Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupidly specific DMV Question...

OrangeSkin

That probably no one can answer, but I know other states have rules similar to this one. I relocated to New York from Virginia about 1 1/2 years ago, and never exchanged my VA driver's license for a NY license since I live in New York City and don't even have a car. On the rare occasion that I needed to rent a car (to drive home, for instance) I used my VA license no problem.

Now, my VA license is expiring on August 23, and I will need to rent a car to travel in September. Thus, I need a new license. The problem is that in its very confusing, labyrinthine way, the New York DMV website says that you need to exchange your out of state license for a New York license within 30 days of becoming a New York resident. I have read in other places (yahoo answers, always dependable :ols:) that that rule will be overlooked when you go into the DMV.

I have absolutely no desire to register as a new driver, pay for driving classes, take a road test, etc. like I'm 16 years old when I know how to drive and have been driving for ten years. Does anyone think that when I go into the New York DMV with my Virginia license the surly lady will tell me that's what I have to do? Or will she just let me take an eye test and get my New York license? I'm either looking for general opinions or anyone (doubtful) who has had a specific experience like this. I know it's a really specific question, but I've always found ES to be exceptionally helpful on issues like this. Thanks!

twa, you're a genius. My old license is registered with my parents' address. That should be cake to get my VA license renewed online, and just have it mailed there instead of having to set foot in the hell that is the Brooklyn DMV...although, I do have a notion of the DMV as an arm of the all-seeing state and am slightly paranoid that they might be able to catch something like that. Worth a try, I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

They will likely only mail it to the address on your license but you shouldn't have any trouble doing everything online and that's much easier than getting a new NY license.

Edit: Also I didn't get a Minnesota license until I had been here for almost a year. They have a similar "rule" where you're supposed to switch all your stuff over w/in a month or so of moving, but really they do not care. I only switched mine over bc my registration and license were for DC a address that I no longer had any connection to and my registration was about to expire. I really don't think they care much unless you have a car and don't register it w/ them.

New York DMV website says that you need to exchange your out of state license for a New York license within 30 days of becoming a New York resident.

I never understood this rule... What are they going to do if you wait 2 months? Say "You missed your window, move back to your state, then move back here and try again"... If you DO want a NY DL just take in your utility bill from this month or whatever.... I doubt they have private investigators who are going to do background checks... :ols:

i lived in Brooklyn for 6 years after moving there from VA. i can assure you the people at the DMV couldn't care less how long you've lived in NYC. you'll have to pay something like $80 (i think that's what I paid in 2008ish) and they'll give you a NY license no problem. you'll only have to take the test if you wait until your VA license expires.

Archived