Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB vs. Stacked Offensive Line

skins4ever17

Our 5 Super Bowl teams all had awesome OL's. The QB's were playing well, but certainly not legends.

Imagine what this team could have been with a Joe Montana, Dan Marion or John Elway at QB with that line. We happened to get an elite-for-a-short-time QB (Joey T) who declined really fast, a guy who was at times a good QB (stats were different back then but he was important to that Tampa team) who, while mostly declining, had a magical late season run and another guy who actually was fairly talented but was a less mobile Tony Romo sits to pee when it came to late in games and, again, declined precipitously.

That's not the same as just throwing some 'dude' back there and hoping for the best.

That's not the same as just throwing some 'dude' back there and hoping for the best.

I think that if Gibbs had even a Phil Simms level QB for his entire tenure, he would have set records that would never have been broken. The Skins of the 80s always get short-shrift in the discussion of "dynasties" because they had no unifying figure outside of Gibbs. Heck, you saw what happened when he got two excellent years out of Joe T. He spent the rest of his time here scrambling to fill the position and outside of Rypien's one insane year, I'm not sure he ever really did.

Something to ponder: Gibbs underachieved during his intial tenure here because the QB position underperformed. Discuss.

Something to ponder: Gibbs underachieved during his intial tenure here because the QB position underperformed. Discuss.

Did Gibbs not put a lot of effort into finding a good QB, or was it just bad luck that he ended up with one Joe Blow after another? Whatever the case, it was the same in Gibbs 2.

Did Gibbs not put a lot of effort into finding a good QB, or was it just bad luck that he ended up with one Joe Blow after another? Whatever the case, it was the same in Gibbs 2.

It's really all Jay Schroeder's fault for being Jay Schroeder.

By the way, if ES existed in 1990, there would have been a very vocal "Rypien sucks" contingent. I probably would have been part of it, because I am a dick. My argument, "Any QB who only gets sacked once every other game should have a better TD/INT ratio!!!"

So basically you are asking me between these 2 lineups:

QB: Andrew Luck/RGIII/Barkley

LT- Trent Williams

LG- Either Kory Licht/Maurice Hurt/FA signee

C- Will Montgomery

RG- Chris Chester/Kory Licht/Maurice Hurt

RT- Willie Smith/Sean Locklear

OR

QB: Rex Grossman

LT- Matt Kalil

LG- Kory Licht/Maurice Hurt

C- Will Montgomery

RG- Chris Chester

RT- Trent Williams

I'll take option numero uno

QB: Andrew Luck/RGIII/Barkley

LT- Trent Williams

LG- Either Kory Licht/Maurice Hurt/FA signee

C- Will Montgomery

RG- Chris Chester/Kory Licht/Maurice Hurt

RT- Willie Smith/Sean Locklear

When I see it on paper like that. Im going with the first option as well. I cant take Sexy Rexy anymore, I dont care if you throw in Kali. Im fine with building a Stud O-Line, but no more Sexy. Will see these next couple of games what Willie Smith Can do as well.

The game is different. It just is. It's more passing-oriented and when you have guys playing at the level of Rodgers and Brady, you need to be able to keep up.

It isn't the 1980s anymore whether you want to believe it or not. Just look at how offenses operate now.

Also, you're never going to find an OL as dominant as the Hogs were. Those were 300 lb monsters in an era where the average O-lineman was closer to 275 and the average D-lineman around 230-250. It just isn't the same anymore and we can't continue to live in the 1980s and expect that formula to work.

Very good points, terpskins.

Archived