Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Top 100 Players of 2011 (Discuss 2012 Here too)

ACW

What did Ratliff do last year to deserve being put on the list? Or Miles Austin?

you would have to ask the players that voted, and its not a 2010 stats contest. Its what "they think" the best players will be this upcoming season, based on track record and stats, and potential growth.....etc.

We all know that Rat struggled a bit last season, but we also know how dominant he was the year before. Lots of things went bad in Dallas and it effected a lot of players, but that one season should not take away from Rat's potential to get back to his status of the year before......

Before Romo sits to pee's injury, #19 was off-the-chart.........and no, I am not making an excuse for him, but just saying, he was on a great pace and was on fire early, then without Romo sits to pee it fizzled...But again, his body of work just the few years he has been playing.......shows why he is on that list, and he is well respected around the league for how hard he works to get to where he is.....

and don't buy TR1's garbage, the players do not fall intro "hype". They watch film and study EVERYTHING......The players know, because they see it. If they play them, then they study them, if they don't play, the still watch em on film. I know this for a fact actually.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 07:32 AM ----------

Hey, WHATEVER Faulk said, he doesn't deserve to be insulted like that.

hahahahaha. So true, but he did remind me of him. LOL

you would have to ask the players that voted, and its not a 2010 stats contest. Its what "they think" the best players will be this upcoming season, based on track record and stats, and potential growth.....etc.
So then if track record does matter, what was your problem with Marshall Faulk's opinion?
and don't buy TR1's garbage, the players do not fall intro "hype". They watch film and study EVERYTHING......The players know, because they see it. If they play them, then they study them, if they don't play, the still watch em on film. I know this for a fact actually.
Can you provide a source for this fact? Because I have a tough time understanding why Jamaal Charles, for instance, would have any reason to watch film on Winston Justice. Moreover, here's a quote from Terrell Suggs on the Browns' starting RB last year:
"You know, I never heard of him before, until he ran for 140 on us," Suggs said Wednesday on a conference call. "We sure know his name [now]. He had a great day. He broke a couple runs on us."

But regardless only 23% of players voted. And there are questions about how those votes were gathered. For instance, a couple of weeks ago on NFL Total Access, Lamarr Woodley talked about how he didn't have a vote and he didn't know anyone who did vote on the list. Evan Moore, a backup WR for the Browns, said the same thing on his twitter account. So the poll isn't exactly a consensus listing of NFL player opinion.

And given that this small percentage of players, whoever they are, were only asked to rank their top 20 players, yet Donovan McNabb (a guy whose own coach didn't think he was good enough to start anymore) still made the list. It's tough to support the notion that players don't buy into "hype".

So then if track record does matter, what was your problem with Marshall Faulk's opinion?

Can you provide a source for this fact? Because I have a tough time understanding why Jamaal Charles, for instance, would have any reason to watch film on Winston Justice. Moreover, here's a quote from Terrell Suggs on the Browns' starting RB last year:

But regardless only 23% of players voted. And there are questions about how those votes were gathered. For instance, a couple of weeks ago on NFL Total Access, Lamarr Woodley talked about how he didn't have a vote and he didn't know anyone who did vote on the list. Evan Moore, a backup WR for the Browns, said the same thing on his twitter account. So the poll isn't exactly a consensus listing of NFL player opinion.

And given that this small percentage of players, whoever they are, were only asked to rank their top 20 players, yet Donovan McNabb (a guy whose own coach didn't think he was good enough to start anymore) still made the list. It's tough to support the notion that players don't buy into "hype".

ya got a link to that 23%?

and then to hell with it, iof thats the case, its a fluff piece by the network to keepo us "suckers" tuned in......Im cool with that, i really dont care anymore and just want some dam football stories and training camp stuff to look forward too.

The NFL Network list was put together from a poll of current players. Here's how it worked: NFL Films reached out to as many players as possible to participate. They wound up with 413 responses, roughly 23% of the league.
Link
and then to hell with it, iof thats the case, its a fluff piece by the network to keepo us "suckers" tuned in......Im cool with that, i really dont care anymore and just want some dam football stories and training camp stuff to look forward too.
Yeah, it really doesn't feel like training camp is only a month away.

