Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Welcome to the Dysfunctional Bowl Cowboys are in better position than Redskins heading into Sunday 'showdown'

tr1

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mosley_matt&id=5925882 By Matt Mosley

ESPN.com

It seems like such a long time ago that the two worst teams in the NFC East squared off in Landover, Md., in a game that ended on an Alex Barron holding penalty.

We thought the play might live in infamy for the Dallas Cowboys, but it's only another sad footnote in a pitiful season that has become slightly tolerable because of the work of interim coach Jason Garrett.

Some of us thought the Washington Redskins' season-opening win over the Cowboys might mean something. But we now know the Skins were in such a state of disrepair that not even Mike Shanahan could save this thing. In fact, the Redskins don't seem to be in much better shape than when they brought in a man from a bingo parlor to call plays last season.

Sunday will feature two of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. The Cowboys certainly have more talent than the Redskins:rolleyes:, which makes their 4-9 record all the more embarrassing. It's sad that a team has to win this game Sunday, although there's always the threat of a scoreless tie.

The Redskins are led by a man who has serious skins on the wall, and the Cowboys are led by a man who owns a Princeton degree. You'd have to call Garrett a failure in Dallas as an offensive coordinator. His greatest moments, which came in 2007, were aided by the presence of Tony Sparano, who wasn't truly appreciated by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones until he led a remarkable turnaround as head coach in Miami in '08.

Shanahan appeared to be a made man with the Redskins just because he was powerful enough to keep meddling owner Dan Snyder in the shadows. Shanahan's first mistake was getting into a feud with a defensive tackle who didn't give a damn. The head coach made such a production of showing who was boss that he almost pulled off the impossible feat of making Albert Haynesworth seem sympathetic. Shanahan tried to make an example out of the petulant Haynesworth, but all he did was fuel the controversy.:rolleyes:

But as if that situation weren't enough, Shanahan benched starting quarterback Donovan McNabb with the game still hanging in the balance against the Detroit Lions. In the aftermath of that benching, Shanahan and his son/offensive coordinator, Kyle, embarrassed themselves by presenting a menu of explanations. Two weeks later, the organization signed McNabb to a long-term contract extension that appeared to make him one of the richest men in football history before ESPN Insider Adam Schefter suggested otherwise the next afternoon.

Garrett doesn't have Shanahan's pedigree, but you could argue that he's done a better head-coaching job this season. :ols:He's convinced players to actually show a little pride in what they're doing, and he's led the Cowboys to a 3-2 record since his take over.

Of these two dysfunctional franchises, I think the Cowboys are in better position. The Redskins don't know who their quarterback will be next season, despite what McNabb's contract says. He's actually on pace to set the Redskins' record for passing yards in a season, despite the Skins' No. 28 ranking in points scored. Jay Schroeder's magical '86 season in which he threw for 4,109 yards is there for the taking.

I think Garrett has already won the job in Dallas, but wins over the Skins and Cardinals would cement the deal. That's why this isn't a "meaningless" game for the two hapless teams. If the Cowboys somehow run the table and finish 7-9, perhaps it will be seen as a good thing in some circles.

But in a lot of ways, it would just be a reminder of what could've been. Jones has a lot to think about over the next few weeks. Did he wildly overestimate this team's talent or did his players underachieve in epic fashion?

For the record, I have the Cowboys winning the Dysfunctional Bowl, 31-14. I just wish I could be there to see it. For some odd reason, ESPN.com has me attending a game that actually makes a difference.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 08:12 PM ----------

Matt Mosely is a puke apologist.

Some things never change.

I hope he's right about the red head having won the job.

This is going to be a fun, slow torturous decline of the pukes.

Life is good. :rotflmao:

I think the Cowboys are in better position, but they certainly have quite a few questions at important positions.

How healthy will Romo sits to pee be next year? People tend to forget that he's not really that young anymore and he's been injury prone.

The offensive line needs a ton of help, they're big but they're not great and they're not that young.

The RB situation is a question mark. None of the 3 guys are really an every down back that they can rely on. Barber is injury prone, Choice and Jones are fast but can't necessarily get the short yardage.

The WR corps is phenomenal, unless Dez has real injury issues in the future.

The secondary is, at times, laughable. The defense has been down overall this year but its hard to say how much of that has to do with the whole season being a disaster and Wade Phillips being such a joke.

Brooking is an issue, both in age and production.

