Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB vs. Stacked Offensive Line

skins4ever17

Id rather have a Stud QB with our O-Line right now. I think we can address both positions. I understand OL and DL are important, but you can argue that QB is the "most important" position on the team. I think our Line has played fairly well. They've given Rex Grossman chances to throw and Rex either coughs it up, throws and interception or takes a sack. Rex can get rid of the ball way faster than what his been doing.

The answer- QB is more important

Id rather have a Stud QB with our O-Line right now. I think we can address both positions. I understand OL and DL are important, but you can argue that QB is the "most important" position on the team. I think our Line has played fairly well. They've given Rex Grossman chances to throw and Rex either coughs it up, throws and interception or takes a sack. Rex can get rid of the ball way faster than what his been doing.

The answer- QB is more important

Do you feel that we need a top 3 elite QB, or would a mid round first qb do? (Shanny might choose a random qb in the later rd he likes, is what i'm saying).

Do you feel that we need a top 3 elite QB, or would a mid round first qb do? (Shanny might choose a random qb in the later rd he likes, is what i'm saying).

Top 3 elite QB is what "I want." I understand that it could go the other way though.

Take a look at the top 5 QB's in the League now and then take them off their team, ALLA Peyton Manning

Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien, Washington

Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman, Dallas

Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman, Dallas

Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young, San Francisco

Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman, Dallas

Super Bowl XXXI - Bret Favre, Green Bay

Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway, Denver

Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway, Denver

Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner, St. Louis

Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens

Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady, New England

Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay

Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady, New England

Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady, New England

Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh

Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning, Indianapolis

Super Bowl XLII -Eli Manning, New York Giants

Super Bowl XLIII -Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh

Super Bowl XLIV- Drew Brees, Saints

Super Bowl XLV- Aaron Rodgers, Packers

But we also need to address the OL

Star QB all day every day. Look at the best teams in the NFL. They all have great QBs, regardless of OL strength.

Like the SuperBowl Redskins years? Yes you need a good QB, but no team is stopping a stacked OL from dictating the game in the air or the ground. Mark Rypien was sacked nine times, not in a game, in a year. The team ran at will, and he pass at will.

Like the SuperBowl Redskins years? Yes you need a good QB, but no team is stopping a stacked OL from dictating the game in the air or the ground. Mark Rypien was sacked nine times, not in a game, in a year. The team ran at will, and he pass at will.

The game is different. It just is. It's more passing-oriented and when you have guys playing at the level of Rodgers and Brady, you need to be able to keep up.

It isn't the 1980s anymore whether you want to believe it or not. Just look at how offenses operate now.

Also, you're never going to find an OL as dominant as the Hogs were. Those were 300 lb monsters in an era where the average O-lineman was closer to 275 and the average D-lineman around 230-250. It just isn't the same anymore and we can't continue to live in the 1980s and expect that formula to work.

I guess the Texans and 49ers should forfeit all the rest of their games, among others.

Tebow is showing people that the pro game isn't nearly as advanced over college as the ESPN idiots say it is. LSU and Alabama are in the NC game and they both are carried by their defenses and running games.

Elite QBs who can't run must have a stud OL or great OL coach. Brady's OL coach for years at least was there before Belicheck (over two decades).

Grossman had one year with a decent OL and his team went to the SB. I know they won most of their games with defense but their offense was the 2nd most improved that year behind the Saints in terms of yardage ranking. He hasn't had a good OL since.

The game is different. It just is. It's more passing-oriented and when you have guys playing at the level of Rodgers and Brady, you need to be able to keep up.

It isn't the 1980s anymore whether you want to believe it or not. Just look at how offenses operate now.

Also, you're never going to find an OL as dominant as the Hogs were. Those were 300 lb monsters in an era where the average O-lineman was closer to 275 and the average D-lineman around 230-250. It just isn't the same anymore and we can't continue to live in the 1980s and expect that formula to work.

This is a funny argument, blocking is still blocking. And if Brady or Rodgers was behind the line the Redskins have fielded they would not be the Brady and Rodgers you think they are. I am not saying Grossman is legit or the future, but still you must give the QB time to let plays develop. As a former corner and safety I know you can't cover forever. Yes the underneath stuff with the rules are hard to defend but there absolutely is a reason the Redskins have trouble in the RedZone and can't score consistently, they can't block consistently allowing plays to mature.