Ah, so it just might be hype fueling some of the selections and not film study, eh? ;)

Ah, so it just might be hype fueling some of the selections and not film study, eh? ;)

possibly, I didnt know about the 23%........but i still don't think it means that its 100% hype either...just shows that its a little bit skewed...

but whatever........Who cares, do we need anything more in life to show that Demarcus ware is a great player???give me a break on that, it cant be argued with straight face anymore,

possibly, I didnt know about the 23%........but i still don't think it means that its 100% hype either...just shows that its a little bit skewed...

but whatever........Who cares, do we need anything more in life to show that Demarcus ware is a great player???give me a break on that, it cant be argued with straight face anymore,

The "Puke hype machine" was in reference to Ratliff and Austin being on the list...not Ware.

The "Puke hype machine" was in reference to Ratliff and Austin being on the list...not Ware.

well tell me why either shouldn't be in the top 100. What do you base that on?> last year alone? body of work? comparing to others in the position....who in their respective positions should have been in front of them on this list? hmmmmmmmm???

well tell me why either shouldn't be in the top 100. What do you base that on?> last year alone? body of work? comparing to others in the position....who in their respective positions should have been in front of them on this list? hmmmmmmmm???

It wasn't my comment lol...keep up.

But you first claimed that saying Cowboys hype played a role in the rankings was "garbage" and that the players based their votes off of things like watching film and "EVERYTHING"..

Then when BBJ more or less blew that idea out of the water with facts and quotes, you relented and said the thing was probably little more than a fluff piece to keep football fans tuned in...

I simply asked that, if that's your thinking, then maybe hype IS behind "some of the selections" and not film study and the like...

Again...keep up.

But you first claimed that saying Cowboys hype played a role in the rankings was "garbage" and that the players based their votes off of things like watching film and "EVERYTHING"..

Then when BBJ more or less blew that idea out of the water with facts and quotes, you relented and said the thing was probably little more than a fluff piece to keep football fans tuned in...

I simply asked that, if that's your thinking, then maybe hype IS behind "some of the selections" and not film study and the like...

Again...keep up.

Keep up is right, more spinning here then in a Barry Sanders high lite reel. Instead of being a smart arse, why not just answer my questions about the two you and BBJ feel dont deserve mention in the top 100???

hmmmmm

What did Ratliff do last year to deserve being put on the list? Or Miles Austin?

Or Romo sits to pee- 7 1/2 games

Or Dallas Clark- 4 1/2 games.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 01:30 PM ----------

Or Donovan McNabb?

13 starts and nearly 4000 yards. And he was #100, hardly accolades.

Or Romo sits to pee- 7 1/2 games

Or Dallas Clark- 4 1/2 games.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 01:30 PM ----------

13 starts and nearly 4000 yards. And he was #100, hardly accolades.

forget it, i am not sure some of ya get the damn concept of it to begin with, it has nothing to do with just last years Numbers......its what they think about them going into this year "based" on the numbers, and a track record, and titles....etc. Its all a part of it. My origi9nal part was to blast Faulk for trying to pump up ?Eli for his SB win 4 years ago...and to look past EVERYTHING else......of course it is weighed into it that he helped his team win a SB, but its not the end all be all....nor is last years stats....

ah .......my goodness, i don't believe that you guys cant grasp this top 100 concept...

and lets be clear it is indeed a made for TV fluff piece that means nothing anyway. LOL

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 01:41 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HDD3SZQqnw&feature=player_embedded#at=105

this explains Marsha's hate for Ware.....hahahaha. Just Fast FWD it to the 140 mark if ya don't wanna see D Ware highlights. LOL

Keep up is right, more spinning here then in a Barry Sanders high lite reel. Instead of being a smart arse, why not just answer my questions about the two you and BBJ feel dont deserve mention in the top 100???

hmmmmm

I never made any claims about "the two" players, though...I was asking you a question about your viewpoints and how they changed after BBJ shot down your initial post. A question you decided to avoid by deflecting, by the way lol...and still are. You're just not very good at doing so.

I never made any claims about "the two" players, though...I was asking you a question about your viewpoints and how they changed after BBJ shot down your initial post. A question you decided to avoid by deflecting, by the way lol...and still are. You're just not very good at doing so.

