Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Top 100 Players of 2011 (Discuss 2012 Here too)

ACW

I can't really hate the list since the players are the ones that chose the players, but Tebow at 95?? Really?? Flacco ahead of Romo sits to pee, as much as it pains me to admit it?? Victor Cruz at 39 BUT Hakeem Nicks at 90?? Nicks is WAY better than 90. Michael Turner and Darren Sproles should be a bit higher too, the Falcons have no run game if Turner isn't there and the other Saints RB's can't do what Sproles does. I don't have an issue with Peyton Manning at 50, appropriate considering his condition.

it will be interesting to see how the Top 10 shakes out. Still left are Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Revis, Megatron, AP and Ware. I think that number 1 is between Rodgers and Megatron.....

Calvin Johnson won't be #1 but will be top 5, I think either Brady or Rodgers will be #1. Larry Fitzgerald hasn't been mentioned yet either, he and Ngata will probably be the first two names mentioned next week. I am very surprised Justin Smith was so high, he kind of came out of nowhere.

Calvin Johnson won't be #1 but will be top 5, I think either Brady or Rodgers will be #1. Larry Fitzgerald hasn't been mentioned yet either, he and Ngata will probably be the first two names mentioned next week. I am very surprised Justin Smith was so high, he kind of came out of nowhere.

I think Brees or Rodgers will end up #1, but I would vote for Megatron. I think that he was the best/most dominant football player of 2012.

I think Brees or Rodgers will end up #1, but I would vote for Megatron. I think that he was the best/most dominant football player of 2012.
Why? Johnson had a great year, but other guys had record breaking seasons. Gronkowski, for example, had more receiving TD's and the best season ever by a TE.

Why? Johnson had a great year, but other guys had record breaking seasons. Gronkowski, for example, had more receiving TD's and the best season ever by a TE.

Setting position records doesn't make you the most dominant player overall. Brees set the passing record, but I would argue that Megatron was more dominant than he.

To define "dominance" I'm looking at their stats compared to others at their positions.

Johnson had 112 more yards and 7 more touchdowns than the next leading receiver (Welker) in 26 fewer receptions. Meaning, if Johnson had Welker's reception totals, he would have had 2136 yards and 20 TDs.

Gronk had 17 more yards and 6 more touchdown than the next leading tight end (Graham) in 9 fewer receptions. Meaning, if Gronk had Graham's reception totals, he would have had 1459 yards and 18 TDs.

Brees threw for more yards than everyone else, but Brady also broke Marino's record, and Stafford came close. Rodgers threw for one less touchdown, but eight fewer interceptions.

Johnson's performance was the most dominant in the NFL this year.

Setting position records doesn't make you the most dominant player overall. Brees set the passing record, but I would argue that Megatron was more dominant than he.

To define "dominance" I'm looking at their stats compared to others at their positions.

Johnson had 112 more yards and 7 more touchdowns than the next leading receiver (Welker) in 26 fewer receptions. Meaning, if Johnson had Welker's reception totals, he would have had 2136 yards and 20 TDs.

Gronk had 17 more yards and 6 more touchdown than the next leading tight end (Graham) in 9 fewer receptions. Meaning, if Gronk had Graham's reception totals, he would have had 1459 yards and 18 TDs.

Brees threw for more yards than everyone else, but Brady also broke Marino's record, and Stafford came close. Rodgers threw for one less touchdown, but eight fewer interceptions.

Hitman,

you beat me to it. Simpy put, Johnson was clearly the best receiver in the NFL last year, and his numbers say so by a wide margin. One could argue over best RB (AP/Rice/Foster), best QB (Brees vs. Rodgers) or any other position. I don't think that is true about Megatron. He was also extremely impactful. I hope that he is number one, but that usually goes to QBs.....

But your choice of the next leading receiver was arbitrary. If you go by touchdown receptions, Jordy Nelson had 1 less TD catch on 28 fewer receptions. If Nelson had Johnson's receiving totals he would have 102 more receiving yards and 5 more TD catches than Johnson.

You could do similar math with Aaron Rodgers since he averaged almost a yard more per attempt than Drew Brees did.

EDIT: Also Gronkowski is a much, much better blocker than Graham.

But your choice of the next leading receiver was arbitrary. If you go by touchdown receptions, Jordy Nelson had 1 less TD catch on 28 fewer receptions. If Nelson had Johnson's receiving totals he would have 102 more receiving yards and 5 more TD catches than Johnson.

You could do similar math with Aaron Rodgers since he averaged almost a yard more per attempt than Drew Brees did.

Fair enough, so let's move on to physical dominance. No player has his combination of size, speed, and ability in the NFL.

But your choice of the next leading receiver was arbitrary. If you go by touchdown receptions, Jordy Nelson had 1 less TD catch on 28 fewer receptions. If Nelson had Johnson's receiving totals he would have 102 more receiving yards and 5 more TD catches than Johnson. ........

LOL, my FF league was giving me so much WTF ribbing when i picked Jordy Nelson up. Def pick him again though i think the other guys have caught on as well.

Joe,

the point remains the same, though, does it not?

The Packers, Saints, and Patriots were already very good teams before last season, they just continued doing the same thing in 2011. Rodgers, Brees, or Brady would be boring choices for #1.

The Lions just had their first winning season in 157 years, and Calvin Johnson was probably the most important player on that team in addition to being the best wide receiver in the league. I'd like to see him at #1.

Archived