Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Allies and Prostitutes

mardi gras skin

I was surfing Real Clear Politics and they had a link to this article:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/259125/obama-s-mubarak-overreach-bing-west

Its ok, but what really interested me was this comment from "Bart" posted on 02/07/11 at 15:39:

Mubarak has not been an American "ally". We have paid him money to do stuff and Mubarak, within his own personal and political limits, has done that stuff.

There is a difference between a prostitute and an ally; Mubarak is a prostitute. The U.K., in contrast, is, within limits (there are always limits), an ally. In general, if you identify your "ally" as a person, he is the former, and if you identify your "ally" as a country, it is the latter. (We don't identify the British P.M. as our "ally" - we have preferences, but by and large, we just accept whoever the British choose because we have confidence in the underlying relationship.)

Accordingly, by the same token, we don't have other "non-democratic allies". We have despots who do what we tell them to do, within their personal and political limits, because we pay them to do those things. Because they are not "allies" - because they are despots - it is fine with me if they are "unsettled." They don't deserve anything else.

There's nothing "arrogant" about saying that a despot ought no longer to remain in power. Or at least, it is no more "arrogant" than saying that any other person who is engaged in immorality should refrain from further immoral conduct. We are fully entitled to make and set forth our judgments about one the conduct of others. If that's "arrogance" (or "presumption"), then too bad - I'm willing to be arrogant or presumptuous.

I thought the distinction between allies and prostitutes (maybe "contractors" would be less inflammatory) was a good one. I'm ok with Obama dismissing Mubarak when he outlives his usefulness because he was never really an ally. There's no real fear that other dictatorship/"allies" will turn their backs on us as long as we keep giving them what they want. They couldn't care less that we moved on from Mubarak. He outlived his usefulness and they already expect that we'll lose interest in them if they can't give us what we want. There was no loyalty involved in these relationships.

I don't know if it actually works like that in the surreal world of international politics, but it makes sense to me.

He obviously has no future as a diplomat.

Interesting that you neglect to examine the John ;)

Careful ...even whores get offended

added

Who is worse....the one that offers a bribe..or one that takes one?

Interesting that you neglect to examine the John ;)

If the john pays, he's done his part. If he gets tired of what he's getting, he quits paying and moves on. He doesn't owe the prostitute anything.

But sure, choosing to align ourselves with dictators makes us scummy. Prostitution is a morally apt comparison.

If the john pays, he's done his part. If he gets tired of what he's getting, he quits paying and moves on. He doesn't owe the prostitute anything.

But sure, choosing to align ourselves with dictators makes us scummy. Prostitution is a morally apt comparison.

:no: It's unfair to prostitutes.

Archived