Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So why did we switch to the 3-4?

FatboysSkins

What's up with us not giving credit when credits due? I hear alot of Greg Blache bashing going on. Granted I didn't like how conservative we were at times last year and we probably coulda been more aggressive. But all in all we had a good defense last year that kept us in alot of games we would of other wise been blow out of. I hear the excuse they couldn't stop anyone when the game was on the line. Yeah, but when you play 45 out of 60 minutes a game becase your offense keeps turning the ball over and going 3 and out, how do you expect them to? Has anyone thought maybe the defense was exhausted by the 4th quarter and that's why they couldn't stop anyone? Or maybe that's why Blache couldn't be more aggressive with the defense, because they wouldnt have been able to compete by the end third quarter.

The Redskins have perhaps 6 players for which the 3-4 alignment is either good news or of no practical significance:

Adam Carriker, Laron Landry, Brian Orakpo and Kareem Moore and the two CBs.

The team then has the remaining players for which the institution of the 3-4 has reduced their overall effectiveness:

Phillip Daniels, Kedric Golston, Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher, Andre Carter, Lorenzo Alexander, Jeremy Jarmon, Albert Haynesworth and Chris Wilson.

The advantage to the 3-4 was supposed to be pressure and turnovers. After 3 games the Redskins have FOUR turnovers :laugh:

Big deal.

We completely overhaul the FO, the coaching staff, begin installing a new offense and defense and after three games so many are ready to jump ship. I don't get it. Years of mistakes are not going to be corrected in one offseason. Have patience fellow 'Skins fans. Lets actually give someone (who by the way has a pretty impressive resume) the chance to develop this team from the ground up. It might look bad before it gets better, but many times these things do. We're talking years here, not 3 weeks.

And, as far as the defense goes, you start with the scheme then get the players later. It's like building a house. You don't build a house based on the lumber you've already got. You start with a blueprint, then get the materials (players) you need based on the plan.

Yeah, I agree about patience. But that patience has to be based upon seeing the correct application of evaluation to personnel and scheme.

It seems the Redskins have made things a LOT harder on themselves than they had to compete in 2010.

The Redskins had the #30 offense in the NFL after 2009 and I was hoping THAT was going to be focus of bringing Shanahan in here.

I didn't think Shanahan's largest reclamation project was going to be to tear down the defense which was for the most part solid in 2009 and create uncertainty and gaps there as well.

There was enough heavy lifting to do already and as others have mentioned the draft picks weren't there to attack EVERY problem or every PERCEIVED problem at once.

How about we get McNabb, solidify the offensive line and get ONE wide receiver in 2010 and then in 2011 go after additional talent on defense and perhaps tweak the scheme.

It's all a matter of proportionality.

While it may be a mistake for us as fans to expect too much progress in ALL areas at once, I think the coaching staff may have been guilty of that themselves.

br

To me 2010 was setting itself up to be a transition year.

When Shanahan was hired I hoped we were going to jettison the older players here (some of which we did) but then he brought in other players that were just as long in the tooth.

At some point this team has to morph into a youthful contender.

Because the cap prevents the Redskins from simply going out and buying that much talent on the open market in free agency even if the talent eye is better now than it was in the past with Cerrato.

I first want to start off by saying Stephon Heyer is absolute garbage and should be cut imeadiatly.
Your assessment of Heyer's talent may be accurate. But your solution (to cut him immediately) would replace a warm body with little talent who knows the offense for another warm body with the same or less talent who does not know the offense. The time to replace a poor backup is when the first string player is healthy and at either the start or end of the season. You don't replace the backup as a knee jerk reaction when he plays just as poorly as you expected him to.Heyer should never have been in professional football and never been a Redskin. His replacement should have been drafted the fist year he played. But he's what we have. Wait until the lawnmower blade quits spinning before you change it out.

