Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins trade up for Luck?

issapunk

Here is the issue with the people saying we have too many holes so there is no way we should/would give up picks to trade up for a QB now. Shanahan apparently disagrees with you. A lot. In the 2010 draft, according to many accounts, Shanny tried to trade up to get Bradford. We don't know for certain but I did read that they were offering the Rams something like 2 1sts and a 2nd or 3rd but the Rams were pretty much dead set on taking him. I'm assuming that most of you would agree that in 2010 we had a much worse defense and a much worse OL than this year, and that includes depth. But Shanahan was still apparently willing to give up a lot to get Bradford anyway. If Shanahan wants Luck and he thinks Luck will be as good as most believe/hope he will be, I'm guessing he will be willing to part with quite a bit to get him.

I want to believe you, but without facts, that's like saying "I heard Shanahan wanted to trade all our 1st's for the next 5 years for Cam Newton"

Rumors or Rumors.

Kellen Moore is going to be a very good backup QB at best. Don't let the stats fool you - he's not NFL material.

I don't think its just the stats. Dude has a very quick release and is very accurate while doing it.

He is also has good pocket presence (at least from the games I have seen).

Is he a 1st rounder? No, but he can succeed as a starter in the league if put in the right position.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

Here is the issue with the people saying we have too many holes so there is no way we should/would give up picks to trade up for a QB now. Shanahan apparently disagrees with you. A lot. In the 2010 draft, according to many accounts, Shanny tried to trade up to get Bradford. We don't know for certain but I did read that they were offering the Rams something like 2 1sts and a 2nd or 3rd but the Rams were pretty much dead set on taking him. I'm assuming that most of you would agree that in 2010 we had a much worse defense and a much worse OL than this year, and that includes depth. But Shanahan was still apparently willing to give up a lot to get Bradford anyway. If Shanahan wants Luck and he thinks Luck will be as good as most believe/hope he will be, I'm guessing he will be willing to part with quite a bit to get him.

You also remember we had the 4th overall pick that year and it still wasn't enough. I have heard we tried to move up, but no where did I read on the type of compensation.

Can you please show me where we offered that? Very curious, because if we offered all that and had no shot, just IMAGINE what it would take to get Luck.

I don't think its just the stats. Dude has a very quick release and is very accurate while doing it.

Is he a 1st rounder? No, but he can succeed as a starter in the league if put in the right position.

I like the guy and would like to see him do well, but I think he has a lot of issues with size, arm strength, footwork, and delivery that will need to be corrected. He generally does have good pocket presence, but I've also seen him do the back foot thing a lot of the time and he has been known to force throws. That may work at Boise, but forcing throws in the NFL with that lack of arm strength will hurt him.

I want to believe you, but without facts, that's like saying "I heard Shanahan wanted to trade all our 1st's for the next 5 years for Cam Newton"

Rumors or Rumors.

Since it didn't actually come out of Shanahan's mouth, it is still technically a rumor yes. But multiple people with inside info, I believe including insiders here, confirmed that this happened; that he tried to trade up like that for Bradford. No, we can't be certain and Shanahan isn't going to tell, but all things considered I'm inclinded to give it the benefit of the doubt.

How can anyone say Kellen Moore is no more then a backup? He has a great release, and plays under center unlike a lot of college QB's, so his footwork wouldn't of been to much of an issue

But his footwork IS an issue. Just because someone plays under center doesn't mean they have good footwork. He's got a lot of things going for him, to be sure, but he has just as many things against him.

But his footwork IS an issue. Just because someone plays under center doesn't mean they have good footwork. He's got a lot of things going for him, to be sure, but he has just as many things against him.

I'm not a scout but I've watched him play, and he sells the PA well, and his footwork didn't look bad to me. Maybe i've missed his scouting report. Any college QB coming out is going to be RAW at first, it's something you have to deal with. This is getting off subject though..

