Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TED series videos

AsburySkinsFan

I know many have seen some of these, others may not, but I find these videos extremely interesting and highly informative. But, I never know which one's I should watch or have a nice summary of what they're about. So I thought this might make a nice place to cache them.

Here's one I just watched, it is about the algorithmic filtering done by facebook and google and how they are creating a cloistered information bubble around us, and how access to information more than just "what they think we want to see" is important. I think this is interesting because in the "What I learned from ES" thread that popped up a week or so ago many of us point to the fact that we have been exposed to more news and variant opinions than our own and we've grown from that exposure...and what's the difference? We aren't being bubbled off from one another here at ES, I think there is something to be said for that.

bOE1HFEL8XA

I know many have seen some of these, others may not, but I find these videos extremely interesting and highly informative. But, I never know which one's I should watch or have a nice summary of what they're about. So I thought this might make a nice place to cache them.

Here's one I just watched, it is about the algorithmic filtering done by facebook and google and how they are creating a cloistered information bubble around us, and how access to information more than just "what they think we want to see" is important. I think this is interesting because in the "What I learned from ES" thread that popped up a week or so ago many of us point to the fact that we have been exposed to more news and variant opinions than our own and we've grown from that exposure...and what's the difference? We aren't being bubbled off from one another here at ES, I think there is something to be said for that.

It's been an issue with me for many years. From the very first moment I heard of targeted advertising, the marketing guy in me said "great, you can help me reach customers who are looking for a product like mine... what about attracting new customers?"

In advertising it's an issue for advertisers. On Google, when we are searching for news and information, it's an issue of incalculable importance to the individual and society as a whole.

Anyone who knows me knows of my disdain for conspiracy theorists. Many of you have heard me rant about the internet's role in promoting such lunacy by bringing these like minded fools together. The more people who believe stupid theories, the more it seems those theories are reasonable to like minded people who now have a support group. But the fact is Google and anyone else who filters information based on our recorded interests and what we have searched for in the past are contributing to what I consider a growing case of societal insanity. Conspiracy theorists are exposed to more conspiracies and less factual information, political parties are not exposed to contrary views and the country is becoming more and more divided. And If Google doesn't have a basis for tuning a given subject to you, they will base your search results on the prevailing winds of public opinion however right or wrong that opinion may be.

This isn't a minor issue. It's an issue that strikes to the very foundation of a healthy society.

It's a dilemma for sure ... if the providers of these free services to you only make money when people click on ads, then they are motivated to dive content and ads you will click on more than what might be the most relevant content to you.

When news sites, versus search engines, tailor content to the visitor, it is troubling for sure.

It's a dilemma for sure ... if the providers of these free services to you only make money when people click on ads, then they are motivated to dive content and ads you will click on more than what might be the most relevant content to you.

When news sites, versus search engines, tailor content to the visitor, it is troubling for sure.

Agreed, it is interesting because like the guy in the video said, the internet is now where print was and subsequently where tv media is, in that we the "reader" (of magazines, newspapers), "user" (google, yahoo, facebook), and "viewer" (television) has mistakenly assumed that we are the customer...instead we couldn't be more wrong, the advertisers are the customers we are the targets, and we gleefully line up to sit in front of their advertising because we think that we're controlling what we see. How easy it must seem to the media and advertisers to manipulate us when we don't even realize that we're being manipulated.

Archived