To answer the real subject of this thread, however, I believe the reason that the Skins switched to a 3-4 is that Shanahan and Allen have both seen good 3-4's in their time and believe that it's a superior defene to a 4-3. I believe they overestimated their ability to implement it successfully in a single season and that they underestimated the talent needed to successfully implement the transition. I believe they thought Haynesworth was going to be a stellar NT and his reluctance to play came as a surprise to both of them. I believe they seriously felt hat Kemoeatu was fully healed and that he and Albert would successfully spell each other when either was winded. I believe that they grossly underestimated the need to have a space-eating, clog the middle of the LOS NT who occupioed multiple bodies and kept the opposiong guards and center off the linebackers. Or mayber when they studued film of the Redskins, they saw how poorly the Redskins played aginst a 3-4

The reason why we switched to this defense is that everyone was saying that the 3-4 defense was responsible for teams winning the Super Bowl. Well that is a big lie. The Giants, New England, Colts and Saints all run the 4-3 defense and not the 3-4 defense. Only the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with the 3-4 defense. So your guess is good as mine.

The reason why we switched to this defense is that everyone was saying that the 3-4 defense was responsible for teams winning the Super Bowl. Well that is a big lie. The Giants, New England, Colts and Saints all run the 4-3 defense and not the 3-4 defense. Only the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with the 3-4 defense. So your guess is good as mine.

I thought NE ran the 3-4 in the past...

The problem is everyone is tryin to pin point the problem, and the real problem is a colllection of problems.

1. Shanahan has said that he believes the 3 4 is the ideal defense and this would lead one to believe he is not gonna switch it (whether for better or worse)

2. We lack the true personnel for the 3 4 defense and i believe it is beginning

3. Those saying the Williams defenses were not dominant are sorely mistaken however don't bring the blache defense into the conversation (unless saying it is better than the current scheme which is not saying much) because it was good but did not even teeter near great

4. Albert's talent is being wasted (not sayin i dont agree with him not playing and us not building our defense around him) and the amount of stock we put into him has restricted us from making a truly dominant defense (and may possibly continue in the future)

5. Finally, its early and we can hope that they work to rebuild this and produce a successful 34, or realize their faults and return to the 4 3 (but include some more blitz schemes such as williams did)

The Skins defenses under Williams were good, not dominant. The Patriots slapped 52 points on the Skins in 2007. Thats not dominant.

I don't care what defense a team plays, if they don't execute, it will not work.

And we have to remember that the Skins didn't win a division game last season. The defense didn't stop anybody. Shanahan knows the 3-4 defense is the way to go. Its a passing league now. More teams are moving to it.

It's not the 3-4 defense. It's not the personell either. What about mentioning the fact that the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans have potent offenses? We opened the season facing two tremendous offenses and it contributed to our last place ranking in the NFL. Had the Redskins opened the season against teams with lesser offensive weapons, the Redskins would not have given up all of those yards and that might've been ranked in the top ten after just two weeks. Let's give a little credit to the offeneses that they've faced so far.

I hear alot of people saying a new system takes time to develop, you can't build a 3-4 defense with four draft picks, and the 3-4 is fitted to Orakpo and Landrys talent sets. I call bs yeah it will take time to develop if NO ONE ON THE DEFENSE FITS THE SCHEME. Every player on our defense is fitted to the 4-3 especially Orakpo and Landry. Wether 3-4 or 4-3 a simple move of Landry to SS was all that was need for his potential to be seen. Orakpo is better in the 4-3 because he is able to use his speed alot better especially with AH demanding a double in the middle hence the 11 sacks as a rookie last year. Andre Carter is absolutly out of place in the

3-4 which wax the whole reason we got him from the 49ers in the first place and if we are staying with the 3-4 he needs to be cut now for the benifit of the future. I don't really understand why they would switch now especially with so many other areas that needed attention rather then our defense. They coulda always switched next year we they coulda had more options in the draft or maybe even free agency. I feel like if we still had the 4-3 set we could really be superbowl contenders because we only gave up 17 points a game last year. Throw in some new blitz packages and we would be in business due to the fact our offense can give us 3 touchdowns a game now.

LOL!!!! Yeah, just throw in some blitz packages and everything will be peachy. This defense couldn't stop anybody last year. I mean, have you forgotten the games the defense couldn't hold off opponents. I don't want too hear about stats. Yeah, the defense was 10th last year. But who was afraid of Blache? This defense was 4-12. Don't fool yourself.

