Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need some computer help really bad

terrifNick21

I posted these problems in another thread a bit back, but I feel maybe someone that could possibly help didn't see it since it was an older thread.

Alright I have Microsoft Office 2010, and I'm having problems with Access. I've used it before, and it worked fine. One day, I tried to open it and got this message:

"This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an assocation in Set Associations Control Panel."

What in the world does that mean, and how can I fix it?

Also, I have Windows Live Messenger, and when I try to open it, I get this message:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

That's all Greek to me. I really hope someone can help me out. :fingersx: It's badly needed and MUCH appreciated if anyone knows how to help/fix this. I will :bow: to you.

Did you try to open the Access program or a saved Access file? If you tried to open the file, you need to associate it to the Access program. To associate the file to the program, right click the file and click properties. You will see, on the General tab, a button called change. To the right of that button it will show the default program that is used to open it. It should say MS Access. If it does not, click the change button. It should list Access under Recommended Programs. If it does not, it may be listed under Other Programs. If it doesn't show there, click browse and then browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 and select MSACCESS.EXE. Then click Open and then click OK and make sure then the box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", then click OK again. That should correct the association.

If you are opening the program, it could be a corrupt icon file. You can try opening it from the run command line, on the Start menu, by typing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE. If that works, browse the the folder location and find MSACCESS.EXE and right click, then click Send To and the select Desktop (Create Shortcut).

Did you try to open the Access program or a saved Access file? If you tried to open the file, you need to associate it to the Access program. To associate the file to the program, right click the file and click properties. You will see, on the General tab, a button called change. To the right of that button it will show the default program that is used to open it. It should say MS Access. If it does not, click the change button. It should list Access under Recommended Programs. If it does not, it may be listed under Other Programs. If it doesn't show there, click browse and then browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 and select MSACCESS.EXE. Then click Open and then click OK and make sure then the box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", then click OK again. That should correct the association.

If you are opening the program, it could be a corrupt icon file. You can try opening it from the run command line, on the Start menu, by typing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE. If that works, browse the the folder location and find MSACCESS.EXE and right click, then click Send To and the select Desktop (Create Shortcut).

I sent it to the Desktop, try to open it, and get "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail." :(

Create a new user on your computer then login to that user profile and try to access the programs. If that works then your user profile is corrupt. All user profiles are under the Users folder in C drive for Vista and Windows 7.

Edit: Actually if your profile is corrupt just use the new profile and copy the data from the old profile to the new and delete the corrupt profile via control panel and user accounts option. This way there is no corruption left behind.

Did you just recover from a virus infection?

I have used this for Windows XP and may work in Windows 7:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Download EXE file Association.

This is one of the reason why the profile might become corrupt and if file association is messed up so are other object(s) you trying to access from your corrupt user profile. I believe in starting from a clean slate after such an infection/corruption.

By the way the link you provided will not work with Windows7 as registry has changed in Windows Vista and 7.

Alright, now this doesn't make sense.

I created another user like zskins suggested. Access and everything else worked FINE.

Well, today I go back to my original user account, try for the heck of it to open Access, and it opened like there was never a problem with it. :ols: Wtf?

I spent 5 hours trying to figure it out yesterday, and then that happens.

Alright, now this doesn't make sense.

I created another user like zskins suggested. Access and everything else worked FINE.

Well, today I go back to my original user account, try for the heck of it to open Access, and it opened like there was never a problem with it. :ols: Wtf?

I spent 5 hours trying to figure it out yesterday, and then that happens.

Yep.

It is things like this that keep me employed.

Thanks, Microsoft!

Archived