Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com : US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens killed in consulate attack in Benghazi

killerbee99

So it looks like two hours after the attack in Benghahzi the White House was aware that the Libyan attacks were results of Islamic extremist according to news outlet

"Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/24/us-usa-benghazi-emails-idUSBRE89N02C20121024

They may have been aware that a group was claiming responsibility but plenty of groups take credit for successful attacks in the immediate aftermath whether they had a hand in them or not. You can't really fault the White House for waiting to make sure they had all the facts on the ground before making statements to the public.

They may have been aware that a group was claiming responsibility but plenty of groups take credit for successful attacks in the immediate aftermath whether they had a hand in them or not. You can't really fault the White House for waiting to make sure they had all the facts on the ground before making statements to the public.

That is true but before you go blaming a mob that supposedly from the result of a dumb movie the President should have not said anything about who was responsible until he had all the information in my opinion.

That is true but before you go blaming a mob that supposedly from the result of a dumb movie the President should have not said anything about who was responsible until he had all the information in my opinion.

I think that a lot of information gets conflated, at the same time there was protests in Egypt and Pakistan that were boiling over as well as the attack in Libya and I think the White Houses response to those three separate events tends to muddle things, it gets even more muddled when Mitt Romney and Republican leadership starts running Obama administration apologizing for American values stuff regarding the message sent out by the Cairo Embassy hours before the protests in Cairo began. Then after the attacks and initial protests more protests exploded across the Muslim world and continued for days so there was a lot of stuff going on at the same time. So I think the best way to describe the whole situation is a cluster**** and I can't really fault the administration for having a sometimes muddled message.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/25/us-egypt-militant-libya-idUSBRE89O0UL20121025

Libyan suspect in U.S. envoy attack killed in Cairo

A Libyan militant suspected by Egypt of involvement in last month's attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya has been killed during a raid by Egyptian security forces in Cairo, a security official said on Thursday.

The Libyan was killed on Wednesday in a raid targeting him and other militants with suspected links to al Qaeda in Cairo's eastern district of Nasr City, the official said. Four Egyptian militants were detained in the operation, he added.

The Libyan, identified as Karim Ahmed Essam el-Azizi, was killed by a bomb he had tried to use against the security forces during the raid, the security official said.

It was not immediately clear what role Azizi had played in the assault on the U.S. consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on September 11, in which the ambassador, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans were killed.

The security official, who asked not to be named, said Azizi had been living in a rented apartment in Nasr City for the past three months. He said police had found 15 bombs and various weapons, including assault rifles, in the Libyan's flat.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/25/1089691/condi-rice-pours-cold-water-libya/

Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On ‘Benghazi-Gate’

Former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice broke with the majority of her party last night on Fox News, as she tried to hit the brakes on the right wing’s politicization of the recent attack in Libya.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/25/us-usa-libya-intelligence-idUSBRE89O1CK20121025

Senate intelligence panel to hold Libya attack hearings

The Senate intelligence committee on Thursday said it will hold hearings in November on security and intelligence issues raised by the September 11 attacks on American facilities in Libya.

In a statement, the committee said it first will hold a closed oversight hearing on November 15 on the Benghazi attacks, when lawmakers return after the November 6 presidential and congressional elections. The Democratic-controlled panel said additional hearings would follow.

Some Senate Republicans have said the committee should hold public hearings on the response to the attacks, in which U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other American officials were killed.

The committee, chaired by Senator Dianne Feinstein, said it had received briefings and documents related to the attacks

It said aspects under investigation include how U.S. intelligence and threat information relating to Libya and other Middle East countries was handled before September 11, when and how such information was disseminated, and how government agencies responded to the information.

This isn't about the balsa door shack of an embassy in alqaedaville.

Or knowing in 2 hours : kinda like on this board.

Now it's why did the admin have rice and others

Give rediculous comments for a week.

Or say 'it never made it to us in the debate

And like I said weeks ago: right after the election.

If these guys get in trouble I'll take out a loan myself: this is the RESPONSE that should have happened in force...

Woods and at least two others ignored those orders and made their way to the Consulate which at that point was on fire. Shots were exchanged. The quick reaction force from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the Consulate and Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. They could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/26/cia-operators-were-denied-request-for-help-during-benghazi-attack-sources-say/#ixzz2AQIP1Vwk

seems like the people that acted not only had a pretty good idea of what was going on, saved some people and kicked some ass.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/senators-demand-white-house-declassify-libya-video

Admin. rejects new claim about Libya attack

WASHINGTON (AP) — Obama administration officials defended their response to the September attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, amid new claims that the White House failed to send help quickly enough as militants overran the mission. The U.S. ambassador and three other Americans died in the hourslong battle.

Fox News reported that security officers working for the CIA in Benghazi heard the attack on the consulate but were twice told to wait before rushing to the compound. Fox also reported that U.S. officials refused when the security team asked for U.S. warplanes to bomb their attackers, which would have meant violating Libyan airspace.

In response to the report, CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood said the CIA "reacted quickly to aid our colleagues during that terrible evening in Benghazi."

She added: "Moreover, no one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate."

President Barack Obama said repeatedly Friday that his administration would "find out what happened" and punish those responsible, but he twice ducked questions about whether U.S. officials denied requests for help.

The new claims come as Republican senators demanded that the Obama administration make public the surveillance video taken during and just after the attacks.

I think it is irresponsible to make this such a major piece of the campaign at this point. It is not reasonable to expect the President or any of his appointees to be involved in tactical decisions such as allowing a QRF to be deployed from one compound to another or whether or not there should be some extra Marines assigned to a particular consulate/mission. If there were systemic issues of Diplomatic Security Service requests being denied across the board or major budget cuts etc then perhaps I think it would be more relevant. It is important to investigate and understand what happened and why. I favor the Bob Woodward suggestion of an independent investigation to get to the bottom of it. Fact of the matter is it looks like both sides are trying to play the "terrorism" angle to their own benefit. One downplaying it because it would make it look they weren't as successful at defeating this threat as they'd like to portray and the other side trying to make it look like they weren't successful at all. I agree with Condoleeza Rice

When an embassy panic button is hit it goes straight to the State Dept and is brought into the Situation Room in the White House?

Also heard the CIA annex got 3 prisoners from the attackers as they collected survivors...

And had to give them up the the Feb 17th lybian group.

Archived