Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Older generation: What happened to our quarterbacks?

NewCliche21

If JKC had stayed with us, I'd rather have had _____ as the owner from 1999 until today.  

209 members have voted

1. 1. If JKC had stayed with us, I'd rather have had _____ as the owner from 1999 until today.

• A now 98 year-old Jack Kent Cooke
    • Daniel Snyder
    • This thread is a direct result of the Lockout.

if i aint mistaken it was harry carson that actually broke his leg, taylor heard it snap and jumped up waving the med staff over

Nope, it was LT.

de595b48-a216-4d51-ad5e-36820a4ae089_lg.jpeg

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 04:50 PM ----------

For all the "we can't get good QB's since Ryp," I think it may be worth noting we have had 3 qbs who have gone on to great things after leaving the Skins. One was even the league MVP. The other 2 are on other teams' ring of honors.

When one asks what happened to our QB, I think the answer is we haven't stuck with the right ones. How much different would the last 20 years have looked if we had kept Gannon, Humphries and Green? We might not have any more superbowls, but we would have been better.

Don't forget we also had a SB winning QB in Brad Johnson. And to answer your question, we wouldn't have been much better if any. Rich Gannon didn't become a good QB for 5 or 6 years after he left the Skins. But more importantly we haven't had a good offensive system with all the complete parts since Joe G 1.0. Norv, with his reputation as an offensive genius went 17 years after leaving Dallas with only one top 10 offense. He walked into an offensive juggernaut in SD and is reaping the benefits much like he reaped the benefits of Aikman, Smith and Irvin. Stan Humphries was an okay QB but he wasn't great by any means. We had no choice with Trent Green. I would love to have retained him. But think about the offensive systems we've had in the last 20 years. Norval, Marty ball, Spurrier, Joe G 2.0 and Zorn. Love Joe but he wasn't the same on the field coach that he was the first time around. Let's hope Shanahan gets to keep his system in place for a few seasons so we can get some continuity.

As for the past QBs we succeeded in the 80s and early 90s because we had one of the best lines ever assembled. The fact that Jay Schroeder got us to the NFC Championship game is all the evidence you need of that. Doug Williams could have been a great QB but he had nothing around him in Tampa (except for a great defense). He got the crap beat out of him both in Tampa and the USFL. The Doug Williams we got to see was a shell of the player that came out of grambling. And nobody was more a beneficiary of a great line than Mark Rypien. As has been mentioned he threw a great deep ball and that line gave him time to work to his strengths. As soon as the line started to crumble so did his career.

Thing was, the rest of the league was finally catching up to Gibb's style of offense, and utilizing the BIG O-line, even though the 91 season had shrunken quite a bit, but worked very well together.

It was mentioned quite a few times about how the league had become a copy-cat league even back then, and followed by a few bad picks and FA's, it kinda went on a downward spiral.

Question is, what IS the answer? What will it take to get them back on top? Probably quite a few things, but finding players who want to play because they love the game, and not the money, really has reared its ugly presence in the league...

What happened to the QB's and the winning ways of the Redskins? The offensive line got old and the Redskins failed to replace them with newer offensive linemen of the same talent level - plain and simple.

Exactly right. By 93' the team I knew as a kid was gone. Glad I got to see as much as I did.

Simply, it's because of the salary cap. Our QBs were average at best. QUOTE].

I don't think it had anything to do with the salary cap. Trent Green was a great QB (pre Snyder) that we lost because the ownership was in transition and the trustees wouldn't agree to pay him. He went on to a great career. Then we got Brad Johnson who had lit up the league while in Minnesota. Norv Turner won the division with Brad Johnson and Skins led the NFC in Offense (can you imagine that!). Unfortunately, Snyder then screwed everything up by bringing in what's-his-face as a gunslinger QB. It was all downhill from there. Schuler was a draft bust but it was really the continued cycling of coaches and OCs that continued the decline. A good QB for one system wasn't very good for the completely different system that replaced it.

The Schottenheimer QBs were just place-holders while he re-tooled the roster. Gibbs II was a lousy evaluator of talent. So we are back to where we were with Schottenheimer.... retooling the roster where we eventually will get the right QB if Snyder doesn't get impatient again.

Archived