No to trading picks for Luck. That's my stand on it.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

You also remember we had the 4th overall pick that year and it still wasn't enough. I have heard we tried to move up, but no where did I read on the type of compensation.

Can you please show me where we offered that? Very curious, because if we offered all that and had no shot, just IMAGINE what it would take to get Luck.

If the Skins can trade up and get Luck regardless of the price then they should trade up and get him.

16 of 26 for 188 and a TD wasn't a very good game, marginal at best. I watched the game (my best friend is a TAMU fan) and it was yet another one that they tried to give away. He did some good with his feet, but I haven't been overly impressed so far.

he scored 2 td's with his feet and was accurate throughout the entire game. see my breakdown here: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?352158-2012-Comprehensive-NFL-Draft-Database/page98

it may not have been an eye popping 6 passing td's and 400+ yards like in the baylor game, but make no doubt about it, the texas tech game was a good one for tannehill.

The coaching staff and front office NEEDS to do what they believe is the best thing for the Washington Redskins long term. If Andrew Luck is as good as he is projected to be, then he could easily stabilize the biggest problem this team has had for DECADES for over a decade by being our quarterback. If that is the case, to get a franchise quarterback of his caliber, one of the most sure-shot prospects in over ten years, they MUST do ANYTHING they can to get him.

Imagine the Patriots without Brady the past ten years. You don't have to imagine the Colts without Peyton, because that has been shown to the football world every week this season. There is no way in the entire world that those respective teams wouldn't give up every pick they have for the next three years to get those guys again if they were coming out in this draft. Imagine the Washington Redskins having one of them, from the beginning of their careers, behind center for at least the next ten years. All the "holes" both of those teams have had over the years, but they were still at the top of the league every year because of their quarterbacks. Look at what we've been able to accomplish with a quarterback that most people on this board think is mediocre on his best day. With a true franchise quarterback, we would could be better than the Packers currently are for ten plus years.

If there is a deal that they can get done, then they HAVE to take it. That is what their jobs are to begin with. Let them do their jobs!

I just hope Shannahan doesn't think like you. I have a feeling he doesn't.

I think Shanny is a smart man who is willing to take a calculated risk by trading up and securing a top flight QB such as Luck, and not settling for what's there. If Shanny can he should move up. Can you name a QB that has this much talent in the last 10 years?

I think Shanny is a smart man who is willing to take a calculated risk by trading up and securing a top flight QB such as Luck, and not settling for what's there. If Shanny can he should move up. Can you name a QB that has this much talent in the last 10 years?

Correct, he will take a calculated risk. I just hope his calculations are not like your's.

You are not listening to my point. It has nothing to do with my opinion on who Luck is. It is what is will cost to get him. NO PLAYER in football is worth it without taking a snap in the NFL. That is my opinion.

Edit: I asked you this earlier, but Apple right now looks to be as secure of a company you can invest in. Why don't you invest every single penny you have into there stock?

Correct, he will take a calculated risk. I just hope his calculations are not like your's.

You are not listening to my point. It has nothing to do with my opinion on who Luck is. It is what is will cost to get him. NO PLAYER in football is worth it without taking a snap in the NFL. That is my opinion.

Edit: I asked you this earlier, but Apple right now looks to be as secure of a company you can invest in. Why don't you invest every single penny you have into there stock?

I agree.. Can't trade away your whole future to add in a QB.

I am listening to your point but what you don't understand is this a lot of GM's will do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB. One of the best guys in the Draft business Mike Mayock will say the same thing when it comes to getting a Franchise QB you do whatever it takes to get that QB. If cost more that’s fine when does a player like this comes around? Hardly ever especially like a guy like Luck so yes if you have to trade the farm to get him then do it. So let me ask you this say that some other team makes the trade for Luck and he turns out to be the monster that everyone thought and the skins even though they didn't get him they had the chance and you were happy that they didn't make the trade and we drafted a medicore QB and those picks turned out to be OK but nothing special. How as fan would you feel then knowing that we had an opportunity to get a QB of this caliber?

