Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA state registration and safety inspection

Slateman

So I finally got my bimmer from Hawaii and have a question about registering it in VA.

Ummm ... how? Will Virginia honor a Hawaii state registration and safety inspection? I'm a VA resident and have a VA license, but the car was bought in Hawaii so it has Hawaii plates (BTW, if you see a metallic violet 95 M3 with Hawaii plates, its mine :D )

Do I get the safety inspection first? Then take the safety inspection with Hawaii registration and title and trade them for Virginia ones?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/index.asp

Short answer. You have to get a vehicle inspection and an emissions inspection (unless your car is a certain age or you live in a certain location).

You get the inspections first, they are jetted over the net to the DMV so when you get there, the results of your test are there also. At the site, download the appropriate forms and fill them out before you go to the DMV so you'll breeze through. The website has the forms/fees etc.

Good luck!

Ummm ... how? Will Virginia honor a Hawaii state registration and safety inspection?

I think you have to furnish the original, long form, sales contract.

:)

----------

On a more serious note:

I'd do the inspection, first. Because if you register the vehicle, first, then you are likely to get pulled over as you leave the DMV parking lot for driving without an inspection sticker.

:)

There are gas stations all over NoVA that do safety and emissions inspections. Get both of those, take the paperwork and your title to the DMV and get your car registered.

I definitely don't miss doing all of that. Down here you go to the DMV with your title, register the car, and that's it. No inspections ever.

I just went through this Slateman with a car I bought from my brother who lives out of state. I had to pay a tax on the sale price, but since you already own the car, just bring your bill of sale from the dealer and you should be good. My situation was different because I didn't previously own the car.

Archived