Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I Think the Skins Would Do Better Playing Mainly Man Coverage on Defense

Oldfan

In all my examples, I stated that the offense was isolating those defenders by choice. Meaning they thought they had an advantage over that defender. I understand all strategies have strengths and weaknesses; that is what I am trying to point out to you. One of the weaknesses in man. You are championing the weaknesses in zone just to fit your argument. Then you brush off very realistic examples of weaknesses in man coverage. That's fine. I've stated my perspective which I think is well informed.

In all my examples, I stated that the offense was isolating those defenders by choice. Meaning they thought they had an advantage over that defender. I understand all strategies have strengths and weaknesses; that is what I am trying to point out to you. One of the weaknesses in man. You are championing the weaknesses in zone just to fit your argument. Then you brush off very realistic examples of weaknesses in man coverage. That's fine. I've stated my perspective which I think is well informed.
I probably should have realized what you intended, but it wasn't clear to me at first. That's why I was asking, "Why should I care?"

I'll concede that isolating a weak matchup is possible against man coverage, and you can list that as a disadvantage. However, when we are weighing the matchup factor overall, it seems obvious that the clear edge goes to man coverage over zone. It's much easier for an OC to create mismatches against zone.

Futhermore, one of the advantages of having a contrarian strategy is that your DBs would be recruited for their man coverage skills and their training would be almost full-time man. How many offenses do you think could put enough good eligible receivers on the field to have a matchup edge against us?

Archived