Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for Advice on Planning Florida Keys Trip (Updated question in OP)

#98QBKiller

**Updated question**

Does anyone have recommended places to stay at that are close the bars/nightlife?

My Fiance and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to the Florida Keys with a group of friends. As you may have guessed, Key West is our main destination.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for planning the trip.

For instance, I was wondering whether it would be worth it to rent a car in Miami and drive our way down to Key West while we explore the other Keys a little or if it is best to just fly straight into Key West and go from there.

We'll have a little over a week to work with.

We're all in our late 20's w/ no kids, so we'll be looking to spend a lot of time outdoors exploring and doing various water activities but we're also interested in nightlife.

Like I said, we're in the early stages of planning so any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

The Fla. keys is one of my fave places in the world.

Personally, I would simply drive down in my own damn truck, filled with all the beach/bbq stuff I need to have a friggin' blast unparalleled with anything that involves flying into Miami with a suitcase.

Otherwise, yes, rent the car and drive in. You'll be amazed.

Oh. And bring sun block.

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 06:58 PM ----------

The Fla. keys is one of my fave places in the world.

Personally, I would simply drive down in my own damn truck, filled with all the beach/bbq stuff I need to have a friggin' blast unparalleled with anything that involves flying into Miami with a suitcase.

Otherwise, yes, rent the car and drive in. You'll be amazed.

Oh. And bring sun block.

My wife and I flew into Miami, rented a Fire Chicken convertible put the top down and drove to Key West. We had some friends waiting on us so we drove straight through. The drive was nice going down, coming home not so much fun because we partied like it was 1999 the night before and we didn't give ourselves an extra day to get back.

There are tons of bars to hit up, we even went to a bar where clothing was optional.

We went to the Sand Keys to snorkel with some people we met, I have snorkeled and dove many places, Key West was my favorite. There were tons of barracudas, nurse sharks, fish to check out and reefs were incredible. We spent all day on the boat it was by far the highlight of our trip.

There was a tiny Cuban restaurant we went to that was off the beaten path that was absolutely incredible. I will see if I can find the name of it.

Oh yeah and prepare to be hit on a lot by swinger couples.

There's not really a good beach in Key West or anything (there is one, but it smells and the water is gross). The Marathon area has several nice beaches. We went my then only child was 3, and it was great because she could run around the beach and even go into the water and my wife and I could just sit there.

I've been to the keys 3 times, and I've never figured out how you spend more than a day in Key West, unless you like to go drinking in obviously tourist trap bars/restaurants.

Would strongly encourage you to consider the middle keys, which puts you in a reasonable place to drive to Miami/Everglades, but also Key West while doing things in the middle keys.

The wife and I took our first trip to Key West in the beginning of March and had an absolute BLAST. We flew directly into Key West and didn't bother renting a car...we rented bikes for the week and rode all over the island. They also have electric cars that you can rent -- rather pricey though and you still have to fight for the very few parking spaces down there. If you want to rent a car to explore beyond Key West, you might want to do plan on it as a day trip instead of for the entire trip. If you haven't been to Key West, you will definitely want to stay there and explore for the majority of your visit!

Not sure if you are sold on a hotel but we rented a house through Key West Hideaways. The price was very reasonable for a 4 bedroom cottage shared with two other couples. Also keep in mind that Key West's offseason begins in the summer so you should be able to get some decent rates.

If you are looking for a beach in Key West, they are definitely small compared to most areas and the tourist spots (Smathers & Higgs) are usually crowded. There is a really nice beach at Ft. Taylor that is absolutely gorgeous and highly recommended.

This is probably the first vacation spot that I can honestly say I never had a bad meal. Pepe's, Banana Cafe, and Blue Heaven are awesome breakfast spots. Alonzo's has a great happy hour with half price drinks and appetizers (oyster shooters!). Turtle Kraals has a cool top level bar that overlooks the harbor -- an ideal place to sit in the afternoon and watch the boats come and go. Duval Street has whatever you could possibly want for night life.

Aside from the fishing and snorkeling and drinking, we spent most of our time just biking around and looking at the houses and plants. The Hemingway house was a cool short tourist stop and we also did a really fun ghost tour at night (not cheesy at all). I'm sure I am missing a few things to mention so I'll check back if you have questions.

One thing to watch out for if driving down. Speed traps!! I got busted for going 5 miles over. I spoke to a lawyer down there and he said he seen tickets for 2 miles over. It's how they generate their revenue. So if driving, stay under the limit.

It's still up and running. The Tiki Bar.Islamorada. Just past Plantation Key. Great Rumrunners among other things. Was one of my favorite places to go when I was stationed down in Homestead a few hundred years ago. :silly:

My Fiance and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to the Florida Keys with a group of friends. As you may have guessed, Key West is our main destination.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for planning the trip.

For instance, I was wondering whether it would be worth it to rent a car in Miami and drive our way down to Key West while we explore the other Keys a little or if it is best to just fly straight into Key West and go from there.

