Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Like The Sound of Trading Down

rambler01

Some points frome me;

1) Foles does not fit our system.. he's more of a Phillip Rivers style player. Shanahan likes Elway and Cutler. Highly mobile QBs.

2) Weeden I happen to like, but he's 29. Not really someone you can sit to learn.

3) Grossman will NEVER be servicable. He turns the ball over too much.. always will.. and you can't win games turning the ball over.

Shannahan will have an opportunity to coach Foles at the Senior Bowl. If he looks like he can play at the next level, you draft the kid where ever the value makes sense, and tweak the the system a little to fit his strengths. The Redskins are in no position to pass on a 6'5" 240lb talent because he may not "fit" a system.

Weeden to me is a wildcard. Sure he'll be a 29 y/o rookie; however, if he impresses Shannanhan at the Senior Bowl then it becomes interesting. His maturity and ability to learn quickly makes him a potential day 1 starter for the next 6-7 years (I'll take that if he can play at the next level)

Wilson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short to be an effective QB in the NFL. Brees is listed at 6ft, but with Wilson listed at 5'11", he is shorter than Brees and he may either go undrafted/rookie FA or get picked in the 6-7 round. Would not spend a 1-4 round pick on him.

I got to disagree with you. Even in the pocket he is very accurate. I was surprise as heck to see it but dude does it somehow. He sees the whole field. I like his footwork, his playfakes, his arm is plenity strong, and I love his munipulate the coverage with his pumpfakes and lookoffs. I wouldn't be surprise that Mike goes after him. And I wouldn't be mad either. He looks like a QB he would covet.

I love love russell wilson, think hw would be great qb for us....there always going to be something negative to say, flutie did it and so did theisman, honestly watching him in the rose bowl he did not seem that short

Yeah I think how he operates is NFL level now. I like his playaction fakes, his pumpfakes, how he looks off coverage, his quick release, his footwork(he's quick in his drop), he is still accurate in the pocket, and he is deadly on rollouts. He definely look everybit of a second round QB and if he was 6'2" he would be a top 20 pick. I have no doubt about it.

As Redskin fans, we see QBs like Brees, Brady, Stafford, and almost Rodgers effortlessly toss the ball for 5,000 yds/40+ TDs and believe that franchise cornerstones are easily attainable with 1st Rd picks. The aforementioned men are elite to say the least. However, I truly believe that this franchise would experience great success with a signal caller who does the little things well; protect the ball, manage the game, read defenses at an above average level, and make the plays when called upon. He doesn't have to be Top 3 in the league; just above average and one who does not cost us games. I'd like to think that we can find this person outside of Luck and Griffin III should the price to move up be waaaaay to costly.

We'd do ourselves a big favor by keeping a close eye on Nick Foles, Tyler Wilson, and Brandon Weeden (I know he'll be 29 y/o rookie, but if he can play then we're in no position to complain about age).

You probably won't find that guy in this draft. You said you wanted an "above average level" QB. The past decade, only 1 guy drafted outside the first 32 picks has achieved that status. His name is Matt Schuab. Tony Romo sits to pee was undrafted and can claim the same above average level status. But that's 10 years and two guys. Players like Foles and Weeden, who should not be going in the top 32 picks, are unlikely to reach such a status. I know that Wilson is not coming out (probably would have been a first rounder). i don't get this wishcasting the assume is the Redskins gets these players that they will be good. Sure, it COULD happen. But it probably WON'T. Most drafts produce one "above average level" QB. The idea that there's a litany of great choices for the Redskins to develop is a red herring. The sad fact is while people want to fall in love with these other QBs, any pick used on them will likely be looked back on as a wasted pick in five years. I cannot say that with certainity, but I can say it with extreme probability.

I think Wilson has been passed over terribly because of height, and will probably shoot up draft boards when the combine hits, assuming he does well. That being said, he probably settles somewhere around the 4th round. I'd be perfectly fine with him if we had another QB to lead while Wilson learned the NFL. I don't know who that other QB is honestly.

You probably won't find that guy in this draft. You said you wanted an "above average level" QB. The past decade, only 1 guy drafted outside the first 32 picks has achieved that status. His name is Matt Schuab. Tony Romo sits to pee was undrafted and can claim the same above average level status. But that's 10 years and two guys. Players like Foles and Weeden, who should not be going in the top 32 picks, are unlikely to reach such a status. I know that Wilson is not coming out (probably would have been a first rounder). i don't get this wishcasting the assume is the Redskins gets these players that they will be good. Sure, it COULD happen. But it probably WON'T. Most drafts produce one "above average level" QB. The idea that there's a litany of great choices for the Redskins to develop is a red herring. The sad fact is while people want to fall in love with these other QBs, any pick used on them will likely be looked back on as a wasted pick in five years. I cannot say that with certainity, but I can say it with extreme probability.

This is unfortunately all too true. I looked at teams that had 3 or more playoffs appearances in any five year stretch since the 2000 season, and found that of the 16 QBs who led their teams as starters for all three playoffs berths, 9 were 1st rounders, 3 were 2nd rounders, 1 was a 4th rounder, 2 were 6th rounders, and 1 was an UDFA. (furthermore, the 1st round numbers are probably a little deflated due to Brees going 32 ovr, when he was projected mid 1st.)

The sad reality is that almost every QB taken who doesn't have a 1st round grade has some serious pieces missing in their game. The ones who fix those pieces and rise above mediocrity are few and far between. This is what scares me about Tannehill and Foles. They could be the next Plummer or Farve (both 2nd rounders), or they could be, well, any number of other 2nd round talent that no one remembers.

