Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking About Getting An Ipad

Chiefinonhaze

I'd rather not go blind squinting at a tiny screen.

I can zoom in with auto-text resizing.

Correct. As people have been saying for two pages, it does exactly what your smart phone does.

Yes, you can browse ES on your smart phone. But do you want to?

Yes, you can read an e-book on your smart phone. But a screen that's 8 times the size makes it just a teensy bit more pleasant.

I can watch videos on my iPhone. But then, the reason why I can is because I'm so incredibly nearsighted that I can take off my glasses, hold the phone four inches in front of my eyes, and it's in focus. Most folks, I suspect that watching video in an iPhone is just about useless.

Yes, you can write a 20 page paper on one, too. But you'll be happier using a real keyboard and mouse.

Yes, you can browse ES on your smart phone. But do you want to? Yes, and I do quite often. It works wonderfully.

Yes, you can read an e-book on your smart phone. I purchased a Kindle for this because of glare on my phone. In a pinch I use the Kindle app with text resizing, but because of glare, the Kindle is the way to go.

I know it has been said for 2 pages, but people keep asking the same question, or saying the same reasons why to get a Tablet. They are an in between device that doesn't excel at anything other than taking more money from you when you have devices that do everything better than the tablet can.

That is why the tablet failed multiple times before the current generation. They don't replace anything and are an extra expenditure. The reason you see more people purchasing tablets now, that don't enhance their lives in any way, is because of credit and the advertising gimmick of it changing your life.

I know it has been said for 2 pages, but people keep asking the same question, or saying the same reasons why to get a Tablet. They are an in between device that doesn't excel at anything other than taking more money from you when you have devices that do everything better than the tablet can.

Laughing at a person who can say that, and bought a Kindle.

And no, I'm not attacking the idea of buying a Kindle. I'm pointing out that every single complaint you've made against the iPad, applies to the Kindle.

I can do that on my $49 smart phone is the point.

round and round we go. just read back to the discussion about what the larger screen allows apps to do.

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 04:46 PM ----------

How is it more functional than a laptop? My laptop has more RAM and a way bigger hard drive. Portable? Ok I could give it that since its lighter, but I think for most people, its about what does it do that my current devices don't already do. The answer...nothing. If I'm going to drop $500 on a tablet, its gotta do something my laptop and phone don't already do. My laptop and phone both suffice for watching videos/movies, surfing the web, playing games, checking Facebook/Twitter, GPS, listening to music, etc. Plus, my phone is also touch screen and lighter than an iPad which makes it easy to carry around the house. I just don't see the need for 3 devices thar pretty much all do the same thing. Granted, others have more uses for tablets than me, but for me personally, I don't see the point.

i didn't say it was better for you, i said it was better for us. and if you owned an ipad, believe me you would laugh if someone tried to argue that a laptop was anywhere near as portable or easy to use.

i'm not sure it is possible to have a rational discussion with people who keep insisting that an iphone screen and an ipad screen are of equal usefulness.

That is why the tablet failed multiple times before the current generation. They don't replace anything and are an extra expenditure. The reason you see more people purchasing tablets now, that don't enhance their lives in any way, is because of credit and the advertising gimmick of it changing your life.

you are wrong on this one. tablets failed before because they were weak and clunky. the ipad (and its competitors) absolutely fill a valuable niche and the technology is to a point where the mainstream can instantly find a good use for it in the home. we have been telling you for pages how it enhances our lives, and you refuse to believe us for unfathomable reasons, telling us that a tiny screen is just as good as a large one, and a heavy clunky laptop is just as portable and easy to use as an ipad with a touchscreen.

i didn't say it was better for you, i said it was better for us. and if you owned an ipad, believe me you would laugh if someone tried to argue that a laptop was anywhere near as portable or easy to use.

i'm not sure it is possible to have a rational discussion with people who keep insisting that an iphone screen and an ipad screen are of equal usefulness.

I didn't say a laptop was as portable. But easier to use? That's debatable. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy tablets, but for me, I see 0 use for it.

I never said an iPhone screen and an iPad were the same. Laptop screen size compared to iPad, is the same though.

Why I like my Ipad more than my phone or my laptop...well I can think of 2 real quick -

1) the battery lasts about 5x longer then my phone.

2) Unlike my laptop, I can turn it on and use it in about 3 seconds. I don't have to turn it on, wait for it load windows and turn cycle it down when i am done. It is alot more convenient. I mean I have a laptop at home and i haven't turn it on in about a month.

• 1 month later...
Just bought one and love it so far. Bc I dont do much typing or writing, it made more sense to get this as opposed to a laptop (already have a desktop) any good app suggestions?

netflix for sure. If you have a netflix account. And if you don't...well then get one. :)

And then of course apps like kindle or nook if you ever plan to read on your ipad which I do all the time.

Haha those were my first two dl's. I thought them to be essential

They are. :D

Another app I use all the time is called "NatureSound": It's stuff to fall asleep to. It's great. I use the rain sounds all the time. I also have a weather app and a couple of sports apps. Then a bunch of random game apps. Oh and then I also recently discovered "Wi-Fi Finder" which shows you all the public wi-fi locations near where you currently are.

Just bought one and love it so far. Bc I dont do much typing or writing, it made more sense to get this as opposed to a laptop (already have a desktop) any good app suggestions?

I don't know if you need a Notetaking app but Note Taker HD is pretty good with a stylus and you can open up PDF's and write on them. I've tried many of those apps and that one has the most features. I'm not sure what you're in to, but also TED is free and has some good lectures for many interests, also most importantly is the "Find iPhone" app that works with the iPad for free. This way if someone steals it you can locate it online, remote lock it, and remote wipe. That feature is free now.

Archived