Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice road win tonight at Providence earning the season sweep.  Hoyas are on the outside looking in right now, but with a few wins in a row they might get back into bubble discussion.  That one loss against St. John's was tough, we blew that.  If we won that we would be 16-7 and in the tournament discussion.  They need a quality win though, if they can beat Villanova or Marquette that would help big time.

I like seeing Kaleb Johnson getting more playing time, he's a senior and has earned it.  LeBlanc brings tons of energy and athleticism, he's my favorite freshman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27073871/john-thompson-roots-run-deep-georgetown

Interesting article on how the Hoyas have struggled to succeed since John Thompson left.  I think Ewing is off to a good start, I like the players he has recruited and he knows the game well.  Seems to have a firm no-nonsense approach to coaching.  I think they have a good shot at making the tournament next year.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc are no longer on the team and have entered the transfer portal. Huge blow to the team. Ewing is going to have a big challenge getting this team in the tournament this year. Losing to UNC Greensboro at home was bad.

Have you seen the "rumors"?

Yikes!

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Have you seen the "rumors"?

Yikes!

Yeah I just read the ESPN article on the harassment and burglary charges for Alexander and Gardner as well. Not good.

Ewing's tenure at Georgetown has so far been unsuccessful. This does not reflect well on him.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how much better the team looks without Akinjo in particular (see the Boeheim quotes above).  He's a talented player, but he commanded the ball way too much and took foolish shots.  He was selfish trying to be the hero all the time, I had that thought on more than a couple ocassions.  Don't need that from a point guard.  Gardner and Alexander were expendable.  I actually like LeBlanc, but Ewing did what any good coach would've done and got rid of cancerous behavior.  Can't tolerate stuff like that.  In the meantime, guys have accepted the challenge and stepped up.  I watched the game against St. John's and they were balling their heads off.  Great chemistry, ball movement, and overall shooting.  Hopefully they can keep it up.  I think McClung relishes the role of being the leader in the backcourt, plus he gets to take more shots.

It's gonna be close, they might end up being part of the first four out if they can't get a couple signature wins.  The game Saturday at Villanova is big, if they can pull that off they'll be in good shape.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gritty comeback win over St. John's. Hoyas were down 17 at one point. McClung was out too.

Hoyas are too shorthanded to make the tournament imo, but you never know. Ewing is going to have to do some serious recruiting in the next couple of years to keep building. Jamari Sibley is coming in next year, a top 100 SF from Oak Hill Academy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Gritty comeback win over St. John's. Hoyas were down 17 at one point. McClung was out too.

Hoyas are too shorthanded to make the tournament imo, but you never know. Ewing is going to have to do some serious recruiting in the next couple of years to keep building. Jamari Sibley is coming in next year, a top 100 SF from Oak Hill Academy. 

We won!

😀Don't know how but I'll take it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hoyas lose a heartbreaker at home vs. Villanova. Up 4 with 50 seconds left and they lose by 1 on a controversial goaltending call.

Honestly, I am not impressed with the job Ewing has done so far. Team makes boneheaded mistakes all the time. He hasn't recruited any really good players. And the player misconduct allegations earlier this year reflect badly on him. He needs to pick it up or he'll be gone in 2-3 years.