Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Not sure if you are referring to Turgeon, but I'd say that a new coach deserves at least six years before you consider firing him.  That gives him 4 solid recruiting opportunities to produce results on the court.  If you questions his motivation skills and in game coaching then you'd fire him as soon as you get that notion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2013/06/16/terps-basketball-target-jared-nickens-commits-after-official-visit/

Terps basketball target Jared Nickens commits after official visit

The future grew even brighter for Coach Mark Turgeon and the Maryland basketball team on Sunday afternoon, when New Jersey swingman Jared Nickens offered his oral commitment to the Terrapins following an official visit to College Park.

From Pennsylvania’s Westtown High, the 6-foot-6 Nickens adds another dangerous three-point shooter to Maryland’s class of 2014, which has already received pledges from Dion Wiley (Potomac) and Romelo Trimble (O’Connell), the top-ranked players in Maryland and Virginia, respectively.

And a group already ranked third nationally by ESPN.com grows even stronger.

https://twitter.com/insidemdsports

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports

Nickens is a 6-6 shooter. With Melo Trimble and Dion Wiley, the #Terps may end up with the best recruiting crop of shooters in the country,

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports

Nickens least touted of #Terps commits, but has big upside, 6-10 wingspan, high, soft release. Source:"They're going to have flamethrowers."

During the 3rd year of a total rebuild in college bball, you should see some results.

Needs four years, IMO.  I got a littler nervous at times with Turgeon last year, but that was fan anxiety.

If you really give a coach a chance, you give him four years to get his program up and running, and then judge him going forward.

During the 3rd year of a total rebuild in college bball, you should see some results.

Needs four years, IMO.  I got a littler nervous at times with Turgeon last year, but that was fan anxiety.

If you really give a coach a chance, you give him four years to get his program up and running, and then judge him going forward.

After four years, you better or you'll be on the hot seat. But, if the rebuild goes right, you'll probably see results in the 3rd year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/rivalsmike

NOLENATION ‏@fear_the_spear_ 

@rivalsmike where do you think #FSU stand with Prince?

@rivalsmike if Tabor stays home do you see any other local 4 star recruits joining him? If so who?

Aniebonam likely and Prince maybe "@InsidetheShell1:

• 3 weeks later...
http://terrapinstationmd.com/2013/08/10/good-counsel-star-jesse-aniebonam-announces-top-five/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter     Good Counsel Star Jesse Aniebonam Announces Top Five

With Stefon Diggs and Mike Madaras being the latest stars from Good Counsel to stay home and attend the University of Maryland, there is another potential star that could be calling College Park home in 2014.

Falcons defensive end Jesse Aniebonam is one of the top local defensive prospects in the 2014 class. According to Good Counsel football’s official Twitter account, Aniebonamannounced his top five schools on Saturday evening and his list includes North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Maryland.

According to 247 Sports, the four-star recruit is the second-best player in the state of Maryland and the sixth ranked defensive end in the entire country. The Terps have been long rumored as the favorite for Aniebonam’s services. Out of all eight crystal ball predictions on 247 Sports, all eight of them predict that Maryland will land Aniebonam.

The Good Counsel star is an absolute force on the defensive line. To be honest, there isn’t really much that he can’t do. Aniebonam was great speed off the edge which allows him to disrupt a large amount of plays. His size is also a very good indicator of his ability. The Falcons star defender stands at about 6’4 and 230 pounds and can swat the ball at the line of scrimmage at a moment’s notice. Aniebonam is also very versatile on the defensive line as lined up on the interior in addition to the end spot.

Aniebonam is set to announce his college choice on August 23 when Good Counsel takes on Gilman to open the high school football season.

• 2 weeks later...

2014 Big 10 football recruiting rankings

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/08/2 ... s-819#more

Maryland currently sits in last place, but that might change next week. Four-star defensive end Jesse Aniebonam is expected to commit to Maryland over Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and others. The Terps are considered the clear favorite for 247Sports' 102nd overall player in the nation. 

Five-star corner Jalen Tabor continues to trend towards Maryland. The Terrapins have quickly turned from dark horse to front-runner for Tabor. Mike Locksley – their ace recruiter – is handing the recruitment of Aniebonam, Tabor, Damian Prince, Brock Ruble and Chris Jones.

