Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On Tanking: How many people would have to know and what would happen if word got out?

Mr. Nostril

Due to Andrew Luck's perceived status as future superstar, there has been a lot of talk about tanking the season for various teams this year. I'm curious what it would take for a team to tank a season, and what would happen if it were proven that a team actually did it.

First, how many people would have to know?

My best guess is you could do it with only 4 people within the organization knowing that it was happening.

1. Team Owner: Obviously, if he's not on board, everyone involved just gets fired.

2. GM: I don't think it's logistically necessary for the GM to know, but if you're tanking to acquire talent in the draft, and he's the head evaluator of talent and personnel moves, you wouldn't do it unless he thought there was significant enough talent available to make the whole thing worth it.

3. Head Coach: I think the coach would have to know. He's too involved, and he would have to be the integral piece to the whole thing. He'd have to hold the line to the assistant coaches, players, and the media that "Things aren't going well this season, but we just need to get out there and prepare for our next opponent and hopefully get a W next week." All the while, coming up with subtly lackluster game plans.

4. Head Trainer: To be really conservative when evaluating injuries, and really quick to sideline good players.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone else would have to know.

Now imagine, what if a team successfully, tanked a season, and somehow the news got out. It seems to me that the repercussions would be more than simply an angry fan base. It seems like there would be legal repercussions. An NFL team is a business, and they're selling the team to live spectators and television stations with the implied agreement that they're putting out the best team they can and are trying to win. If it turns our that, for a season, they were trying to lose, wouldn't they be liable for any revenue earned that season.

Couldn't players and coaches sue them for intentionally making them look bad and hurting their future earning potential? Couldn't sidelined players, especially those in contract years, sue them and say they were denying them the opportunity to perform, and earn future contracts?

What about Vegas? Would legal sports books be obligated to declare "no action" on games involving that team, and return all losing bets? Could the sports books sue the team to reclaim the money lost on winning bets against them?

I'm not a lawyer, and just based on the sheer number of people who are members of this forum, I assume that some people here are. What would be the worst-case-scenario consequences of a tanked season?

Plus, we're not even sure he's going to declare after this year.

He's coming out Boss, he said it on college gameday. I seriously doubt if he stays another year. What else does he have to prove, besides winning the Heisman or National Championship? If I was him, I wouldn't stick around.

But back on topic, if the word got out if such and such tanked the season in order to get player X, a forfeit of next year's draft should be the starting point and a hefty fine to that organization.

He's coming out Boss, he said it on college gameday. I seriously doubt if he stays another year. What else does he have to prove, besides winning the Heisman or National Championship? If I was him, I wouldn't stick around.

But back on topic, if the word got out if such and such tanked the season in order to get player X, a forfeit of next year's draft should be the starting point and a hefty fine to that organization.

It may depend on the team, sure he would come out for the Colts but maybe not the Dolphins.

The Redskins have to be tanking on purpose with all the confidence they put in Beck.... Even Grossman was a last minute signing.

And with the OC being the HC's son, it becomes even easier to hamstring the offense on purpose...

I refuse to accept that the team actually sucks this bad for no reason...

I disagree. You're punishing a team for losing? Makes no sense.

I disagree. You're punishing a team for losing? Makes no sense.

Don't people kicked out of fantasy football leagues with money on the line for failing to submit rosters once their team is no longer competitive? Aren't trades clearly designed to dump their good players and stack another good team considered collusion, rejected, and possibly considered grounds for not inviting participants to play the following season.

How isn't tanking a football season the same thing, but on a much larger scale?

Don't people kicked out of fantasy football leagues with money on the line for failing to submit rosters once their team is no longer competitive? Aren't trades clearly designed to dump their good players and stack another good team considered collusion, rejected, and possibly considered grounds for not inviting participants to play the following season.

How isn't tanking a football season the same thing, but on a much larger scale?

Fantasy football isn't real football.

Archived