Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film review of Colts vs. Texans game (Redskins related)

TheShredder

While watching the Colts vs. Texans game there are a few things that I was looking for.

I will post some of my observations and if you've reviewed the game than let's see if we're on the same page!

Point 1:

In the beginning of the game the Colts were playing hard and Bob Sanders was making plays. The results for the Colts Defense changed when Bob Sanders left the game injured.

Point 2:

Arian Foster appears to be a large down hill runner. In the beginning he was getting hit and wasn't averaging the big yardage per carry that he got in the second half. The Colts DL appears undersized to consume space and gaps from the onset. LB'ers and Safeties were making tackles after large holes were created at the line of scrimmage. In the second half, with Bob Sanders out, the Colts entire Defense appears to be tired and unmotivated. Arian Foster didn't look like Adrian Peterson with great vision and moves, rather he looked like a big strong downhill runner that was essentially taking what the Colts Defense was giving him.

Point 3:

When the Colts did get pressure on Schaub it appears to come from the middle. Dwight Freeney did come of the edge and have some success as is to be expected with his talent. Schaub is still a pretty young QB and does make some poor decisions during each game. Schaub can and will make all the throws and did so when called upon in this game, however he did seem to be susceptible to pressure even though there was not much for him in this game.

Point 4:

Texans defense does have a nice pass rush. Mario Williams is the real deal and a true playmaker. He is able to come off blocks to make plays in the run game as well as being an elite pass rusher. Though he doesn't appear surpass Demarcus Ware just yet, he is of that caliber of LB'er. The Texans 4-3 scheme appears to be vulnerable to the pass as well as you can see that a talented RB can grab chunks of 4-5 yards as is expected when you create a hole in the 4-3 D. J.Addai had some good runs and setup P.Manning to have some success. The Texans secondary is young and appears to be the point of attack for opposing Offensive units. When the Colts did setup the pass with the run and gave P.Manning just enough time, the chains moved and point were put on the board.

Point 5:

Week one injuries are important just as much as any other week. However, Week 1 injuries to key positions seem to prove more costly in the subsequent weeks at key positions. Texans did sustain a big hit to their Defensive Line when RDE Connor Barwin was lost for the season. They will be kicking the tires of the waiver wire to find DL depth right away. The running game by opposing offensive units will most likely play to a pounding running game to test that depth as games get into the later stages of each half and late in the game.

There seems to be some holes in the Texans. They are not the second coming of the Lord. They are a very motivated and well coached team that plays as a unit and although not perfect, play very well as indicated from their Week 1 film.

Redskins will create a very formidable game plan and if executed well while improving on their own Week 1 performance, should be in the game as it comes down to the wire.

Sound off.

HTTR!!!

Great analysis. I think the 'Skins are going to get after them this week. However they are loaded on offense. The passing game is sick and now they have a running game. The Redskins have to play better against the run and find a way to either A.) shutdown Andre Johnson or B.) pressure Schaub so much he isn't able to get it to Johnson. If not the feeling of this week will fade fast.

HTTR

I have not had the opportunity to watch that game, but the very thought out observations make me feel better about next week. I was saying that next weeks game worried more than the Cowpukes game just because they took it to INDY. Now I feel more confident that we will hold our own and possibly improve next week. Great Post

I have not had the opportunity to watch that game, but the very thought out observations make me feel better about next week. I was saying that next weeks game worried more than the Cowpukes game just because they took it to INDY. Now I feel more confident that we will hold our own and possibly improve next week. Great Post

This year is going to be pretty much like it was last week, but every week. We all feel the same way. The only way that I can get a read on the game is taking an approach that would be similar to what a coach or player might do. Watching the film and putting together an analysis of your own will make the game on Sunday more worthwhile. It will also settle your suspicions when it comes to knowing your opponents.

Let's remember that on Any Given Sunday, any NFL team can beat another. The game is still won and lost in the trenches. There is no substitute for hard work.

Arian Foster did not have some Adrian Peterson skills. I did not see that. He was running through huge holes in an overpowered, highly motivated offensive line. The further you get into the game (with Bob Sanders out) you can definitely tell that the Colts Defense was tired, unmotivated, and man handled. I think Kieland Williams would have had a similar game.

One thing I would reiterate would be that Schaub made some pretty poor choices and made some easily identifiable mistakes. He did throw 1 TD pass, but he also threw 1 INT. There would have been more INT's had he thrown more. He didn't. He was not under that much pressure all day.

Texans Defense is stout against the run, has a very good pass rush, but is vulnerable in the secondary. Sounds like Dallas a little, but playing a 4-3 base that P.Manning had his way with whenever he got more than 2 seconds for routes to develop. I would add that P.Manning doesn't scramble and if he did he would have had 20-40 yards rushing and picked up a few first downs to move the chains.

I am definitely not panicked with regards to the Texans. They are as big of a challenge as Dallas was and will be as motivated. Having home field is an advantage in this game. Another advantage is having a healthy team that has had another week of the regular season to grow.

The 12th man very well may be the deciding factor again!

HTTR!!!!

Sounds like we should jam blitzes up the middle, I think we have the pass rushing power for that.

I am still worried about our Run - D

Our offense still is a question mark for me... I wana see 21 points atleast in this game, I think we need that to stay alive here.

There will be blitzes of all sorts for sure, but more important than the blitzes up the middle it will be important for the NT to hold his space. AH could play a huge role in this game if he can manage to hold his space. If AH or Kemo can hold their own space and require double teams than the 3-4 blitzers will get lots of pressure on Schaub and hit Foster head on. I will take London Fletcher and Landry head on with Foster. I don't think Foster gets 100 yards with film on him now. He was an after thought in the Colts game plan for sure.

