Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Kerrigan Hoping 'Grunts' Help Him Connect with Fans

SkinsNoles21

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/kerrigan-hoping-grunts-help-him-connect-with-fans/2011/05/12/AFyLIqyG_blog.html?referrer=emaillink

Ran across this article in the WaPo and noticed it was in the breaking news section, but not here and I wanted to open up a discussion on it.

Gridiron Grunts is a brand new service where fans can connect with players. I am not affiliated with it but I have met with Jeb Terry (founder, former NFL olineman) and think it's a great idea.

You guys don't need background info. but what I wanted to discuss is how now is the perfect time to use this service to talk to Ryan Kerrigan ... There is motivation for the players to use Gridiron Grunts and currently, since its like two weeks old, the players probably don't have a ton of fans. The app is free and to follow a player its about 2 bucks (currently it is only out on the iphone.)

If you have questions for Ryan Kerrigan you want him to actually see and respond to ... there can't be a more perfect way to ask him your questions than to use GridironGrunts.

This isn't twitter, the players don't have a million followers (yet) and won't ignore what you say.

Here is the list of other players currently on gridirongrunts ... http://gridirongrunts.com/roster

Also, do you guys think this will catch on? I've played with the app and it seems pretty bad ass to get voice messages from these dudes. Thought it seemed more personal ... Vernon Davis grunted about going to the mall and picking up some new shoes. Just cool to hear what these guys are up to.

sounds weird, I dont think I wanna call a number to have grown ass men grunt at me.

You don't call a number ... you press a button, its an app.

IDK man ... people pee themselves with an athlete retweets them ... this seems better to have an athlete literally respond to your question.

You don't call a number ... you press a button, its an app.

IDK man ... people pee themselves with an athlete retweets them ... this seems better to have an athlete literally respond to your question.

I guess as long as it's not too intrusive.

The level of communication fans want from their celebrities/sports figures borders on disturbing at times. Not saying you're one of them, mind you.

Just kind of stalker-ish to me.

This is kinda weird to me and I really can't see how it's going to hold up once these guys get like 100 "grunts" a minute.

The grunts they receive I believe will be similar to twitter where they can pick and choose who they respond to. Which is why I think the time is now to talk to Kerrigan ... when he has a ton of followers he will begin speaking to the masses as opposed to responding to individuals.

As far as the intrusion goes, let me just say there is a VERY STRONG incentive for these guys to use GridironGrunts and get as many followers as they can.

I don't know. I guess I just don't get it. I just don't care who's buying what shoes, and he's (along with any other player doing this) not going to give me straight answers for the stuff I'd really want to know, football-wise, because most (smart) players nowadays have a strict "Coach-Gibbs-Speak" policy when it comes to talking with fans.

Which is good, as it leads to minimal controversy in the media. But it also leads to responses that seem canned and fake, as I don't think anyone's really "getting to know" these guys. They're just exposing the completely non-important, impersonal parts of themselves for the fans who DO care about this stuff, the growing legions of creepily interested, obsessive people that have been able to come to the forefront with this huge wave of social networking technology.

Basically, the equivalent of rabid Us Weekly/People Magazine readers in sports. Its just weird to me.

I don't know. I guess I just don't get it. I just don't care who's buying what shoes, and he's (along with any other player doing this) not going to give me straight answers for the stuff I'd really want to know, football-wise, because most (smart) players nowadays have a strict "Coach-Gibbs-Speak" policy when it comes to talking with fans.

Rashard Mendenhall disagrees. Also Portis in his prime would have said plenty of things that aren't coach speak. Gotta be honest, think we will get more interesting football related stuff from the players than we will the coaches.

Which is good, as it leads to minimal controversy in the media. But it also leads to responses that seem canned and fake, as I don't think anyone's really "getting to know" these guys. They're just exposing the completely non-important, impersonal parts of themselves for the fans who DO care about this stuff, the growing legions of creepily interested, obsessive people that have been able to come to the forefront with this huge wave of social networking technology.

Basically, the equivalent of rabid Us Weekly/People Magazine readers in sports. Its just weird to me.

Yeah...I don't really get this either.

I'd love to ask Casey Rabach why he still starts, but somehow I doubt he'd respond.

Couldn't care less about their shopping trips, everyday life.....basically the only things sensible players would answer honestly lol

Archived