Cali, your off your gamer big time bro, i answered him, and conceded to his 23% claim because he had a link, but i damn sure did answer why i thought Rat and Miles should be on the list. you may not like my answer but i answered it.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

for real Cali???? you feeling okay today?

Cali, your off your gamer big time bro, i answered him, and conceded to his 23% claim because he had a link, but i damn sure did answer why i thought Rat and Miles should be on the list. you may not like my answer but i answered it.

I didn't ask you about Ratliff and Austin. And your answer to me talked about Ware :ols:...

for real Cali???? you feeling okay today?

???..What's the purpose of quoting those two posts, besides showing that someone else was talking about Austin and Ratliff benefiting from "Puke hype"...which is what I had been saying? lol...Or are you saying that you made the mistake of thinking I agreed with them simply because I questioned your conflicting viewpoints?

(placing my hand against my forehead)...No, seems like I feel 100% fine. :)

I didn't ask you about Ratliff and Austin. And your answer to me talked about Ware :ols:...

???..What's the purpose of quoting those two posts, besides showing that someone else was talking about Austin and Ratliff benefiting from "Puke hype"...which is what I had been saying? lol...Or are you saying that you made the mistake of thinking I agreed with them simply because I questioned your conflicting viewpoints?

(placing my hand against my forehead)...No, seems like I feel 100% fine. :)

wait, maybe i am crazy but that was a quote from you saying that they Hype machine had to do with Rat and Austin and not Ware, so indeed you said that to me, regardless of who originally brought it up, and in return i asked you a question that you never bothered to answer.

HAHA! I dont know why its so important to know "someone ELSE" said it first..........but whatever man, you could just say "hey, I don't think its hype at all and they both deserve it"...Or you could answer my question.........and put it to rest.....

you may wanna check that head again, better yet, check your wrist for a pulse for God's sake!

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 02:59 PM ----------

i know that, I answered the question about Rat and Austin to the one who asked it.......you said i deflected and didn't answer it........which is a lie because I did answer it. Why would you make such a big deal out of not being the one that brought up the hype machine and Rat and Austin, yet give me hell for not answering you...????

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

only thing i can tell you is in a conversation with Merriman, he told me that they watch film, lots of film...not just opponents film, but film of different schemes, similar schemes, players at their position...etc. I guess your right in some ways, no way in hell Shawne would be watching film on a CB ....but they do COVER A LOT of film work of a LOT of different players throughout the season. Not 100% though....and i dont want you to think that is what I implied, i was merely just saying that TR1 was wrong in trying to say they do not watch film except when they have an opponent scheduled, because that is not true.

wait, maybe i am crazy but that was a quote from you saying that they Hype machine had to do with Rat and Austin and not Ware, so indeed you said that to me, regardless of who originally brought it up, and in return i asked you a question that you never bothered to answer.

I wasn't asking you if Austin or Ratliff deserved to be on the list...and I never made mention of whether or not I thought they deserved to be on the list lol. I only asked if you still felt hype played no role in their (or anyone else's) placement on the list.

And I only asked because you were guaranteeing with certainty that it did not, and said saying otherwise was "garbage" ("and don't buy TR1's garbage, the players do not fall intro "hype". They watch film and study EVERYTHING....I know this for a fact actually.")...I just wanted to know if you still felt that way after reading BBJ's post. ;)

And I only brought up Austin and Ratliff later because for some reason you responded to my post about whether or not your views changed after BBJ's post by talking about Ware ("but whatever........Who cares, do we need anything more in life to show that Demarcus ware is a great player???")...I was just letting you know that nobody had mentioned Ware in the posts I was referring to.

i know that, I answered the question about Rat and Austin to the one who asked it.......you said i deflected and didn't answer it........which is a lie because I did answer it. Why would you make such a big deal out of not being the one that brought up the hype machine and Rat and Austin, yet give me hell for not answering you...????

No, I said you deflected my question, not their question. Sheesh lol.

I wasn't asking you if Austin or Ratliff deserved to be on the list...and I never made mention of whether or not I thought they deserved to be on the list lol. I only asked if you still felt hype played no role in their (or anyone else's) placement on the list.