Nobody on the planet knows the Texan tendencies better than Mike Shanahan and his son. If anybody can exploit their weaknesses, it will be them.

Note: I'm glad we'll be playing this game at home! I'll gladly trade it for other NFC matchups that we have to play away. It's a small advantage in the big scheme of things, but in such an even matchup -- I'll take every one we can get.

Good post Shredder.

Point #1 - they are probably going to pick on Doughty just like Dallas did. He'll be our weakness in the secondary instead of an absent Sanders.

Point #2 - typical WC philosphy where you get a lead quarters 1-3 and then pound the heck out you with their running game. Hopefully, the game isn't a lopsided at that point!

Point #3 - I doubt we can get pressure up the middle with our standard line and would look for continued exotic blitz's to rattle Schaub.

Point #4 - the Colts Dline can be weak. I would expect DMac to have more time to find WR's then this past Sunday.

:texansuck

Sounds like we should jam blitzes up the middle, I think we have the pass rushing power for that.

I am still worried about our Run - D

Our offense still is a question mark for me... I wana see 21 points atleast in this game, I think we need that to stay alive here.

actually they run alot of plays to end and a mix of off tackle/off guard

Good post Shredder.

Point #1 - they are probably going to pick on Doughty just like Dallas did. He'll be our weakness in the secondary instead of an absent Sanders.

Point #2 - typical WC philosphy where you get a lead quarters 1-3 and then pound the heck out you with their running game. Hopefully, the game isn't a lopsided at that point!

Point #3 - I doubt we can get pressure up the middle with our standard line and would look for continued exotic blitz's to rattle Schaub.

Point #4 - the Colts Dline can be weak. I would expect DMac to have more time to find WR's then this past Sunday.

:texansuck

On point 1, they didn't really even attempt to challenge Bob Sanders down the field, so there was no film on that. The passes were in between the LB's and Safety. Have to agree that Doughty may have difficulty in getting beat deep or getting sucked up in play action to fill a gap on a run. Hopefully the Texans don't get an easy TD with a pass straight up the middle. Reed is 50/50 with what I've seen. He's tardy half the time. They will surely exploit that.

Point 2, that's definitely WCO...I feel like the game should be close. Hopefully the Skins are up a few points going into the 4th quarter.

Point 3, I'm not sure how Haslett will design his blitzes for this game. Their OL played well and opened up huge holes for Foster. As someone else had posted, a lot of their runs were off guard/tackle gaps. We won't see a lot of runs around the ends because Foster is not that fast. He does have a second gear, but takes a step or two to get moving. Landry will be huge in this game.

Point 4, Texans DL played well in Week 1. Have to agree about the pressure scenario. If there is protection, there is definitely weakness in the Texans secondary. There will be room for chunks of yards. Perfect game for Moss, Cooley, Armstrong.

HTTR!!!

Also note that they are not a good road team and also the hangover of beating the colts will linger.

Not sure where you got that info. In 2009 the Texans were 4-4 at home and 5-3 on the road. They were also 3-1 vs. NFC. In 2008 they were 6-2 at home and 2-6 on the road, but they were still 3-1 vs. NFC. 2009 Week 2 they beat the Titans 34-31 in Tennessee. Seems in 2009 they were consistently going L/W/L/W/L/W and in 2008 they had strings of W's and L's. I don't see any rhyme nor reason to expect any pattern other than they seem to play well and win vs. the NFC.

Nobody on the planet knows the Texan tendencies better than Mike Shanahan and his son. If anybody can exploit their weaknesses, it will be them.

This is the most salient point of the discussion, and it's our secret weapon. Not just strategically, but tactically. When a DB goes out, Shanny Jr. will notice and exploit. Instantly. Expect our Offensive Coordinator to do a good job "preparing" the Skins defense this week.... but it will be at game time that the advantage will be most apparent. The Texans show all signs of being in mid-season form, while we are still getting the bugs out of the system. Kyle's familiarity with the team gives us a measure of security, and may be just what we need to pull off a victory over a very talented team. Thank God it's at home... Hail to the Redskins!

This is the most salient point of the discussion, and it's our secret weapon. Not just strategically, but tactically. When a DB goes out, Shanny Jr. will notice and exploit. Instantly. Expect our Offensive Coordinator to do a good job "preparing" the Skins defense this week.... but it will be at game time that the advantage will be most apparent. The Texans show all signs of being in mid-season form, while we are still getting the bugs out of the system. Kyle's familiarity with the team gives us a measure of security, and may be just what we need to pull off a victory over a very talented team. Thank God it's at home... Hail to the Redskins!

I would tend to agree with this...Kyle made this Offense and he knows every weakness and strength. This is going to play a factor on both sides of the ball. In Kyle's quotes and description of how he puts together a game plan, he stated that he designs game plans based on the weaknesses of the opposing team. No better scenario for exactly what Kyle does best then to exploit weakness of a team that is building off of the same roster that Kyle knows best. I also like the home field advantage playing into the hands of the Skins D when it counts.

I like the Skins chances in this game. Our defense is far superior to anything the Colts have had over the previous years and if we can cut the head of the monster off (Andre Johnson) and stop the run the texans will be in for a long day.

The good news for the Skins is that the Texans may have blown their load on the Colts last week. For them that was the Superbowl.

I like the Skins chances in this game. Our defense is far superior to anything the Colts have had over the previous years and if we can cut the head of the monster off (Andre Johnson) and stop the run the texans will be in for a long day.

The good news for the Skins is that the Texans may have blown their load on the Colts last week. For them that was the Superbowl.

He said 'Load'...

Good point though. Maybe the same could be said for the Skins though. I think the 60 min motto is going to play through the entire season in DC!

HTTR!!!

Archived