We'll have a little over a week to work with.

We're all in our late 20's w/ no kids, so we'll be looking to spend a lot of time outdoors exploring and doing various water activities but we're also interested in nightlife.

Like I said, we're in the early stages of planning so any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Lived there for over a year. Getting ready to move back after being gone a year and a half, actually Homestead in May.

When you get there, (Mark is ABSOLUTELY right if you can drive there. Did it a few times to vist family in DC, Maryland Virginia), but if you can't:

Remember its a tropical island with tropical heat

1. Rent a car in Miami (save money, expensive to go into Key West) leave early in th morning and take advantage of the most spectacular sunrise. Great experience. Georgeous.The rides not to bad 2 1/2- 3 hours depending on how you drive. Watch out for police, they are tricky. Stop in duck key for aminute and take in the sights at the camping ground. You might consider doing it your next trip.

2. Make sure you check out the evening events at Mallory square. Lots to do, lots to eat. Expensive. $4.00 for a hotdog. Average

3. Be sure to check out Taste of Key West if you are there in April. Good way to try many restaurant food for a small amount. You purchase tickets for non profit cause. Most things takes a ticket or 2, Much beer, be carfeful.

4. Take the trolly around town. Good ride, maybe 12 bucks (I think).

5. Duval steet is very live at night, no matter what season. people everywhere. You can drink on the streets as long as its in cups.

6. Get a 1 week pass to the Fort, where you can go in and barbecue and hang out all day, use a bike. Very good way to save some money, go to albertsons or win dixie on oversees highway (the main street in key west),

5. Jet ski your behinds off. You cannot do it at the Fort though. (Bummer)

6. You have GOT to taste a Brazalina (sp) hamburger if you have never tasted one. Best in the entire world in my families opinion anyway. Great food. Pricey, but with all that money you save doing your own cooking, you won't be disappointed.

6. If you can stomach a timeshare presentation you can go to the Marriott and save a ton of money. I believe they are still offering deals

6. Most of all relax. Dont argue or let the heat get to you, talked to some friends recently they were complaining about the heat already.

Just a few things if you wanna know more ask.

Hail and have some fun

Some awesome advice in this thread, thanks to everyone.

I noticed that a lot of people mentioned that they weren't very fond of the beaches in Key West. If we were to stop and spend a night or two at another one of the keys on the way down, which one(s) have nice beaches where we could just relax on for a few days?

It's getting in to the wet season there now,(They have 2 seasons down there. Wet and dry. ;) ). So be prepared for humidity and rain/thunder showers that can pop up pretty quick. Oh. And the bugs.

Someone mentioned Blue Heaven and Pepe's for breakfast on Key West and he's right, they are excellent. For my money though, I would go to Camille's. The service is great chef creates new exotic combinations every day. From the Salmon eggs benedict to omelettes with sirloin tips, asparagus and smoked gouda or lobster, scallions and brie. Amazing stuff. Anywhere you go in the Keys though, just search out where the locals go and you can't go wrong.

Another place to search out on the way down is the No Name pub on No Name Key which is right off of Big Pine Key. Cool little local bar with one of the best Pizza's you will ever eat. I know it sounds weird but trust me on this one. Their caribbean wings are unique and excellent as well.

Someone mentioned Blue Heaven and Pepe's for breakfast on Key West and he's right, they are excellent. For my money though, I would go to Camille's. The service is great chef creates new exotic combinations every day. From the Salmon eggs benedict to omelettes with sirloin tips, asparagus and smoked gouda or lobster, scallions and brie. Amazing stuff. Anywhere you go in the Keys though, just search out where the locals go and you can't go wrong.

Another place to search out on the way down is the No Name pub on No Name Key which is right off of Big Pine Key. Cool little local bar with one of the best Pizza's you will ever eat. I know it sounds weird but trust me on this one. Their caribbean wings are unique and excellent as well.

Sounds awesome. We were reading up on No Name Key online and wanted to stop on our way down.

Some awesome advice in this thread, thanks to everyone.

I noticed that a lot of people mentioned that they weren't very fond of the beaches in Key West. If we were to stop and spend a night or two at another one of the keys on the way down, which one(s) have nice beaches where we could just relax on for a few days?

You should really go to the beaches to see for yourself. There is higgs beach which is ok. If no one here has been to Fort Zachary, it is more than a decent beach. Very clean, great place to set up a hammock on coconut treees, close to the water. Many oversees tourist go there, europeans like to bath topless, weddings there all the time. Again very clean and beautiful. If you are military, go on base, major difference as well beaches are well kept and beautiful

Again Hail

• 1 month later...

We rented a house on our trip so I can't speak to any hotels or B&Bs. If you want to be in the middle of the restaurants and bars (with minimal staggering distance home at the end of the night), make sure to choose one near Mallory Square and the waterfront. There are several hotels and resorts on the south side of the island near the beaches, but they would all be a long walk or cab ride from Duval Street.

Archived