No I just didn't make my reply clear. I didn't say Moore gives us a better chance then Luck. I said we would be better off getting someone like Moore, where he will drop down to us instead of trading away our picks to grab Luck. The QB depth in this draft has potential to be very deep. So no point in trading away everything for one guy.

You realize the production and impact of Moore, an ILB, and RT has to be the same as Luck right. Luck will be the best QB in the league for atleast 7 or 8 years. I'm going to say thats 7 or 8 years of playoffs. And thats selling him and a team like ours when we have a great defense.

You realize the production and impact of Moore, an ILB, and RT has to be the same as Luck right. Luck will be the best QB in the league for atleast 7 or 8 years. I'm going to say thats 7 or 8 years of playoffs. And thats selling him and a team like ours when we have a great defense.

He hasn't taken an NFL snap? I don't understand all you guys and your crystal ball.

How can anyone say Kellen Moore is no more then a backup? He has a great release, and plays under center unlike a lot of college QB's, so his footwork wouldn't of been to much of an issue

For one Kellen is 5'10 if that. He is 175 lbs. He has a weak arm. He has a hitch in his throwing motion. And I'm going to tell you something in college the teams that play pro style offense you can exploit young defenders. He is smart but defenses are going to be on his level with the brains in the NFL. And when you bring up Brees it took him 5 years to get where he is at right now. Are you welling to wait and hang your hat on that?

So let me ask you this say that some other team makes the trade for Luck and he turns out to be the monster that everyone thought and the skins even though they didn't get him they had the chance and you were happy that they didn't make the trade and we drafted a medicore QB and those picks turned out to be OK but nothing special. How as fan would you feel then knowing that we had an opportunity to get a QB of this caliber?

Do you realize you put a lot of assumptions in there? What happens if that mediocre QB is actually really good like Roth? What happens if those other two picks are great like Polamalu and Holmes? Don't ask me a question when you have to put your on assumptions before the question to prove your point. No point is proven.

You still didn't answer my question.

Why are you not investing every single penny you got into Apple right now?

NFL analyst have gone on record saying that Luck is the 4th best QB in the world right now that's including NFL QB's that speaks volumes of how good this guy is.

Okay.. Ill agree with you when he's thrown a pass in the NFL. NFL analysts are always right though!!! (sarcasm)

For one Kellen is 5'10 if that. He is 175 lbs. He has a weak arm. He has a hitch in his throwing motion. And I'm going to tell you something in college the teams that play pro style offense you can exploit young defenders. He is smart but defenses are going to be on his level with the brains in the NFL. And when you bring up Brees it took him 5 years to get where he is at right now. Are you welling to wait and hang your hat on that?

Don't need to bring up Brees. KM is 6'0... I'm not saying KM is the answer, im just giving examples of the depth at QB in the next draft. Even RG III is a great prospect.

nope. i wouldnt be suprised is kellen moore goes very late in the draft if at all.

Do you realize you put a lot of assumptions in there? What happens if that mediocre QB is actually really good like Roth? What happens if those other two picks are great like Polamalu and Holmes? Don't ask me a question when you have to put your on assumptions before the question to prove your point. No point is proven.

You still didn't answer my question.

Why are you not investing every single penny you got into Apple right now?

Like Santonio Holmes? Roth who Matt Roth? Man apparently you haven't watch Luck play before normally I wouldn't go so gaga over a QB especially with us probably drafting in the middle of the first rd but this guy is worth it.Trust me he is worth that trade up. Acutally I have invested my whole 401k in Apple and has given me a great return.

How much do you think Dwight Freeney is worth? In his prime how much? Lets say he is worth a 1st and 2nd at the age of 25. How much is Mathis worth in his prime? Lets say he's worth a 1st. Take both of those off the Colts. But you still have Peyton would the Colts have a better chance right now with a healthy Peyton to win their division without both Freeney and Mathis?

Archived