Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Tailgate: Time to give back! (updated nominations)

pez

The Wounded Warrior Foundation - Rick Roberts' Warrior Foundation mission is to help wounded and disabled military heroes leading the fight in the war against Terror. We vow to assist, honor, and support the soldiers who have so bravely served and sacrificed for our country

http://www.warriorfoundation.com/

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This kind of hits close to home as (2) of my fellow Marines that I served with side by side are now assisted by the Wounded Warrior Project. I could tell their stories but sometimes it's not easy to read or for me to write

I'm serving for a year as an AmeriCorps member with Rebuilding Together Alexandria. Its part of a national charity dedicated to repairing homes for the elderly, the impoverished and veterans with disabilities.

There's a few affiliates in the area: Alexandria, Fairfax County, Washington DC, Montgomery County, Fredericksburg, Loudon etc.

Used to be Christmas in April if any of you were familiar with them back in the day.

We could certainly use the monetary/volunteer support.

http://www.rebuildingtogether.org/

I am totally in! I like the ones that give to homeless and hungry personally. Not that I don't love animals because I do, I just have a real soft spot for people in this Country who can't feed their kids. Just shouldn't happen in this Country. Regardless, count me in 100% and if there is anything you want me to do (besides send and raise money of course) just let me know. GREAT idea guys.

Sorry if this shouldn't be in this thread, but this may help.

Many people who work for larger companies (sometimes, even smaller ones) get some sort of Match for donations. For example, the company I work for gets $250/year to match.

When the donation is made, maybe someone on the Extremeskins staff or a trusted member of Extremeskins can make the donation to get it matched.

Or Maybe the Skins will match...

Sorry if this shouldn't be in this thread, but this may help.

Many people who work for larger companies (sometimes, even smaller ones) get some sort of Match for donations. For example, the company I work for gets $250/year to match.

When the donation is made, maybe someone on the Extremeskins staff or a trusted member of Extremeskins can make the donation to get it matched.

Or Maybe the Skins will match...

Great idea... Huly and I will reach out to our contacts at the park!

Pez, this is something great you and Huly are doing. I met you guys at the HOF when Art and Darrell were inducted. I will support any charity you all deem fit! Thank you for your continued service to the Redskin fan community!

Hopefully i can make it to one of your infamous tailgates this year!

I dont know if you want to do a smaller charity or a larger one. But I have a suggestion either way.

A friend of mines son has what at this point is an incurable disease. Here is an excerpt from his website -

" Hayden's illness has been long-lasting and mysterious. At first, Hayden was experiencing frequent ear and urinary tract infections. While his pediatrician attempted treat his recurring infections, he found that Hayden was also suffering from anemia (a decrease in red blood cells or hemoglobin), as well as a thickened bladder wall. Though iron supplementation was initiated, Hayden's anemia persisted. Over time, Hayden's symptoms became more peculiar. His abdomen became distended, he had a decreased appetite, and he could not gain weight. Hayden was also in a lot of pain; he would wake up at night screaming in pain, and his legs hurt him so badly that he was unwilling to walk. He was still suffering from urinary tract infections, and a cyst on his kidney was also discovered. All of these symptoms, along with the anemia and recurrent infections, prompted his pediatrician to order more tests in an attempt to find the cause of Hayden's illness. He was referred to Children's Hospital in D.C. for further testing (such as CT scans, x-rays, comprehensive blood work, etc.).

Hayden was eventually admitted to Children's Hospital in D.C. after his pediatrician found his anemia to be worsening. In fact, Hayden was no longer only experiencing decreased levels of healthy red blood cells; now all types of blood cells were deficient and continued to deplete at an alarming rate despite blood transfusions. Test after test was performed with no answers. A team of physicians from Children's Hospital, as well as from facilities from around the country, are collaborating to find the cause of Hayden's mysterious illness so that they can help this courageous boy get back to being a normal 3 year old again."

Here is a link to the actual site. - http://www.hopeforhayden.com

Even if you didnt donate to his cause I know the family would love to see something put towards curing this disease.

