Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES RB Discussion Thread- Poke those Pukes!!!

brandymac27

No way Shanahan has some devious master plan to "preserve" Helu or hide him. You play your best players, period.

People are quickly forgetting how hard Torain ran early in the year. Same guy folks. He is a hard, downhill, streaky runner that if you can get going, is dangerous. That's why he is starting. Helu fits the traditional "change of pace" back much better than Torain would.

Now that we have Choice on the roster. I bet we see Helu pick up some more carries earlier im the game and maybe even start over the next couple weeks.

It's not some master plan smoke and mirror stuff here, it's just football and scheme, don't look into it anymore. It's frustrtating as fans because if you've been watching, Helu is clearly the more versatile and explosive back, and that's what we need on offense, some damn excitement, some breakaway plays, some confidence. But we'll see what happens here over the next couple weeks...my gut is, rightfully so, Helu picks up carries early.

That's not Torrain. That's the design of the play.

I can not for the life of me find any logic to the selection of RB on game day. Helu seems to be the most effective at running the ball, but gets used the least. Torrain is most effective at running between the tackles, but for some reason it seems like thy give him nothing but stretch plays to the edge.

I don't get it. I don't get it at all. The running game has me questioning Kyle's play calling.

I also can't understand the rationale of the coaches. We have all seen that Helu has by far been the most effective runner this year (including THT) and is also the best receiver out the back field, but they continue to stick Torain and now Choice back there. Torain is averaging 1.58 yds per carry outside of that Rams game. Helu is averaging 4.9 ypc this year. Helu is also 3rd on the team in receptions.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

No way Shanahan has some devious master plan to "preserve" Helu or hide him. You play your best players, period.

People are quickly forgetting how hard Torain ran early in the year. Same guy folks. He is a hard, downhill, streaky runner that if you can get going, is dangerous. That's why he is starting. Helu fits the traditional "change of pace" back much better than Torain would.

Torain had 1 good game! That is it. Since the Rams game (his first of the season) he has had one game with a ypc average above 2.0 and that was against Philly with 2.2

Helu needs to star from on out

I, have never heard any coach in the preserve players outside of Qb's.

Torain should be on the bench and choice can be the ground and pound back Imo

Couldn't agree more. Helu runs with way more aggression and speed than Torain or any other RB on our roster. Why he doesn't start and get at least 20 carries every game is beyond me.

I also can't understand the rationale of the coaches. We have all seen that Helu has by far been the most effective runner this year (including THT) and is also the best receiver out the back field, but they continue to stick Torain and now Choice back there. Torain is averaging 1.58 yds per carry outside of that Rams game. Helu is averaging 4.9 ypc this year. Helu is also 3rd on the team in receptions.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

Torain had 1 good game! That is it. Since the Rams game (his first of the season) he has had one game with a ypc average above 2.0 and that was against Philly with 2.2

So you can take away Torain's "1 good game" - take away Helu's "1 good game" and what are you left with? If you remove those 14 receptions, where does he stand?

Im not saying Helu is not my preferred player at RB, he is, no question. I'm just saying that this offense is designed to utilize multiple runners, and with our current roster options pre-Tashard Choice, Torain fits the bill as the lead back with Helu coming in as change of pace. That's all.

All the ridiculous theories about "saving" Helu, or "if you take away the one good game" BS is just that, typical EXTREEEEEEEEEMEEEEEEEEEskins fans conjecture. The reality is, we need multiple guys touching the ball, Torain has played well enough over the years when healthy, and given his style of running, he is the lead back. I dont think Shanahan leading up to this game had seen enough out of all the backs to make the call...I think now he has. And thats my 2nd point - I think the Shanahan's see what we're seeing as well, hence the Choice pickup, and Helu will begin to get more carries. Everyone's happy.

OL has been getting blown up. Let Torain and Choice to the beating while Helu gets experience carries sprinkled in. Did you see how many times Choice got destroyed in the backfield? RBs careers last based on the beating they take. If we want Helu a part of our turn around in a few years, I understand Shanahan preserving him. Especially with this terrible run blocking.

Helu has by far been our best back. He's averaging 4.9 ypc, over a yard per carry better than the other guys. And he's been an excellent receiver out of the backfield. Either the staff is blind or they are just breaking him in slowly as a rookie. I believe it is the latter which is pretty smart. Especially given the state of this season.

So you can take away Torain's "1 good game" - take away Helu's "1 good game" and what are you left with? If you remove those 14 receptions, where does he stand?

Im not saying Helu is not my preferred player at RB, he is, no question. I'm just saying that this offense is designed to utilize multiple runners, and with our current roster options pre-Tashard Choice, Torain fits the bill as the lead back with Helu coming in as change of pace. That's all.

All the ridiculous theories about "saving" Helu, or "if you take away the one good game" BS is just that, typical EXTREEEEEEEEEMEEEEEEEEEskins fans conjecture. The reality is, we need multiple guys touching the ball, Torain has played well enough over the years when healthy, and given his style of running, he is the lead back. I dont think Shanahan leading up to this game had seen enough out of all the backs to make the call...I think now he has. And thats my 2nd point - I think the Shanahan's see what we're seeing as well, hence the Choice pickup, and Helu will begin to get more carries. Everyone's happy.

Take away's helu's best rushing game (against arizona) and best receiving game ( against SF) and he still has a 4.24 yds/carry and 20 less yds with 13 less carries than Torain does with his good game, and still 13 more catches for 89 yds.

FACT is that Helu has been better than Torain. Torain would have been cut by any other team

I'm not sold on Helu. He doesn't seem to break tackles. He's was about one broken tackle away from huge gains about 3-4 times yesterday. Perhaps a summer in an NFL weight program will get him the strength/balance he needs.

Admittedly his stats look great (see below). The guy gets a first down pretty much 1/4 carries and 2/3 on third down! :hammer:

G Att Yds Avg Lg TD 1st

FIRST DOWN 0 32 164 5.1 21 0 8

SECOND DOWN 0 16 75 4.7 13 0 4

THIRD DOWN 0 3 9 3.0 7 0 2

FOURTH DOWN 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0

Archived