Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Charity Fund - Poll Winner: Wounded Warrior Project !!

pez

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

All,

Poll is now available for voting. This poll will be open until Saturday September 10. As mentioned

at the previous thread, we will accept donations at the Extremeskins tailgate in addition to

accepting donations via paypal (Huly will be the paypal contact).

As suggested by SWVASkinFan, we will actually support two charities. The charity that is voted

in via this poll will be supported directly via the monetary donations, meanwhile, we will also be

collecting aluminum can pop tabs at the tailgate and send them in to the Ronald McDonald

House program.

Please keep in mind while you are voting that we would like to select a charity that we can have

a big impact upon.

If you have any questions, concerns or ideas, please let us know in this thread or you can PM

us.

Thank you all for your support!

4paws.jpg

4 Paws for Ability

4 Paws for Ability, Inc. mission is to:

• Enrich the lives of people with disabilities by the training and placement of service dogs to
    provide individuals with companionship and promote independent living
  • Educate the public to accept the use of service dogs in public places
  • Assist with animal rescue whenever possible by obtaining many of our animals from shelters
    and rescue groups

aspca.jpg

ASPCA - The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) was the first humane

society to be established in North America and is, today, one of the largest in the world. Our

organization was founded by Henry Bergh in 1866 on the belief that animals are entitled to kind

and respectful treatment at the hands of humans, and must be protected under the law.

Headquartered in New York City, the ASPCA maintains a strong local presence, and with

programs that extend our anti-cruelty mission across the country, we are recognized as a

national animal welfare organization. We are a privately funded 501©(3) not-for-profit

corporation, and proud to boast more than 1 million supporters across the country.

cafb.jpg

Capital Area Food Bank

The mission of the Capital Area Food Bank is to feed those who suffer from hunger in the

Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area by acquiring food and distributing it through our network of

member agencies; and to educate, empower and enlighten the community about the issues of

hunger and nutrition.

czc.jpg

Comfort Zone Camp

Comfort Zone Camp is a nonprofit 501©3 bereavement camp that transforms the lives of

children who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver. The free

camps include confidence building programs and age-based support groups that break the

emotional isolation grief often brings. Comfort Zone Camps are offered to children 7-17, and are

held year-round across the Country. We have offices in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey,

and Virginia.

fischer.jpg

Fischer House Foundation

The Fisher House program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America's military

in their time of need. The program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in

uniform and the hardships of military service by meeting a humanitarian need beyond that

normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

gmc.jpg

Georgetown Ministry Center

Georgetown ministry center is a non-profit social service organization dedicated since 1987 to

finding lasting solutions for people who are homeless on the streets of Georgetown. Our goal is

to get each homeless person we meet off the street and into safe, appropriate housing. GMC

offers counceling and information services, provides street outreach, showers and laundry, and

employs a consulting psychiatrist who sees people in our office and on the street.

ha.jpg

Histiocytosis Association

The Histiocytosis Association is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to addressing the

unique needs of patients and families dealing with the effects of histiocytic disorders while

leading the search for a cure. It is the only organization of its kind, connecting the patient and

medical communities to:

• Grow and share knowledge of histiocytic disorders,
  • Provide critical emotional and educational support to patients and families, and
  • Identify and fund key research initiatives that will lead to a world free of histiocytic disorders.

hart.jpg

HART - Homeless Animal Rescue Team

HART is a no-kill animal rescue/support group, incorporated in 1990, that takes in and rehomes

stray, abused and unwanted dogs and cats. Whether the animal is a give-up or stray, HART

works with local veterinarians, foster homes, kennels, and trainers to provide temporary housing,

medical care and, where appropriate, training for our animals until s/he is placed in a loving,

carefully-screened new home. HART takes in older, sick, and injured animals as well as the

readily adoptable and never takes just the pups and kittens, leaving mom behind. We seek to

direct our resources where they are most needed and to alleviate or prevent suffering wherever

we find it.

ifhf.jpg

Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund

The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund is a leader in supporting the men and women of the Armed