Here is a link to that association. - https://www.histio.org/sslpage.aspx

His mother is a HUGE Redskins fan. His father roots for the Bills(Wont hold that against him I guess)

This is just a great kid and family in a horrible situation. I think this would be a great charity.

Thanks for considering it.

GREAT IDEA!!!

PEZ - can this be done at the away games as well? I know last year there was a fantastic Titans tailgate, with a huge turnout. I'm going to the Panthers game this year, and would love to see something like this get done. Is there someone on staff that goes to every away game that could be willing to collect to hand to/mail to you?

PEZ - can this be done at the away games as well? I know last year there was a fantastic Titans tailgate, with a huge turnout. I'm going to the Panthers game this year, and would love to see something like this get done. Is there someone on staff that goes to every away game that could be willing to collect to hand to/mail to you?

Not everyone goes to all games but if someone would like to take control of the away game they can paypal or mail me funds to go toward it.

I am not sure if you guys have any interest from a Richmond, VA Redskins fan, but ComfortZone Camp is a local organization that helps provide a safe, fun environment for bereaved children. As this is a tragedy that my family lives with daily it's extra important to me. I provide food and gift cards for thier fundraisers when requested (I work in catering for a local restaurant), but this is something the Extremeskins community could help out with. Hopefully you'll give them consideration. If you need any contact information I can provide that.

http://www.comfortzonecamp.org/

Hail Skins! Good luck tonight against the Ravens :)

This is why I love ES. What a great idea and what big hearts you guys have. I will certainly donate when you choose.

I also nominate the ASPCA.

"The ASPCA was the first humane organization in the Western Hemisphere. Our mission, as stated by our founder, Henry Bergh, in 1866, is “to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States.”

http://www.aspca.org/about-us.aspx

And

Paralyzed Veterans of America

http://www.pva.org/site/c.ajIRK9NJLcJ2E/b.6305401/k.BCBB/Home.htm

Is this going to a vote or will a selection just be made?

Yes it will be going to vote... I will get the poll up tomorrow. We have just been thoroughly checking to make sure all these charities are legit (nowadays you can never be too sure).

Everything that has been suggested so far is a good suggestion. I'd like to make one: The Julien Fleming Memorial Fund was established in order to help families whose critically or terminally ill children need treatment beyond the families’ ability to pay. Even for those with medical insurance, non-covered expenses can easily soar to thousands of dollars.

We strive to keep Julien’s memory alive by giving grants to these families in Julien’s memory. Recipients are selected by our Board of Directors, which includes Julien’s mother.

Please help us continue these grants. No donation is too small. To a child in need, every penny is a symbol of love and caring. The home base for this is in Virginia; was started just by some friends and neighbors to help Julien's medical needs. It has grown to where they award grants 1-2 times a year depending on how much they can earn.

The site is located here: http://jfmf.org/about.php

My $0.02

There might be a way to support 2 charities while not having to split any funds up between the two.

My son is in the Cub Scouts here in Roanoke and the past 2 yrs they have collected pop tops from the top of Aluminium cans to donate to Ronald McDonald House Charities. If someone who goes to every Tailgate would be able (I'd volunteer, but alas I am not a season ticket holder and am only coming to 1 game this season), they could collect these pop tops from every tailgate throughout the entire season. At the end of the football season, they could then present these to Ronald McDonald House Charities on behalf of the Message Board.

Just a thought....and a way to benefit 2 different Charities/Non-profits in 2 different ways!

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

My $0.02

There might be a way to support 2 charities while not having to split any funds up between the two.

My son is in the Cub Scouts here in Roanoke and the past 2 yrs they have collected pop tops from the top of Aluminium cans to donate to Ronald McDonald House Charities. If someone who goes to every Tailgate would be able (I'd volunteer, but alas I am not a season ticket holder and am only coming to 1 game this season), they could collect these pop tops from every tailgate throughout the entire season. At the end of the football season, they could then present these to Ronald McDonald House Charities on behalf of the Message Board.

Just a thought....and a way to benefit 2 different Charities/Non-profits in 2 different ways!

Update: Not exactly sure what Ronald McDonald House does with these pop-tops, but I assume they somehow turn them in somewhere and collect funds to support their mission.

Archived