They're sure as hell going to be more of a contender next year, unless "Red Jesus" manages to lose the locker room :ols:

I think the Cowboys are in better position, but they certainly have quite a few questions at important positions.

How healthy will Romo sits to pee be next year? People tend to forget that he's not really that young anymore and he's been injury prone.

The offensive line needs a ton of help, they're big but they're not great and they're not that young.

The RB situation is a question mark. None of the 3 guys are really an every down back that they can rely on. Barber is injury prone, Choice and Jones are fast but can't necessarily get the short yardage.

The WR corps is phenomenal, unless Dez has real injury issues in the future.

The secondary is, at times, laughable. The defense has been down overall this year but its hard to say how much of that has to do with the whole season being a disaster and Wade Phillips being such a joke.

Brooking is an issue, both in age and production.

They're sure as hell going to be more of a contender next year, unless "Red Jesus" manages to lose the locker room :ols:

I liked your assessment. We need an overhaul of the Offensive Line, primarily, to allow our running backs to actually make it past the LOS without getting touched. Doug Free is our only future keeper for now but we need a young,athletic RT or Guard.

Next, the defense. I think our secondary is a result of our D-Line not creating enough pressure. I can't recall the last time our defensive ends (Olshansky/Spears) made a play. Ratliff is a beast but he's not a Nose Tackle. He's a Defensive End filling in for a HUGE gap on the line. We need to draft a pocket-shredding DT and move Ratliff to DE. That will be a major improvement for our D-Line, creating more pressure on the QB and not allowing our secondary to be torched continuously.

Our secondary though... jeez. T-New is just about done. Jenkins will improve with a good off-season of coaching, in my opinion. Our true need is a Free Safety. If we had a guy like Ed Reed back there I guarantee that would be the difference between a loss and a win.

Hopefully Dallas takes advantage of the Draft and Free Agency to fulfill these needs. Keyword: Hopefully... :(

As for this game, we have revenge on our minds... JG will make this team pull out a convincing win.

Quite frankly I don't care anymore. I just want the season over.

pjf.......me too hahaha

I told my son, this could be the first time ever in my entire football watching life, that i d"dont" watch the Cowboys/Skins game. I may just watch the redzone channel. Or go to my Bro's and watch the NY/Philly game on the dish!!!!!

It's a win-win for both teams.

We win, we beat the Skins. We lose, better draft pick.

They win, they sweep Dallas. They lose, better draft pick.

It's definitely a race to the bottom at this point. As bearish as I've been about the Cowboys this season, the Skins keep pulling head-scratchers, like this benching of McNabb. I simply don't get what Shanahan is trying to accomplish at this point. But hey, it's the Cowboys-Skins on Sunday. Anything is possible.

It's definitely a race to the bottom at this point. As bearish as I've been about the Cowboys this season, the Skins keep pulling head-scratchers, like this benching of McNabb. I simply don't get what Shanahan is trying to accomplish at this point. But hey, it's the Cowboys-Skins on Sunday. Anything is possible.

I can understand your confusion. You had a qb who was 1-7, yet there was never any consideration of benching him.

:rolleyes:

I can understand your confusion. You had a qb who was 1-7, yet there was never any consideration of benching him.

:rolleyes:

Or rather we had a QB who was 1-4, had the #3 rating in the NFL and a big lead on their rivals at the time of his injury. Romo sits to pee is not and has never been the problem with the Cowboys.

Romo sits to pee is not and has never been the problem with the Cowboys.

This is what we are dealing with ATN Nation? :ols::ols::ols:: Maybe not the one and only problem, but I digress...

It's funny. The Cowboys have been just about as ****ty as the Redskins for many years now, yet ESPN would never ever never talk about the Cowboys as the cellar dwellers they really are. According to the idiots at ESPN, the Cowboys can only underachieve, as playoffs, and ultimately, hoisting the Lombardi is what this team was put on God's green earth for. Don't really see all this "talent" they keep talking about. But if they say it enough, the weaker minded among us turn the force fed perception into reality. They call it an idiot box for a reason.

Suck it Cowboy fans and have a ****ty X-mas.:dallasuck: I really mean that.

• 2 weeks later...
Romo sits to pee is not and has never been the problem with the Cowboys.

Magically, since Romo sits to pee participated in ONE playoff win, puke nation has forgotten his failures before and after that win against an injury decimated division rival.

I hope Romo sits to pee starts for the pukes for a dozen more years.

Archived