Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another key reason to beat Atlanta

I'm sure this has been discussed some already but here goes.

We have to beat the Falcons so that we have the tie-breaker later on this season. There is a good chance that Atlanta will thrive in the second part of the season once Vick returns. If we can tie them in record, we'd be ahead of them for the wildcard. It sounds basic and it's dumb to think of those things in September but this really does stress how important each game is. It would also be a W vs. a NFC team which is a tie-breaking category too.

the Redskins are trying to go 2-0 for the first time in a decade. That puts things in perspective.

fans will not be disappointed in 2003 if they take things one game at a time and allow for the big plays and mistakes they will see.

Ramsey came out and had a near flawless first half last week. Pennington was out of action for the Jets. The Redskins shut Curtis Martin down pretty well and ran the ball well themselves.

In the end the Skins won the game with 5 second left on the clock, 16-13.

Thus, with all of the things that went WELL in the game the Skins escaped with the victory.

There was no 27-10 separation in the score as one might expect looking at the stats.

The Redskins second half for the most part was forgettable.

But they got the win in crunch time and for a younger team that is sometimes worth more than a blowout as most games are decided in the fourth quarter.

Against Atlanta, I think the Redskins have an excellent chance. The Falcons are flatfooted, caught without their starting qb and without their #2 receiver as well.

They don't have a dominating o-line or a franchise running back, although Dunn and Duckett can be effective as a tandem if given the right circumstances.

the Falcons on Sunday will have one pro bowl player to face the Skins, Price, and he is matched up with a fellow pro bowl talent in Bailey.

edge in this matchup of their O and our D to the Redskins.

on the other side of the ball the Redskins can't count on the production of Ramsey week to week just yet. If he plays well, the Skins have the weapons to hurt Atlanta.

If the Falcons think Glenn at 30 and Galloway at 31 or 32 is hard to cover, wait until they get a load of Coles :D

But that assumes that Ramsey can get the ball out there to him.

The pass protection he received in Game 1 does not inspire confidence.

Atlanta loves to zone blitz and bring corners and unlikely combinations to pressure the qb.

Against veteran quarterbacks and established lines, the Falcons D just lacks enough talent.

The Rams of 2001 would have scored 45 on Atlanta if the Falcons used that style of play against them.

But the Skins are not the Rams of old. Ramsey is not as decisive or accurate as Warner and the line is not as sturdy in protection.

Ramsey, Coles, Hall and the defense had good games vs. the Jets, for the Skins it is time for the offensive line to join the party :)

Echoes my thoughts on another thread, bulldog. The pass pro HAS to hold up in this one and allow the Skins to get some points on the board. We do not want to get into a game where the crowd is forcing false-starts and our OL can't get off crisply because they can't hear the snap count ... not when facing a fast, aggresive zone-blitz type defense.

This is the kind of game that sets up to win IF we're playing from ahead, because I think we'd be able to run the ball and play some ball control if we do. What I'd hate to see, though, is the Skins give up a cheap score or two early, and let the crowd get into it and make Atlanta feel good about pinning their ears back and coming after Ramsey.

Gotta protect him early so we don't turn the ball over ... or get into a field position battle where we're always strating at our 15 and they're starting near midfield. If we can protect early and get Patrick comfortable and get on the board, I like our chances.

First few drives, on BOTH sides of the ball, will be key.

Archived