Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Money: We're getting a $54,000 tax refund!

Switchgear

link

SMITHFIELD, N.C. (CNNMoney) -- The Wards couldn't believe the news when their tax preparer called to tell them they're getting a $54,000 refund this year.

Thelma Ward was speechless. She had to hand the phone to her husband so she could dance around the living room floor in shock.

"I was thanking God like never before," she said. "We're just overwhelmed -- that amount was so huge it was unbelievable."

Even their tax preparer said she had to check the math -- 10 to 15 times.

"We couldn't believe it when we totaled everything up. We were like, that can't be right," said Dee Carter, owner of the local H&R Block where the Wards have brought their taxes for more than 10 years. "We had never seen anything like it before, so we had to check it over and over again."

So what's bringing this windfall? The federal adoption tax credit.

In the past few years, the Wards have expanded their already big clan of seven children by adopting five new kids. For each of these adopted children, they are eligible for a one-time tax credit of up to $13,170.

All of the Wards' foster children qualified as special needs, so Thelma was able to claim the full credit even though there were no adoption expenses. This is not unusual for foster children; about 80% of these kids are considered to have "special needs."

Kelli, only three years old, has a serious heart condition and has required medical attention since she was born. She is scheduled for a major heart surgery this month.

Octavius has a heart murmur and is in and out of the doctor's office constantly. And all of them -- including Joquavius, Zoie and Mckayla -- require either speech therapy, psychiatry or special classes for learning disabilities.

This attention really adds up, both emotionally and financially. So to save money, Thelma focuses on the little things, like using coupons everywhere she can, selling her children's clothes at consignment stores, buying everything used and holding yard sales.

More at the link

Good on them for helping out kids in need, and for doing things to minimize their costs. These people are making serious sacrifices for their kids.

I wonder if this will spur copycats, looking to cash in.

Good for them as a parent who adopted 2 special needs children (1) last year and (1) this year. My wife and I know how hard it is to raise these children, it is her full time job and one of the most rewarding. I did not know that we qualified for the full amount of the credit, looks like we will be filling an amended return next week.

And Switch we have been fosterparent for 4 years and it is always a fear that I have that some people only do this for the money the state gives you for room and board. These people soon realize that the little bit of money you get will never cover the time and energy that it takes to love and raise these kids. I cant imangine or lives without these children.

Also the local social services are very good at vetting these family's with background checks and interviews. While they do not catch everyone trying to game the system.

Archived