Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Rookies and their NFL counterparts (comparisons to Redskins)

JoeSkins

Tyron Smith, Southern Cal (6-5, 307)

Pro comparison: Jammal Brown (Redskins)

Two long, athletic tackles who, despite lacking great girth, can play with strength on the strong side. Smith will probably get a shot at left tackle at the next level but, like Brown, might settle at right tackle.

J.J. Watt, Wisconsin (6-5, 290)

Pro comparison: Adam Carriker (Redskins)

People were impressed with Watt's combine performance, but scouts saw very similar results from Carriker four years ago. Carriker seemed to fit Washington's 3-4 scheme well in 2010, so Watt's career might get off on the right foot if he can find a similar situation as a rookie.

Jake Locker, Washington (6-3, 231)

Pro comparison: Donovan McNabb (Redskins)

He has an ideal combination of athleticism, arm strength and intangibles, and Locker, like McNabb, can make the highlight-reel play despite being only a moderately accurate passer. If a team is willing to accept the normal growing pains of a young quarterback transitioning to the challenge of dissecting complex defenses and throwing through tight windows, Locker, like McNabb, could wind up a Pro Bowl quarterback.

Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech (5-9, 212)

Pro comparison: Clinton Portis

Williams is an undersized back who plays faster than he timed but has struggled with durability. His acceleration out of his cuts makes him an ideal fit in the zone-blocking offense, where his vision and burst could make him a second-round steal.

I included Williams even though Portis was cut because I found it interesting. The article lists their top 50 prospects and makes comparisons to all of them.

The whole article can be found here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14789313/draft-comparisons-top-50-and-their-nfl-likenesses

Edit: This isn't a wish list and I only copied the prospects who looked like Redskins according to the article. The other players that you guys may or may not want with the 1st and 2nd picks are also there and compared to other players.

JJ Watt, Phil Taylor, Carriker is a pretty nasty front 3! Jake Locker comparison doesn't give me much to look forward to so no thanks. Ryan Williams would be a nice pickup.... late in the draft!

I'm sorry, I should have made it clear; I only cherry-picked players that were compared to current(ish) Redskins. It's not really a wish list or a selction of players who fit a 10th overall pick.

I gotcha.... I basically turned it into a wish list lol... Im very intrigued by Watt!

I agree completely about Watt. Picking him at 10 is a reach though, so the only way he'll end up a Redskin is if he slips to the 2nd or the team trades down.

JJ Watt, Phil Taylor, Carriker is a pretty nasty front 3! Jake Locker comparison doesn't give me much to look forward to so no thanks. Ryan Williams would be a nice pickup.... late in the draft!

But Watt being compared to Carriker does? :doh:

McNabb was a great QB until he got here. Just saying. If Locker is projected to be like McNabb sign me up! 1st round please!

I actually think the Locker/McNabb comparison is pretty close, though I could see Locker having a longer learning curve when he gets to the NFL than McNabb did.

Edit: Did you see Ryan Mallett? Jeff George. LOL

Hahahahaha! That's what stuck out to me as well. I wonder where Mallett can send the thank you card. lol

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 07:16 PM ----------

That's freaking brilliant.

But Watt being compared to Carriker does? :doh:

Oh yes it does. Big, strong, cornhusker with tons of college production. Carriker was really coming on at the end of this season. You have to remember that the NT makes the 3-4 and when Bryant was in pushing the pocket, it allowed for Carriker and Jarmon to get in as well as the LB's. I dont blame Carriker for our bad defense and little to no pass rushing ability. Carriker and Watt with a true, big-boy NT who can push the pocket is just rediculous IMO

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 02:19 PM ----------

McNabb was a great QB until he got here. Just saying. If Locker is projected to be like McNabb sign me up! 1st round please!

:doh:

No thanks, id rather actually go to the Super Bowl as a team playing in it instead of a team thats consistent in the playoffs but yet is always watching the big game from home

Tyron Smith, Southern Cal (6-5, 307)

Pro comparison: Jammal Brown (Redskins)

Two long, athletic tackles who, despite lacking great girth, can play with strength on the strong side. Smith will probably get a shot at left tackle at the next level but, like Brown, might settle at right tackle.

I think this guy must have forgot that Brown moved to RT after an injury and because we picked an LT with #4 in the draft, not because he had to "settle at right tackle". He was a Pro Bowl LT.

Poor wording I guess.

43. Christian Ponder, Florida State (6-2, 229)

Pro comparison: Tony Romo sits to pee (Cowboys)

Like Romo sits to pee (undrafted), Ponder's size and struggles with durability are enough to push him down the board. In reality, Ponder's arm strength, accuracy, mobility and intelligence could make him a very effective pro quarterback. He'll need to be better in critical situations, however.

:gus:

Archived