Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAToday: Pancho Villa, once a terrorist, now celebrated in New Mexico

Zguy28

Pancho Villa, once a terrorist, now celebrated in New Mexico

Pancho Villa, once a terrorist, now celebrated in New Mexico

COLUMBUS, N.M. — In 1916 this was ground zero, target of a cross-border raid by Pancho Villa that killed 18 Americans, enraged the nation and almost started a war with Mexico.

Which is why today, standing on Villa Hill in Pancho Villa State Park, looking toward Pancho Villa Café, Pancho Villa Lounge and Hacienda Villa Motel, and thinking about the coming "Raid Day" fiesta, the unimaginable suddenly seems imaginable:

Lower Manhattan in 2096, as tourists visit Osama bin Laden State Park, where they learn how the Muslim militant planned the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, how he eluded U.S.forces, and why he hated America.

It's outrageous, far-fetched and much like Columbus today, says Richard Dean, whose great-grandfather was killed when 500 Villa soldiers hit this border town on March 9, 1916, during the Mexican Revolution. It was the worst foreign attack on the continental United States — until Sept. 11, 2001.

Full article at link

Columbus isn't very far away from me, about 80 miles, and I used to go there to cross over to Palomas very frequently. It's such a sad little town (and hugely impacted by the violence across the border) that they have to get people to come by any means possible. Villa remains a hero to the mexicans because of his involvment in the revolution.

Also, the story of why Villa crossed over is a lot different (I think?) than Al Queda. He had purchased a huge amount of ammo from a supplier in Columbus who reneged on the deal. Villa crossed over (about 200 yards) and burned the place down I believe, then went home.

On a related subject ... just this week politician Peter King wants to investigate law abiding Muslims for not doing enough to catch terrorists.This is the same Peter King who openly supported the Irish Republican Army, and helped fundraising for weapons for these terrorist murderers. Before focusing on Muslims Peter King should investigate himself and have himself arrested.

I never understood why the British didn't strike his offices with a missile. ;)

My wife grew up in Az about 15 minutes north of Nogalas in a little town called Tubac which means compost pile in Apache. There is an old mission in that town wich was part of the " de Anza Trail" when Spain owned the territory and dates back to the 1770's.

Anyway the United States used that mission as a staging ground when we invaded Mexico the last time just before WWI in response to the Pancho Villa raids across the boarder.

Many US soldiers carved their names into the old missions thick walls when they were staged their in preparation for the invasion.. Many are still visible. One I took particular interest in was John J. Pershings signature.... carved into the wall.

What does the OP mean, ALMOST started a full blown war with Mexico? We invaded them with a pretty sizable army and knocked around in Mexico looking for Villa, who elluded us. The only reason it wasn't a "full blown war" was because potentially because Mexica wasn't capable of anything more at that time.

Well, I guess one of the things that make it more palatable is that Villa actually got his but kicked when he attacked Columbus, although I agree he should not be celebrated. The citizens of Columbas and the 13th cavalry inflicted 200 casualties on his force of 500 men (including 80 killed) and 5 captured (later hung). Villa himself barely escaped while covering his forces retreat. (The US suffered 44 casualties - 36 dead).

On a related subject ... just this week politician Peter King wants to investigate law abiding Muslims for not doing enough to catch terrorists.This is the same Peter King who openly supported the Irish Republican Army, and helped fundraising for weapons for these terrorist murderers. Before focusing on Muslims Peter King should investigate himself and have himself arrested.

I never understood why the British didn't strike his offices with a missile. ;)

What is it with guys named Peter King?

Just as an interesting aside, Columbus doesn't have much of a government left after the feds rounded them all up this morning.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_17582856?source=most_viewed

LAS CRUCES - Columbus Police Chief Angelo Vega, Mayor Eddie Espinoza, trustee Blas Gutierrez and his wife Gabby have been arrested as part of an overnight roundup by federal agents that targeted Doña Ana and Luna County, officials have confirmed.

Sherrif Raymond Cobos and Capt. Arturo Baeza of the Luna County Sheriff's Office confirmed the arrests to the Deming Headlight Thursday morning. As many as 11 people in Columbus were arrested and four to five homes remained surrounded by federal agents.

The Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation made the arrests following an investigation of federal firearms and drug trafficking allegations, officers said.

A sealed federal indictment from the U.S. Attorney's Office is expected to be released this afternoon detailing those charges and the charges against the Doña Ana County residents.

- continued at link

Archived