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

Stud QB. You could give Grossman 2 minutes to throw, he would still try to beat triple coverage, and throw INTs. You need a good QB making good decisions.

I don't disagree with that, he is that guy.

If Grossman had any mobility AT ALL he could be a servicable franchise QB.

Oxymoron.

Franchise QBs shouldn't be "serviceable". You should be able to rely on them to win you games regardless of the strength of the OL or the guys around them.

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 06:54 PM ----------

This is a funny argument, blocking is still blocking. And if Brady or Rodgers was behind the line the Redskins have fielded they would not be the Brady and Rodgers you think they are. I am not saying Grossman is legit or the future, but still you must give the QB time to let plays develop. As a former corner and safety I know you can't cover forever. Yes the underneath stuff with the rules are hard to defend but there absolutely is a reason the Redskins have trouble in the RedZone and can't score consistently, they can't block consistently allowing plays to mature.

I don't disagree that we need a stronger OL. I disagree that we can have a strong OL with Grossman and be a good team. Rodgers had an awful OL his first couple years starting (and it still isn't great now) and he still managed 4000 yard, 30 TD passing seasons. Brady has had inconsistent OL play. If they were behind our line, we'd be a very good team. That's how important QB play is, and yes it is more important than it was 30 years ago.

Stud QB.

I understand that a bad line can ruin a young QB. David Carr comes to mind. However, I don't think that our line is that bad. Even if we made no upgrades via the draft and FA (I think we will) I think we'd have a serviceable line that a top QB could succeed with.

If we had an atrocious OL I'd still want a top QB, but I'd work on building a line before throwing him out to the wolves. I'd say the Titans are doing a pretty good job with Locker. Didn't rush him out there, got him to experience NFL game speed and now he'll get his shot.

I don't disagree that we need a stronger OL. I disagree that we can have a strong OL with Grossman and be a good team. Rodgers had an awful OL his first couple years starting (and it still isn't great now) and he still managed 4000 yard, 30 TD passing seasons. Brady has had inconsistent OL play. If they were behind our line, we'd be a very good team. That's how important QB play is, and yes it is more important than it was 30 years ago.

Certainly with a dominate OL and Grossman the team would have been better, and how far from Good they would be is debatable.

Certainly with a dominate OL and Grossman the team would have been better, and how far from Good they would be is debatable.

Right, I think we'd be a lot better. We'd be able to run the ball with more consistency and Grossman would have more time to throw.

That being said, I don't think his protection has been THAT bad as of late and he still hasn't gotten it done. Nowadays, you really need that QB you can rely on to win you games regardless of circumstances and surrounding players. I honestly don't think, over the last few weeks, that Grossman has had significantly worse protection than Rodgers but the results still speak for themselves. The Packers also have a much shoddier defense than ours and they still are undefeated. The only reason for that is Rodgers.

Right, I think we'd be a lot better. The Packers also have a much shoddier defense than ours and they still are undefeated. The only reason for that is Rodgers.

Yeah it would be hard to imagine how far the team could go next year with Rodgers starting at QB, or someone nearly that good. The guy just has a rifle and not a cannon which is wildly inaccurate.

I hope we bring Rex back as a bridge/backup, but we need to find a QB. Rex is better than his rep, but even when he's "good Rex" his physical skills hold him back. It takes all the effort he has to make a throw Aaron Rodgers can make with a flick of the wrist.

I will say this about Rex. At times he has held on to the ball too long, but he also showed some real courage in the pocket. The Jets game was the only game I saw him looked rattled in the pocket.

I would say stud QB first, and then you continue building the O-line after.

Regardless of the strength of the O-line, the position of QB still has a lot of other things that need to be prime. Decision-making, be able to make the tough throws when WRs are covered, but there happens to be a small opening.

Brady's first TD to the TE, the coverage wasn't horrible, but Brady was smart and used the size factor, threw the ball over everyone's head knowing the TE had a better than good chance to catch it, and if he didn't no one would. Little things like that are the difference between a good QB and a GREAT QB.

Archived