Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little help? Gift for my girlfriend...

CoolUsernameHere

I'm 20, my girlfriend's 19. The majority of the list will be stuff that only us or our circle of friends will understand. I just thought I could get some help from ES with some pop-culture info I could incorporate. For example, the reason I included Nic Cage in my original list is because I always make fun of his voice, and just generally hate him for some reason.

The Shaq thing was just an example to give you an idea of what kind of stuff I was looking for.

She's been complaining about how I never do anything cutesy or romantic, so I decided to give this a shot.

Don't overthink it. St. Valentine's Day can be treacherous if you go too far off the beaten path. Also, DON'T make it something you'll share with your circle of friends to entertain them. This is for her to make her feel special and focus your attention on her 100%. You don't have to be clever or witty, most of the time it'll just come off as forced or she'll think you're not taking it seriously.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with roses. Different girls have different preferences when it comes to colors and arrangements. But I don't know of a single woman who doesn't like roses. Pick a nice color other than white or yellow, and just give her a bouquet. I would suggest a beautiful hue of red; red doesn't have to be vanilla if you look around. Don't worry about the arrangement or getting a bunch of peripheral **** like baby's breath or whatever the hell they slap in there for filler. Take that **** out and put the roses in a glass vase with water. Give her this. It's a simple, tasteful, and beautiful gesture.

Take her on a date involving a meaningful meal. Getting reservations for a restaurant this late might be a mother****er and be prepared to drop some coin if you go to a nice place because everything is going to be expensive and extremely crowded. Sometimes you can find good Valentine's deals if you look around; one year my girlfriend and I found a great place that was like 60 or 70 bucks for a lobster & filet mignon and desert as well as a wine pairing for two that was awesome. It was a hole in the wall bar/cafe style place that's probably not even in business any more. Little places like that sometimes run sweet deals.

But if you don't want to do that try and picnic if the weather permits. Some of the most special times my girlfriend and I have had have been simple picnics at a meaningful location. We'd go to the river or a nearby lake and just sit and eat finger foods and drink wine together. If you two are alone, make a toast to her and tell her how wonderful the past year with her has been. Just be sincere. That'll be more meaningful than a list of funny stories. There is a time and place for being funny and making her laugh and feel comfortable. Her anniversary and Valentine's gift isn't really it. It's an occasion she wants to be special and memorable and cracking wise lacks that punch of sincerity you want to deliver. Remember, women care infinitely more about the Anniversary and Valentine's than men do. You should try to make her think that it's symbolically important to you as well (even if it really isn't).

That's my honest advice. Trust me, I'm speaking from hard won experience. I asked my girlfriend out on Valentine's day four years ago and it's our anniversary too.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 02:02 AM ----------

And a side note: Its hard to force being "romantic". If its not something you'd normally do (not on a day-to-day basis, but just something that isn't "you"), you have to be careful that it doesn't come off funny.

Absolutely. The one thing he definitely doesn't want her to think is that it's a joke to him. Or that he's turning it into a humorous situation because it's so uncomfortable for him. That doesn't make her feel special. Friends joke with each other to avoid sincerity or awkwardness.

One doesn't have to be John Donne, one can be the man of few words and still make a romantic gesture. I'd tell him to just speak from the heart. It won't be a cliche if he really means what he says. If he loves her he should tell her so and explain to her about how special the past year has been to him and how happy she makes him. The anniversary involves a renewal of one's commitment and for me, it's a time when I reflect and then look forward to spending another year with the girl I love. Days like these are things you'll always remember as benchmarks. I still remember my first anniversary very clearly, what I ate, the long wait in the restaurant, what we wore, our waiter's name, the type of flowers I got her, and the anxiety I felt as I tread unfamiliar ground. It's a precious memory to me.

If he brings that kind of approach to the day, he'll be fine.

Ok, what the hell...I'll bite. How about this one: Ben Roethlisberger has been accused twice of rape?

Because he is in fact a rapist. It's not a joke and it's not funny.

I banged your sister ___ times (fill it in with how many times you've drunkenly hooked up with her sister)

You guys have not been together for 1 month of Obama's term

Fox News went from Fair and Balanced to "LOL we don't give a ____" Fill in the blank with a synonym for hooking up with your GF's sister

There have been ~13 Billion sex acts NOT involving you two (or her sister)

Facebook wasn't selling your information when you first started dating.

Neither of you could legally drink when..... edit nvm

2 years and 1 day ago you WEREN'T ***** whipped....

:ols:

First off, he's not a rapist. He's never been convicted of anything. Secondly, its obvious you didn't read the entire thread.

I did read the entire thread, but it was around 5 am and I know people who were in college with him and yes, he is a rapist. I also wasn't making a rape joke.

Hahaha, I love how this thread has pretty much turned into "Give CoolUsernameHere general wacky advice for his love life".

And yes, we're both Auburn students and I've strongly considered getting her Auburn panties before. I'm just too much of an awkward pansy to go through with buying them.

I think your idea is great, but I'm also 37 and have never spent 2 V Days with the same girl, so I wouldn't be listening to me.

I did read the entire thread, but it was around 5 am and I know people who were in college with him and yes, he is a rapist. I also wasn't making a rape joke.

You stated he was a rapist, as if it were fact. Again, its not a fact. Show me proof of where he's been convicted of raping someone. And I don't even like the guy, btw. And I do think that its very possible that he has raped a woman/girl before. But you can't state it as fact.

Anyway, **** that loser. Go Packers!

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 04:27 PM ----------

Hahaha, I love how this thread has pretty much turned into "Give CoolUsernameHere general wacky advice for his love life".

And yes, we're both Auburn students and I've strongly considered getting her Auburn panties before. I'm just too much of an awkward pansy to go through with buying them.

lol What's awkward about it?...And if you wouldn't want to buy them at the store, then just order them online. Pretty simple.

You stated he was a rapist, as if it were fact. Again, its not a fact. Show me proof of where he's been convicted of raping someone. And I don't even like the guy, btw. And I do think that its very possible that he has raped a woman/girl before. But you can't state it as fact.

Anyway, **** that loser. Go Packers!

Yes he has not been convicted. You talk to somebody he has "allegedly" raped and form your own opinion. **** that loser it right.

lol What's awkward about it?...And if you wouldn't want to buy them at the store, then just order them online. Pretty simple.

**** that, just man up and go to the store and get them. It's not like the cashier is going to assume he's buying them for himself.... hopefully.

Although I don't know about getting underwear for a woman. I've never done it and don't think I ever will. Too much room to **** it up. What if you get her the wrong size? What if you get her something that is substantially too large? Good luck living that one down. Let the woman pick out her own clothes. If you want to get her something to wear, jewelry is the only safe route (assuming you know her ring size... and what she likes).

Come on, man. If you've been with your girl for two years, you shouldn't feel awkward in this area. Have you ever gone into a Victoria's Secret with her?

If you don't know her size, that's something else, and understandable.

Archived