Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Cole Twitter: Skins to possibly use transition tag, instead of franchise tag, on Fred Davis

Oldskool

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonColeYahoo/statuses/172829561262850052

Jason Cole

‏ @JasonColeYahoo

Follow

Sorry, Albert Breer reminds me, can't do franchise and trans tag. Look for Fred Davis to get transition tag, but franchise still in play.

Fred Davis - TE - Redskins

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole expects the Redskins to use the transition rather than franchise tag on free agent TE Fred Davis.

Teams cannot apply both the transition and franchise tags in the same year, so the Redskins can't use the other one on SS LaRon Landry. The transition tag takes into account the top ten salaries at a player's respective position as opposed to the top five under the franchise tag. The last NFL player to receive the transition tag was OT Max Starks back in 2008.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter Feb 23 - 6:50 PM

What is the compensation? You guys might think i am crazy but if his tender is valued at a 2nd or 3rd round pick and someone gave us that, i would be willing to trade him. Tight Ends are so easy to grab in the draft

Unless its changed in the new CBA, the compensation is NOTHING with the transition tag.

The only thing the transition tag does is gives the Skins right-of-first-refusal if the player signs an offer sheet with another team.

Unless its changed in the new CBA, the compensation is NOTHING with the transition tag.

The only thing the transition tag does is gives the Skins right-of-first-refusal if the player signs an offer sheet with another team.

This is correct.

Skinfan2k...this isnt a tender of a RFA (where compensation is received). He is a UFA and what oldskool said is correct.

Not sure I like this at all. So they're betting no one is willing to pay him big money to come to their team. But if they call our bluff we could potentially lose our best offensive weapon on a team with very very few offensive weapons. I'd rather hedge against this. It's bold and calculated and their probably right, but I'd feel like crap it we lost him.

Archived