Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Too many dumb turnovers.  We should have won this game.

As an aside, this Spurs team doesn't look as good as I thought they would.  Their bigs are talented offensive players but they soft on defense and on the glass and they don't have many shot creators without Parker.  Kawhi Leonard is a great two way player, but he doesn't have much of a first step and he struggles to create off the bounce.  I don't care what their records are, Golden State is way better than this team.  I think the Clippers are probably better too.

If you've noticed the open three point shots the Wizards keep giving up in droves, watch the defensive rotation away from the ball on drives.  When the corner defender (usually a forward) moves inside to help the defender who is sliding over to protect the rim, the ball gets kicked out to the corner.  The wing defender rotates to the corner.  Here's the problem... all of those guys that wound up around the paint on the drive are still there and the wing player is now alone.  Drive and kick + one pass = wide open shot against the Wizards defense more often than not. 

I'm not sure how the wizards want to deal with that but two passes for a predictable wide open look makes it entirely too easy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not just that Destino, but our wing defenders cheat way too far off three point shooters towards the lane.  Beal in particular.  He gets caught watching the ball at the top of the key a lot.  He's not the weak side help, he needs to play tighter on his match up.  This isn't a zone defense.

I've noticed that.  The defense sucks in on penetration too much.  Sometimes so much so that it looks like they are crashing down to rebound long before a shot attempt.  What annoys me is that this isn't just individual play, but a scheme issue.  It would certainly help if defenders were better at staying in front of guys and having more than one athletic big, would be good too... but in the pace and space era, I'm not seeing the advantages of sabotaging the perimeter defense in order to crowd the paint on every drive.  The results certainly haven't been encouraging.     

• Like 1

Should have won that game.  Should have won at OKC too.  Should have come out of this rough four game stretch 3-1.  It's a different season if we're 8-10 with wins at OKC and SA instead of 6-12.  We're choking this season away.  And every game the bench finds a way to come up small.  It's beyond frustrating to see Wall, Beal, Porter, and Gortat playing as well as they have and the team is still losing games in bunches.  It's beyond frustrating that Mahinmi has only played 14 minutes this season.

Spent a billion dollars on a bench and it's sending us to the top of the lottery.  This better be Ernie's last season in DC.

• Like 3

You know it wont though. The guy is here til death. If he can survive gungate and trading the 5th for Foye+Miller, spending 15 mil on Smith, 60+ on another Nene when the original could have been resigned for 6, vet min on a lottery baller, and another 26 mil on a guy who sees less time on the court than Smith will barely put a dent in his status. Imo Foye+ Miller was the worst move a front office has made in any sport of all time. Worse than Ricky Williams, because he was legit.