Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Willis (Sears) Tower to become Solar Farm of sorts.

Koolblue13

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/solar-window-pioneer-announces-pilot-installment-of-solar-windows-in-willis-tower-118350784.html

CHICAGO and SAN MATEO, Calif., March 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --Pythagoras Solar, a provider of unprecedented transparent, energy efficient windows that also generate solar power, today announced that it has been chosen by Willis Tower, formerly Sears Tower, to collaborate on a pilot project to help deliver on the building's renewable energy and energy efficiency improvement goals. The pilot project, deployed in November last year on the south facing windows of the Willis Tower's 56th floor, uses a building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) solution that has the potential to expand to a surface area allowing over two megawatts of solar power generation

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 05:14 PM ----------

I think if tech like this gets rolling, it may really help get us to a renewable, non oil depend step forward.

Add this to hydroponic window farming and we can really start living much more intelligently.

It's a great idea if it can be made affordable. Of course, it's going to work better in a place like Phoenix or LA than it will in Chicago, where it is overcast at least half the time.

I'll certainly be interested to see just how well this works. I think it's a dual financial benefit, because of the insulation the windows deliver as well as creating energy and Chicago is a great test for it.

Archived