I think Wilson has been passed over terribly because of height, and will probably shoot up draft boards when the combine hits, assuming he does well. That being said, he probably settles somewhere around the 4th round. I'd be perfectly fine with him if we had another QB to lead while Wilson learned the NFL. I don't know who that other QB is honestly.

This is unfortunately all too true. I looked at teams that had 3 or more playoffs appearances in any five year stretch since the 2000 season, and found that of the 16 QBs who led their teams as starters for all three playoffs berths, 9 were 1st rounders, 3 were 2nd rounders, 1 was a 4th rounder, 2 were 6th rounders, and 1 was an UDFA. (furthermore, the 1st round numbers are probably a little deflated due to Brees going 32 ovr, when he was projected mid 1st.)

The sad reality is that almost every QB taken who doesn't have a 1st round grade has some serious pieces missing in their game. The ones who fix those pieces and rise above mediocrity are few and far between. This is what scares me about Tannehill and Foles. They could be the next Plummer or Farve (both 2nd rounders), or they could be, well, any number of other 2nd round talent that no one remembers.

Dare I say Peyton? No I kid. Maybe Chad Henne. But I really think Wilson can step in after a couple of weeks. He seems like he is on that level its just his height.

• 1 month later...
A lurker who finally decided to register here.

I've been reading quite a few threads and posts suggesting we should go all in for Luck or Griffin. In my humble opinion, the Colts will not field any offers for the #1 overall and absolutely draft Luck to be Peyton's successor (football is a long-tern business and Andrew Luck speaks to that).

With Luck not being a viable option, that leaves prospect "1B" in Griffin III. Here's the thing we all need to accept, the kid WILL NOT slip past Cleveland at #4 overall.....bottom line! Sure they have Colt McCoy, but it's clear the NFL potential between Griffin III and McCoy is absurdly different. It would probably make more sense if Cleveland went Richardson then Blackmon/Jeffery to give McCoy playmakers on offense; however, you don't pass up a once in a decade opportunity to draft a lights out prospect in Griffin III if he falls right in your lap without giving up anything. PERIOD!

Or quite honestly, Cleveland could outbid us and move to #2 with their two 1st rounders (it's just what I believe in my heart). Think about it, if you're the St. Louis GM you could take a couple 1st round selections right now; or, have a couple spread out over 2 years as the Redskins would have to put forth. If I'm St. Louis, I relinquish the #2 overall to Cleveland and recoup their two 1st round selections in 2012.

This leads me to the premise of the thread.....we are likely to miss out on both blue chip prospects and should focus on trading down to acquire as many picks as possible like last year. I believe we had 12 selections in the 2011 Draft; that was absolutely awesome because rebuilding a franchise starts with injecting it with talented youth. And quite honestly, moving up to #2 will be pricey....is that really something we can afford to do? Also, lets not count out Miami who might want a shot at the #2 overall selection and rights to Griffin III as well.

I felt the need to revisit my very first post and OP from January in light of the Blockbuster trade for the #2 overall and Robert Griffin III.

Looks like I was wrong about Cleveland, lol. Apparently, Holgrem did not want to part ways with the 22nd overall; we'll see if that was a wrong move on behalf of the Browns.

From the very beginning I was against "Going All In" and "Trading the Farm" for Robert Griffin III. We are a franchise that needs to get younger and talented all over the place which was why the 2011 Draft and those 12 draft picks were paramount and VERY much needed. In addition, we ARE NOT a QB away from winning the Super Bowl....however, the playoffs appear to be in arms reach now. (Maybe !)

I caught the news last night at a bar in DC...my friends were elated! I was thinking, what in JESUS NAME HAVE WE DONE!! I saw on the screen a 1st, 2nd, 1st & 1st were involved in the move for #2 overall and genuinely got upset at the bar. I was afraid Shannahan and Co. would do something this bold and they sure did. At first glance of 1st, 2nd, 1st & 1st flash on the screen, I thought "This franchise is so FREAKING RECKLESS; THIS BETTER WORK" !!!!

I then allowed myself to think more clearly...ok.....it's actually swapped 1sts, two additional 1sts + a 2nd. In any event, three 1sts and a 2nd is FOUR NFL starters that could have bolstered our still growing franchise which is now in the hands of Griffin III.

For the next two drafts, we must must absolutely hit on every 2nd round selection. For the next three, WE MUST absolutely hit on every 3rd round selection to balance blockbuster deal....PERIOD!. We also must become active players in Free Agency for the next 3 years since we actually have tons of cap space.

With a deal of this magnitude; Griffin III must absolutely start Day 1 (If Newton and Dalton did it.....Griffin III better be ready too!). Our front office now needs to get him a stud WR alongside Moss (it appears KC franchised Bowe...perhaps then Vincent Jackson or Maques Colston). Fred Davis gets back into the mix with Helu potent out in the flats and this team could be in the running for 10 wins in 2012. We also need to sure up the O-Line as well to make sure this kid isn't running for his life every other play.

I heard some experts compare Griffin III to "a much better Vick", and also "the mind of Steve Young". If this young man is anything like these comparisons...we'll be a solid franchise for the next 12-15 seasons. If he's not and falls flat on his face......LoL, I'm not even sure what I could say afterward.

With that said, I support this move for Robert Griffin III and expect him out on the field behind center Day 1 competing with the best our division and NFC has to offer.

Archived