And I only asked because you were guaranteeing with certainty that it did not, and said saying otherwise was "garbage" ("and don't buy TR1's garbage, the players do not fall intro "hype". They watch film and study EVERYTHING....I know this for a fact actually.")...I just wanted to know if you still felt that way after reading BBJ's post. ;)

And I only brought up Austin and Ratliff later because for some reason you responded to my post about whether or not your views changed after BBJ's post by talking about Ware ("but whatever........Who cares, do we need anything more in life to show that Demarcus ware is a great player???")...I was just letting you know that nobody had mentioned Ware in the posts I was referring to.

No, I said you deflected my question, not their question. Sheesh lol.

my views absolutely DID NOT change on they hype issue after BBJ's post, not one it...it did show that the entire list is questionable at best due to the lack of participation, but did not prove anything at all that "hype" would be a factor in ones choice to put a Cowboy player o0n the list. I don't for a second believe the payers are falling for "hype" and I do believe they are using their best judgement, film study, game awareness, competitive history...etc. ....and not Hype.

My views on the hype and the effect it had in this Top 100 list DID NOT change at all in this entire thread.

I am under my own opinion, that the players (even if only 23% partook in the damn thing) used their best judgment for what they know and not just HYPE and/or ESPN watching.......

Now:

Do you feel that Rat and Miles are placed in this top 100 correctly or do they belong off the list, and if its the second then who should be ahead of them in their respective positions? in your opinion?

my views absolutely DID NOT change on they hype issue after BBJ's post, not one it...

I'm still trying to decipher this lol...

it did show that the entire list is questionable at best due to the lack of participation, but did not prove anything at all that "hype" would be a factor in ones choice to put a Cowboy player o0n the list.

I think this quote here provided by BBJ should at the very least minimize anyone's thoughts that the players only hold the views they do because of "film study" lol..

"You know, I never heard of him before, until he ran for 140 on us," Suggs said Wednesday on a conference call. "We sure know his name [now]. He had a great day. He broke a couple runs on us."

Players fall asleep during meetings. Players don't pay attention all the time during film study. Players know more about other players in their division than they do players in another conference. Players gain a certain portion of their knowledge and perceptions of some players by what they read and see on ESPN. Their views--and their votes--are susceptible to being influenced by all of that, right along with "film study".

Now:

Do you feel that Rat and Miles are placed in this top 100 correctly or do they belong off the list, and if its the second then who should be ahead of them in their respective positions? in your opinion?

I highly doubt there's some way to tell whether or not any given player deserves the #71 spot on a top 100 list or not lol...the last 2 or 3 dozen spots are all the same in my eyes. The difference between the guy who ended up at #101 and the guy who ended up at #71 is negligible.

You also have to take into consideration how the poll was conducted. If, as I had suspected (and I guess has been shown to be true on this thread), the players were asked to name their top 10 or top 20 players in the league, then all it takes is for any given player's name to come to mind to a dozen or so of players for them to crack the top 100...Hakeem Nicks could just as easily taken Austin's spot imo.

Honestly, I don't care about the players ranked that low. I mainly just care about the players ranked in the top 20, because those players are the ones who got mentioned on a lot of lists turned in by those who were polled.

But I damn well wouldn't be using this list as proof of anything lol...anyone remember when Jay Ratliff said Jason Campbell was the league's most underrated QB? lol... ;)

Again...keep up.

Dear lordie Califan...you're so head-and-shoulders above these puke fans in intellect and wit, I can only look on in envy.

:notworthy:

Puke fans should be afraid when they engage you.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 07:06 PM ----------

My views on the hype and the effect it had in this Top 100 list DID NOT change at all in this entire thread.

Please, stop now while you have some dignity.

Now:

Off the list. But as to who belongs above them, that depends on the criteria you are using.

If track record is important, and you're willing to forgive a down 2010 season. Then clearly Miles Austin doesn't belong. He's had one very good year, one good year, and three years where he was far, far below average. A number of WR's like Steve Smith (the crazy one), Anquan Boldin, Ochocinco, Santana, and Randy Moss have all been good WR's for a lot longer than Austin. If Ausin's 2010 season is an issue, then guy like Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks were snubbed for a less productive player.

