day just because I LOVE to hear about how bad the Cats **** up. It's comical at this point. Hurney is the worst GM in the NFL right now and has been for the past few years. He throws away draft picks worse than Snyder did when he first started here.

I'm right here with you. Week 1 loss to the Bucs- We suck and let's jump off a ledge. Week 2- beat the Saints- We're going to the SB. Week 3, lose to the Giants- We suck, the season is over.

What gets to me is Mac in the morning and Marc James and Taylor Zarzar keep guaranteeing wins every week. Afternoon crew is busting on Cam for doing his Superman down 20-0. I've been saying this all preseason and this season- Their fanbase is so delusional about the expectations of their team.

When they play a team with a stout defense (Bucs, Giants) they lose because their defense is so horrible. When they play a team with a horrible defense (Saints) they simply outscore them. They are the worst team against the run and if Alfred Morris doesn't at least get 30 carries, I'm kicking Kyle Shanahan in the ass.

I'm right here with you. Week 1 loss to the Bucs- We suck and let's jump off a ledge. Week 2- beat the Saints- We're going to the SB. Week 3, lose to the Giants- We suck, the season is over.

What gets to me is Mac in the morning and Marc James and Taylor Zarzar keep guaranteeing wins every week. Afternoon crew is busting on Cam for doing his Superman down 20-0. I've been saying this all preseason and this season- Their fanbase is so delusional about the expectations of their team.

When they play a team with a stout defense (Bucs, Giants) they lose because their defense is so horrible. When they play a team with a horrible defense (Saints) they simply outscore them. They are the worst team against the run and if Alfred Morris doesn't at least get 30 carries, I'm kicking Kyle Shanahan in the ass.

Mac pretty much always guarantees wins too. They are hilarious! They are ridiculously delusional.

Archived