Forces and their families. Begun in 2000 under the auspices of the Intrepid Museum Foundation

and established as an independent not-for-profit organization in 2003, the Fund has provided

close to $120 million in support for the families of military personnel lost in service to our nation,

and for severely wounded military personnel and veterans. These efforts are funded entirely with

donations from the public, and hundreds of thousands of individuals have contributed to the

Fund.

jfmf.jpg

Julien Fleming Memorial Fund

The Julien Fleming Memorial Fund was established in order to help families whose critically or

terminally ill children need treatment beyond the families’ ability to pay. Even for those with

medical insurance, non-covered expenses can easily soar to thousands of dollars.

nfff.jpg

National Fallen Firefighters Foundation

Congress created the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation to lead a nationwide effort to honor

America's fallen firefighters. Since 1992, the non-profit Foundation has developed and expanded

programs that fulfill that mandate. Our mission is to honor and remember America's fallen fire

heroes and to provide resources to assist their survivors in rebuilding their lives.

pvoa.jpg

Paralyzed Veterans of America

For more than 64 years, Paralyzed Veterans of America has been on a mission to change lives

and build brighter futures for our seriously injured heroes—to empower these brave men and

women with what they need to achieve the things they fought for: freedom and independence.

The organization was founded by a band of service members who came home from World War II

with a spinal cord injury.

valour.jpg

Project Valour-IT

Project Valour-IT, in memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss, helps provide voice-controlled/

adaptive laptop computers and other technology to support Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and

Marines recovering from hand wounds and other severe injuries.

pal.jpg

Promise Animal League

Promise Animal League, Inc. was formed for the prevention of cruelty to animals and educational

purposes by a group of individuals who have been helping animals in the local community for

over 25 years. Our group of dedicated volunteers provides a small pet food bank for other shelter

and rescue. In addition Promise Animal League (PAL) owns and operates a licensed veterinary

practice in Hagerstown Maryland. Our low cost clinic is open by appointment for surgeries and

is available to everyone regardless of income, location or if you are a shelter or rescue group.

PAL currently has four licensed veterinarians.

rt.jpg

Rebuilding Together

Rebuilding Together believes in a safe and healthy home for every person. This means that we

believe disabled and aging homeowners should be able to remain in their homes for as long as

possible. We believe that homeowners displaced by natural disaster will get back into safe

housing with help from the community. We believe that our nation’s veterans with disabilities

deserve safe and accessible homes. Rebuilding Together believes we can preserve affordable

homeownership and revitalize communities by providing free home modifications and repairs,

making homes safer, more accessible, and more energy efficient.

some.jpg

SOME - So Others Might Eat

SOME (So Others Might Eat) is an interfaith, community-based organization that exists to help

the poor and homeless of our nation's capital. We meet the immediate daily needs of the people

we serve with food, clothing, and health care. We help break the cycle of homelessness by

offering services, such as affordable housing, job training, addiction treatment, and counseling,

to the poor, the elderly and individuals with mental illness. Each day, SOME is restoring hope

and dignity one person at a time. We invite you to join us.

specialops.jpg

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

The Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and

family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational

or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations

personnel and their families.

wf.jpg

Warrior Foundation

Our Mission is to assist, honor, and support the military men and women/ service members/

personnel who have so bravely served and sacrificed for our country. We further vow to help the

seriously injured who are assigned to Naval Regional Medical Center, Camp Pendleton Naval

Hospital, 29 Palms and Fort Irwin as well as those who are going through rehabilitation in the

San Diego area.

wwp.jpg

Wounded Warrior Project

The Wounded Warrior Project is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to "honor and

empower wounded warriors" of the United States Armed Forces. "The Wounded Warrior Project

(WWP) works to raise awareness and enlist the public's aid for the needs of severely injured

service men and women, to help severely injured service members aid and assist each other,

and to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs."

yft.jpg

Youth for Tomorrow

Youth For Tomorrow is committed to providing a safe, healthy, and compassionate environment

for at-risk youth who have been abandoned, abused, or otherwise alienated from family and

community. Our mission is to provide them the opportunity and motivation to focus their lives

and develop the confidence, skills, intellectual ability, spiritual insight and moral integrity to

become responsible and productive members of society.