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2013/08/20/new-rivals-250-rankings-released-terps-look-good/

New Rivals 250 Rankings Released; Terps Look Good

The biggest news is that 2014 CB Jalen Tabor of Friendship Collegiate Academy in Washington D.C., who has been eying Maryland for some time now and was recently at Saturday’s scrimmage, was bumped up to five-star status. He now finds himself ranked as the 20th-best player in the nation and the fourth-best DB for his class. Rivals seems to be higher on him than any other recruiting service, but that’s not a knock on them at all. For Tabor, it comes down mostly to Florida and Maryland, with Alabama and Vanderbilt pulling up the rear.

Meanwhile, OL Damian Prince of Bishop McNamara in Forestville, Md. is holding firm as the 11th best player in the country and second-best offensive lineman in his class. Prince, like Tabor, has listed Maryland as one of his top schools; the odds that he winds up a Terp seem to be getting better by the week. Florida State, Ohio State, and Alabama appear to be very high on his list. Offensive coordinator Mike Locksley is handling both his and Tabor’s recruiting process for Maryland.

As recently as today, defensive end Jesse Aniebonam of Good Counsel named Maryland the leader in his recruiting. Previously, he had named Maryland, Virginia Tech, UNC, Notre Dame and Clemson as frontrunners. Aniebonam comes in at #98 on the Rivals 250, and his also being recruited by Locksley for the Terps.

Demetrius Johnson, listed as a wide receiver/athlete from the Annapolis Christian School, finds himself as the 156th-best player in the 2014 class. Maryland is widely viewed as the favorite for his services, and appears ready to commit at some point in the near future. Johnson is currently ranked as a 4-star by Rivals, and defensive coordinator Brian Stewart is handling his recruiting.

Bottom line, if the Terrapins can manage to lock up these three players, they’re looking at a class which should easily be ranked in the top 25 nationally. But nabbing Tabor and Prince is still going to be difficult with a lot of other schools pursuing them heavily. Still, having them in your backyard certainly doesn’t hurt things.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Georgia-Seven-Footer-Trayvon-Reed-Commits-to-Maryland-Terrapins-145124

Reed, a 7-foot-1, 200-pound
center from Snellville, Ga., gave his verbal commitment today while on his
official visit. Rated the No. 65 overall prospect and sixth-best center in the
247Sports 2014 Composite, Reed chose the Terps over Auburn, Florida, Georgia,
Alabama and a host of others.

"I feel like its a
fit for me. I feel like I can learn there,” Reed told InsideMDSports.com. “Also
because I talked to the coach there and he just talked to me about school and
basketball so I feel like I can go in there and play hard and show the best
that I can do on the court at Maryland.

"It was hard for me
to try and pick a school. I did my research and I thought long about it."

Reed, who is regarded as
a potentially elite shot-blocker, is the fourth verbal commitment in Maryland's
2014 class, which is ranked No. 3 nationally. He joins Melo Trimble, Dion Wiley
and Jared Nickens. The Terps could continue to chase Riverdale Baptist (Md.)
big man Chinanu Onuaku, who could play power forward in college.

"I just knew
because I’ve been thinking about it the whole summer and I just feel like with
school, I don’t want to have this on my mind during school.”

With his decision out of
the way, Reed will now focus on readying himself to contribute to an emerging
Maryland program that's been bringing top talent to College Park.

“Just being better,
being stronger. I know one thing, people tell me I’m picking up a little
weight," he said. I know I want to get bigger eventually, but I’m just
trying to go hard in the weight room – that’s my main focus.”

Maryland's development
of Alex Len, who went from virtual unknown to NBA Lottery pick, played heavily
into Reed's view of the program; he's regarded as a better shot-blocker than
Len was at the same age, though not as polished offensively.

“They just had that kid Alex
Len
 go there so I know
if I pick up some size I can really do something for Maryland.”

https://twitter.com/insidemdsports

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports 

Scouting report on #Terps commit Trayvon Reed: No. 6 center in the nation. Measures nearly 7-2, runs like a guard. 

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

Trayvon Reed joins Melo Trimble, Dion Wiley, Jared Nickens in #Terps monster class. Ranked #3 2014 haul nationally.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

In three full recruiting cycles, @CoachTurgeon's landed six top-100 HS recruits + Alex Len, Dez Wells, Evan Smotrycz.

Love the Trayvon Reed verbal.  Now we have a big man to go with all these young guards.  Mitchell, Cleare, Dodd, Reed are some solid big men, with Layman and Smotrycz playing the 3 role.

If I had one other wish it would be a pure point guard.  Peters sort of fills that, but he is a 1/2 combo based on what I've been reading.  Allen, Wells, Faust, Wiley, Trimble, and Nickens are all shooting guards.

Look at that depth though.  Come 2014 we could be tremendous if everyone stays.  Faust and Wells would be seniors. 

Archived