Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just watched Lichtensteiger vs. NYG week 17

pram11

Really guys? BMW is a great story, a physical freak for his size/athleticism, and absolutely a better fit at OG then OT, but the dudes got medical issues and 31 years old!

It's time to move on and build a winner. Our OL needs young proven talent with the potential to get better as a unit, not old names with heart conditions (not trying to be mean).

Just to clarify, he doesn't have a heart condition, they found a clot in his lungs. I've had this happen to a family member and it was related to a leg injury. A piece broke off the wound, passed thru the heart and deposited in to the lung. I'm not trying to down play the situation but it doesn't mean he can't play football or is some type of terminal condition. Believe it or not, it's not uncommon with leg wounds and knee procedures.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=5416820

Meanwhile, offensive lineman Mike Williams is out for the year after a blood clot was discovered in his lungs.

Williams was a remarkable comeback story a year ago, dropping some 70 pounds as he returned to the NFL after a three-year absence to make the Redskins' roster and start eight games.

This year he was expected to compete for the starting right guard spot, but a blood clot developed in his calf, leading to X-rays that located another one in his chest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also...

Williams spoke about the situation to Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan in D.C.

Though Williams didn’t get into many details, he confirmed that he won’t play in 2010, but he added, “I’m not dead.”

He vowed to return, if/when he obtains “100 percent” clearance from doctors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he comes back but that's just my opinion. BTW - when we signed him in '09, he was a 5-year Vet. He got a late start in the NFL.

He's a 31 year old offensive lineman who has major health concerns and has played 8 games in the past five seasons - what's the realistic upside here? No homerism.

For me, BEST case scenario, he's a utility backup who can play for 2 or so more seasons - expecting him to start, and perform at a high level, is just wildly unrealistic.

This thread definitely does raise some interesting points. I'd love it if the TS would watch another game from later on in the season to also give us his evaluation of that. I understand, it's his spare time, and I thank him for watching week 17 again anyways.

Having watched the games (only once mind you...as it happened), I would only really notice Lichtensteiger in plays down the field. From him scrambling to get on top of a batted down pass, to him fighting with a linebacker over a fumble, to him out chasing someone in the second level. He is quite clearly very athletic and is very well trained to always go after every ball on the ground. He seems like he could be perfect for a ZBS and wind up having one of those hustle plays that saves us from turning it over.

I never really remember anything about his around the LOS, which I suppose is a good thing, since I think I'd remember him if he got beat often and caused our QB to get a lot of pressure (or a sack). For instance, I remember when I see Rabach get blown up immediately.

I'm not going to say getting a LG isn't a priority this offseason, but I'm open minded right now and would just like more evidence.

------------------------

P.S. Is there a way to watch NFL replays of our games? I wouldn't mind doing this myself if I find myself with a lot of free time.

This thread definitely does raise some interesting points. I'd love it if the TS would watch another game from later on in the season to also give us his evaluation of that. I understand, it's his spare time, and I thank him for watching week 17 again anyways.

TS' analysis of that one week was pretty consistent with what I saw from Lichtensteiger throughout the season and I made a point of watching a few games twice, typically looking specifically at line play when I did.

I never really remember anything about his around the LOS, which I suppose is a good thing, since I think I'd remember him if he got beat often and caused our QB to get a lot of pressure (or a sack). For instance, I remember when I see Rabach get blown up immediately.

I'm not going to say getting a LG isn't a priority this offseason, but I'm open minded right now and would just like more evidence.

He never appeared to be physically outmatched by anyone and rarely got beat in a one-on-one battle. However, he did occasionally make mistakes with his reads and seemed to not always adjust well to stunts or delayed blitzes. Fortunately, those kinds of mistakes are correctable and are less likely to occur as our line gels as a unit and fully adapts to the system.

------------------------

P.S. Is there a way to watch NFL replays of our games? I wouldn't mind doing this myself if I find myself with a lot of free time.

Not legally unless NFL Network just so happens to be replaying a game... but there are ways.

Lictensteiger was one of our most productive linemen last season. He's played excellently at the LG position. He's clearly suited for the zone blocking plays that the Redskins run, and he certainly can pass protect. What's most positive about Lichtensteiger is that he can play LG, RG, or C.

Agreed, and its clear the coach feels that way.

Drafted him, re-signed him a week into his tenure as coach here, and then dumped Dock within a month of the season for him.

Lich is a solid peice to the puzzle, but honestly i think we did best when will montgomery played center instead of rabach, hell they made heyer look better. CR has been a problem for idk 2 seasons at the minimum, good teams have good centers cuz they are the line qb.

Jets Mangold

steelers Pouncy

Colts Saturday

Pats Koppen

Ravens Birk

saints goodwin

bears kruets

the only real exception is wells from the packers who isnt great but defintily held his own vs hampton in the superbowl.

Archived