Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for Mac Users

#98QBKiller

I have used a mac for the last 8 or 9 years and I've never used anti virus software. Maybe one day we'll have to deal with viruses but not today.

This thread will devolve into the "Macs, hell yeah!" crowd and the "Mac users are ninnies" crowd. But the practical answer to your question is, none of the dozen's of mac users I know have anti virus software and none of us have had problems with it. Don't worry about it.

I have used a mac for the last 8 or 9 years and I've never used anti virus software. Maybe one day we'll have to deal with viruses but not today.

This thread will devolve into the "Macs, hell yeah!" crowd and the "Mac users are ninnies" crowd. But the practical answer to your question is, none of the dozen's of mac users I know have anti virus software and none of us have had problems with it. Don't worry about it.

Cool, that's what I've been hearing. I've had a mac for a few months now and haven't used any anti virus software.

I haven't had an anti virus program on mine in the nearly 3 years I've had one. However,I do believe in being careful. Did some research a few times over the years and this one popped up.

http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/free-mac-anti-virus/

Like I said,being cautious. That and I do believe that it's only a matter of time before viruses and such become a bit more prevalent in the future,(though I do admit I could easily be wrong).

I have scanned my computer one time and I used ClamXav. Didn't find anything but it was rather easy to use. You don't necessarily need anything for your computer though. We have many people come to the Genius Bar insisting that they use an AV program and I usually recommend ClamXav. If a firewall is wanted/needed, the CyberSecurity program from ESET is probably decent...at least their Windows program is so I would assume the same of the Mac version. There is also a built in Firewall to the OS. Find it in System Preferences > Security.

As of right now the only real reason they make anti viruses for Mac users is if they are Windows users also. A PC virus can get on your Mac and you not know it. So if you use a removable device from a Mac OS to a Windows OS the virus can get on the removable device and then travel to your Windows machine.

I am a Computer Technician and work at a University that is going all Mac. We still have Windows machine out and about but we have to have Virus scanners on our image because it is policy. The only thing I use my virus scanner on my mac for is to clean thumb drives and external HDD that may be infect with windows viruses.

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/do-i-need-virus-protection-for-my-new-mac

click link above for full article....

What about Windows Viruses?

Windows viruses can only bring down your Mac if you are running Windows on your Mac. And it will likely be contained in the Windows environment. Another thing to keep in mind is that a Mac can spread Windows viruses in files and emails like a Windows computer, but it won't be effected by them. So be aware of suspicious files and forwarding emails with random attachments to Windows users.

If you're looking at peace of mind aside from viruses, Little Snitch is something I would consider getting. It acts as a customizable firewall preventing website/cookies and applications from uploading any private data that you don't want going out. You might be surprised at the amount of data that random companies try and collect.

Best $30 of computer protection I've ever bought.

http://www.obdev.at/index.html

Archived