I voted for SOME. Terrific cause (not like any of them /aren't/) that hits home for a lot of folk. Anything that helps folk with addiction and gets them on their feet is A-OK by me.

And woot for Ronald McDonald House! Awesome charity group. I'm saving my pop-tops starting NOW.

They are all such good charities; I went for Julien Fleming for a couple reasons, I know that the people who started this charity do not have money themselves; they rely totally on donations from word of mouth as they don't even really have money to advertise. They try to sponsor at least 1 child/family a year. Thus the reason I nominated them. For what the woman does that started this (her health isn't the greatest itself), she is SOOO grateful for any little thing, she's probably gonna be in tears by the mere fact the Fleming Fund is part of this poll to start with. I know her too well.

I have no problems with any of them; I just went with the one that I know has limited funds to start with.

I wish we could do more than just one. I have strong feelings for several of these causes.

I feel the same way but we need to start easy and work our way up. Maybe if we raise a lot of money we can split it between the top two but being our first year of doing this we need to stay as simple as possible.

Hope you will also put out a collection jar at the send-offs/welcome homes. Since we are going to have such a good team this year (!), we should have a crowd at those events!

Will do, I didn't even think about bringing it out there.

Some More Info on the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation a charity that is very near and dear to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mtj3Ydtpq4

Bottom line over 100 firefighters die in the line of duty each year, but the affects of those deaths are far reaching. This charity not only honors fallen firefighters, but helps rebuild the lives of the families. They additionally have dedicated themselves to providing scholarship money to the families of fallen firefighters, and have joined the fight providing monies, reasearch, etc. in trying to reduce firefighter line of duty deaths.

two of my buddies that I served with are being assisted by the Wounded Warrior Project. Both great dudes, and the WWP is doing everything possible to keep these guys spirits high and help out their families through the tough adjustments... and I would donate to any good cause

Some More Info on the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation a charity that is very near and dear to me

Bottom line over 100 firefighters die in the line of duty each year, but the affects of those deaths are far reaching. This charity not only honors fallen firefighters, but helps rebuild the lives of the families. They additionally have dedicated themselves to providing scholarship money to the families of fallen firefighters, and have joined the fight providing monies, reasearch, etc. in trying to reduce firefighter line of duty deaths.

I voted for this one as well. My son is a volunteer Firefighter in Syosset, NY, and he will take the FDNY test upon completing his senior year at Penn next year.

I voted for Comfort Zone. I had a very hard time trying to figure out which one to vote for as all of them held a special place in my heart.

Animal Rescues- I work daily with since I am the Director of Adoptions for BassetCARE, I always donate food to feed people and have helped rebuild homes etc, my entire family is military and most are Veterans, First Responders risk their own lives to save others, and everyone knows I adore Joe Gibbs!

Comfort Zone stuck out due to a personal tragedy I had as a child and the issues I still face with it today.

I will say not matter what one wins it will be an amazing charity and they will be blessed to have the support of Extremeskins. I am blessed to have all of you in my life!

I voted for Comfort Zone. I had a very hard time trying to figure out which one to vote for as all of them held a special place in my heart.

Animal Rescues- I work daily with since I am the Director of Adoptions for BassetCARE, I always donate food to feed people and have helped rebuild homes etc, my entire family is military and most are Veterans, First Responders risk their own lives to save others, and everyone knows I adore Joe Gibbs!

Comfort Zone stuck out due to a personal tragedy I had as a child and the issues I still face with it today.

I will say not matter what one wins it will be an amazing charity and they will be blessed to have the support of Extremeskins. I am blessed to have all of you in my life!

I completely agree, this is a great list of charities. Being a new father I couldn't turn down the Julien Fund...that was just an awesome chairty.

But, there is no way that we could choose a bad charity with a list like this. Phenominal job doing research, Pez et al.

It was difficult to select from these many charities, some of whom which I have had personal experience with and/or have donated to in the past. What are very worthy organizations supporting causes worth every bit of our attention. I did choose (finally) that which is closest to me, The Wounded Warrior Project. But no matter which charity wins this poll, Extremeskins will undoubtedly represent...and both Extremeskins and that charity will be blessed. HTTR!

Archived