For Jay Ratliff the question is whether his supbar 2010 season matters in any way. If you concede that Ratliff's 2010 season should impact his ranking in even the slightest way, then guy like Tommy Kelly, Fred Robbins, Justin Smith, Calais Campbell, and Darnell Dockett who have similar track records but weren't complete liabilities for their team all deserve to be ranked ahead of him. If you conclude that Ratliff's 2010 season shouldn't factor into the rankings at all, then someone like Albert Haynesworth starts looking a whole lot better.

This is why I have no problem with fan's voting for the pro bowl. Player voting would be just as bad or worse than fan voting. You see it all the time with those SI polls and what not. If they don't care to answer these things honestly to give fan's a real perspective then why participate at all?

Dear lordie Califan...you're so head-and-shoulders above these puke fans in intellect and wit, I can only look on in envy.

:notworthy:

Puke fans should be afraid when they engage you.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 07:06 PM ----------

Please, stop now while you have some dignity.

oh how rich, from the man with absolutely ZERO dignity!!!! bwahahahahaha.

I stick by my opinions, and do appreciate the opinions of others.............AND.... "afraid to engage" holy hell that is priceless!!!! hahaha. oh i am soooo afraid to have an opinion different then Cali, makes me scared......oh the horror!!!!! LMAO!

---------- Post added June-28th-2011 at 06:16 AM ----------

Off the list. But as to who belongs above them, that depends on the criteria you are using.

If track record is important, and you're willing to forgive a down 2010 season. Then clearly Miles Austin doesn't belong. He's had one very good year, one good year, and three years where he was far, far below average. A number of WR's like Steve Smith (the crazy one), Anquan Boldin, Ochocinco, Santana, and Randy Moss have all been good WR's for a lot longer than Austin. If Ausin's 2010 season is an issue, then guy like Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks were snubbed for a less productive player.

For Jay Ratliff the question is whether his supbar 2010 season matters in any way. If you concede that Ratliff's 2010 season should impact his ranking in even the slightest way, then guy like Tommy Kelly, Fred Robbins, Justin Smith, Calais Campbell, and Darnell Dockett who have similar track records but weren't complete liabilities for their team all deserve to be ranked ahead of him. If you conclude that Ratliff's 2010 season shouldn't factor into the rankings at all, then someone like Albert Haynesworth starts looking a whole lot better.

i can see your point, and its why i asked, indeed both Rat and Miles are on that list of the players, that are (as Cali pointed out as well) on the edge of greatness, and not at all cemented into a place in this league as elite. ANY player in that 20-25 range.....is elite PERIOD, regardless of uniform color or opinion of their scheme.......two players that are in the scheme controversy.....Ware and Brees...both benefit from it for sure, bot both are elite and among the absolute best in the league at what they do! same can be said for Brady........He plays for the greatest coach of our time and in a system that saw his back up come in get some great run and eventually a big money contract.....

a lot goes into this back n forth, he is better then him, and that guy is better then that guy, but bottom line, players ranking their own is about the most effective way we have wouldn't you agree??? certainly isn't pro bowls or ESPN rankings. NOW, All-Pro is anther effective way to judge.......that is NOT a popularity contest.

i can see your point, and its why i asked, indeed both Rat and Miles are on that list of the players, that are (as Cali pointed out as well) on the edge of greatness...

??...I never said they were on the edge of greatness :ols:...if anything, I said they could have just as easily been ranked at #101 and not be on the list.

If they were ranked at #30, then maybe...but at #71? lol...please.

a lot goes into this back n forth, he is better then him, and that guy is better then that guy, but bottom line, players ranking their own is about the most effective way we have wouldn't you agree???

Hell, no lol. Too many factors play into why players vote for the players they end up voting for...they're more likely to choose players based on familiarity, playing on the same team, playing in the same division, coming from the same same college, playing the same position, HYPE, friendships...

Put another way, I'm not gonna assume that Alan Ball can accurately pick the top 10 best Offensive Linemen, especially if he is asked to do it on the spot or is doing it by filling out a form on a lazy Saturday afternoon and knows his top 10 needs to be mailed back in by 3:00 pm lol...

---------- Post added June-28th-2011 at 08:10 AM ----------

.. "afraid to engage" holy hell that is priceless!!!! hahaha. oh i am soooo afraid to have an opinion different then Cali, makes me scared......oh the horror!!!!! LMAO!

Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread ;)...

Archived