Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Research in Motion may be done after crash

rdsknbill

http://www.iol.co.za/business/business-news/blackberry-crash-may-sink-rim-1.1156137

The widespread outage of BlackBerry’s messaging and browsing services this week could deal the smartphone brand’s Canadian parent, Research In Motion (RIM), “a fatal blow”, according to telecoms analysts.

The outage of BlackBerry’s data service on Monday and again on Tuesday was undoubtedly an embarrassment for the company, which is fast losing market share to competitors in the global smartphone segment and faces corporate action instituted by a dissatisfied shareholder.

Clink link to read more

Makes me glad I got out of it and got a Droid

Yup, RIM is done. Terrible timing for this. With the release of the iPhone 4s, iOS 5, then upcoming Nexus Prime, and the success so far of Windows Phone 7, RIM is in big trouble. The last thing they could afford right now was to have their phones basically be unusuable for almost 2 days. HUGE hit for them.

Ok, I know I don't understand all the inside tech stuff, but how does the manufacturer of a phone cause the data plan for phones to stop working? I thought you bought the phone from the company and then everything else went through the cell phone service providers? :whoknows:

RIM runs the blackberry email servers

Ok, I know I don't understand all the inside tech stuff, but how does the manufacturer of a phone cause the data plan for phones to stop working? I thought you bought the phone from the company and then everything else went through the cell phone service providers? :whoknows:

Their phones have a BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) and some also have BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server).

I did notice that all my emails on Monday came in a couple spurts, but I was out of town and figured it was the coverage on the Eastern Shore.

I know my BlackBerry is not the height of technology, but I want a a real keyboard, love using it for email, and BBM is great.

Archived