Andre Carter sucks in the 3-4 defense. We all agree. But Chris Wilson fits perfectly, and needs too play more. Wilson could take some of the pressure off of Orakpo. Orakpo fits the scheme. He is a pass rusher. Why couldn't he use his speed in the 3-4? Don't understand.

It's not the 3-4 defense. It's not the personell either. What about mentioning the fact that the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans have potent offenses? We opened the season facing two tremendous offenses and it contributed to our last place ranking in the NFL. Had the Redskins opened the season against teams with lesser offensive weapons, the Redskins would not have given up all of those yards and that might've been ranked in the top ten after just two weeks. Let's give a little credit to the offeneses that they've faced so far.

yeah, I agree. But I think the corners should be pressing more. WR's are coming off the line of scrimmage, without being bumped. The Skins are playing zone and WR's are sitting in the soft spot. Get up on the WR's.

This is such bs. This team isn't rebuilding for a long term. Get that out of your head. WE GOT MCNUGGET because we want to win it. WHY WASTE A PICK FOR MCNUGGET?

we were ranked #10 according to NFL defence rankings from last year's season(with Landry at FS)

we are currently ranked #DEADLAST in NFL defence.

With the 4-3 def scheme and the blitz packages w/ plrs playing at right spots = our team would def be 3-0. OUR WHOLE PROBLEM LAST YEAR WAS OFFENSE.

WHY mess up def that was actually above average? Its like making problems that we don't need.

Lets see. Did this defense stop anybody last year? Certainly didn't win any division games. I saw this defense blow leads in Philly, Dallas etc. New Orleans came back and beat this team. In fact, after a FG miss by the Skins, the Saints scored in 4 plays. Above average? What team was afraid of the Skins defense? We aren't talking about the Steelers or Ravens.

And seriously, Shanahan knew Campbell sucked and McNabb is thousand times better. Give it a rest. Pathetic!!!

I'm thinking it was sarcastic.

Anyways I really hate how this defense has limited Fletcher, turned Carter into a bum and made Haynesworth...worthless. Three great players, not being used to their full potential. We need to go back to 4-3. Want to go 3-4 Shanny? Get all the guys you need first, trade the guys who can't help you, THEN switch.

couldn't get all the players, not with the current CBA. Teams locked up NT's, the most important part of the 3-4. So, they signed Kemo. Carricker didn't play well in the 4-3 in St. Louis, after playing in the 3-4 in college.

Haynesworth is a clown. Very talented but is a piece of ****.

Why do the Skins need to go back 4-3 defense? Because the defense has brought the team so many Super Bowls in the last 20 years, right? GTF out of here!

Yeah but what about how the rams without Stephen Jackson? I guess I missed the news flash of when they became a potent offense. They moved the ball on us any and everyway they wanted too.

LOL!!!! Yeah, just throw in some blitz packages and everything will be peachy. This defense couldn't stop anybody last year. I mean, have you forgotten the games the defense couldn't hold off opponents. I don't want too hear about stats. Yeah, the defense was 10th last year. But who was afraid of Blache? This defense was 4-12. Don't fool yourself.

Andre Carter sucks in the 3-4 defense. We all agree. But Chris Wilson fits perfectly, and needs too play more. Wilson could take some of the pressure off of Orakpo. Orakpo fits the scheme. He is a pass rusher. Why couldn't he use his speed in the 3-4? Don't understand.

So I guess if you don't strike fear in peoples hart then you can't ever have a good defense. Wether you want to admit it or not. The defense was exhausted last year by time they really needed to lock down with the game on the line and they were the only reason. Alot of our games ended in dramatic loses and not excruciating blowouts.

So I guess if you don't strike fear in peoples hart then you can't ever have a good defense. Wether you want to admit it or not. The defense was exhausted last year by time they really needed to lock down with the game on the line and they were the only reason. Alot of our games ended in dramatic loses and not excruciating blowouts.

Part of this is true. The defense was on the field a lot. I agree. And problems in the secondary continue to haunt the defense. Its not the 3-4 defense. Players are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. Its the little things.

Archived