Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great new tech toy - Boxee

dockeryfan

Just got one of these things, and it's awesome.

I bought it specifically to play my old superbowls on my TV. (I have all but a few, and some great championship games as well from the 50s) I've started a few threads in the past about taking these old games and trying to burn them to DVD. Burning is a pain in the azz. Sometimes the burns don't work, it changes the compression...lots of things. This little gem takes all your video files and plays them. Doesn't matter the format. AVI, MPEG2 3 4 , whatever. All your audio files as well. MP3, FLAC, OGG, AAC. It doesn't matter, it seamlessly plays them all. I hooked up a hard drive to the boxee, and that's it. All the files can be played.

It has a ton of apps as well, but the great thing is the repositories. Tons of online content available to stream...movies, TV shows, etc.

179 bucks at Best Buy. One of the best things I ever bought for my TV.

• 2 months later...

I've been debating between Boxee and Roku for an option for finally dumping our DTV (contract is over at last!).

My question as somewhat of a tech moron, is how user friendly is it for say kids ages 10 and 12? Is it tough to learn to use and is it really something we can rely on to find online content/programming that could replace our DTV service?

Boxee has a very simple user interface - it's mainly a bunch of big icons (similar to Netflix). I've been able to find just about anything through Boxee - coupled with Netflix and/or Hulu, you will get most up-to-date programming as well.

we already have netflix, I assume Hulu plus will have a fee too?

Just trying to add up all the costs to see if its worth it.

Whats the difference between a simple wifi enabled "smart" TV and one of these units?

• 4 weeks later...

So I think we are ready to try the Boxee, the one with the local HD channels upgrade.

Question for the pros:

We are also upgrading the tv. Would there be any sense at all in getting a TV with web app abilities (wifii capable and such) when we are getting the boxee too? I am assuming its a waste since the same apps would run through boxee, but I wanted to be sure.

I bought the family a Roku Box (their top of the line Roku 2 XS) for Christmas, we love it. We have Netflix and Drama Fever accounts. We are not hard-core sports; nor hard-core TV fans, so not getting a lot of "new" TV shows doesn't bother us. Although through Roku we can get the NHL, NBA, and MLB packages via their online accounts... (and MLS) so I guess the only sport it's not friendly to is the NFL (it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL put its NFL.com content up there next season; and their NFL Replay package... dear NFL you are morons if you don't market your sport to folks like me and my family). My son pretty much watches NHL and NBA highlights in the morning instead of SportsCenter (since we don't have ESPN)... the sports leagues are going to put SportsCenter out of business if they keep going down this path in 5 years (but they still will need ESPN to produce and distribute through cable). Of course the packages cost money.. we're probably saving ~ $40.

The best thing about it is discovering alternative and independent media shows... but again, I don't have too much free to to spend it on tv, which is why a Roku+Netflix is great for us. I really think this Internet TV is the wave of the future, and is practically delivering the ala carte TV people want to have.... but we'll see...

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 07:05 PM ----------

To the poster thinking of getting Boxee or Roku; you really need to look at the support and features they all have; since they all do different things. Roku, Boxee, and WDTV products all have some pluses and negatives... Roku doesn't do local media streaming that well, but has a great interface for watching IPTV... and with some help can stream from a network share (if I had one). Of course the "best" option is a HTPC, but try building one that consumes something like 5 watts.... you can't.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 07:05 PM ----------

[/color]To the poster thinking of getting Boxee or Roku; you really need to look at the support and features they all have; since they all do different things. Roku, Boxee, and WDTV products all have some pluses and negatives... Roku doesn't do local media streaming that well, but has a great interface for watching IPTV... and with some help can stream from a network share (if I had one). Of course the "best" option is a HTPC, but try building one that consumes something like 5 watts.... you can't.

I'll have to look into the roku unit too, thanks for the lead.

For the rest, sadly, much of what you just said here went way over my techy limited knowledge head. We really are just looking for a user friendly streaming unit that isnt too difficult to find some programming to replace our DTV subscriotion

• 3 weeks later...

First report after using Boxee for a little while. WE LOVE IT!

While its a chore to sift through bad links in playlists. It's definityely worth it.

We've watched the current season of Shameless from showtime (free!) and my wife just saw the premier of the Big C, which doesnt actually air until next week!

We even found a bootleg version of Hunger Games on the day after it opened in theaters.

This has allowed us to ditch DTV entirely, hopefully, I'll be able to find options for skins games that arent aired here too.

Archived