Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Dallas Cowboys make cuts, keep Sam Hurd

tr1

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/04/2445691/dallas-cowboys-make-cuts-keep.html

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

IRVING — It wasn’t a whirlwind day as it was Friday when the Dallas Cowboys pulled off two trades, but some eye-opening decisions were made when the team officially trimmed its roster to the league limit of 53 players with 20 cuts Saturday.

Wide receiver Sam Hurd, who has been the subject of trade talks since last spring because of his $1.8 salary, forced the Cowboys to blink, surviving the roster cuts as the fifth receiver.

Also notable is the Cowboys will open the 2010 season with just three true cornerbacks, two tight ends and two fullbacks, six safeties, five inside linebackers and four undrafted rookies.

It remains a fluid situation as the Cowboys could make more moves once they scan the waiver wire. But as of now this is the your 2010 Cowboys.

The biggest surprise outside of Hurd was the release of cornerbacks Cletus Gordon, Bryan McCann and Jamar Wall, leaving the Cowboys with just Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick on the roster.

This move likely goes hand in hand with the decisions at safety to keep rookie free agents Barry Church, Danny McCray and rookie fourth-round pick Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, along with veterans Gerald Sensabaugh, Alan Ball and Mike Hamlin.

Ball is former cornerback who can play the position if needed. The same is true for to Owusu-Ansah, who played cornerback in college.

The Cowboys will likely bring McCann back to the practice squad, along with cornerback Teddy Williams, the former UT-San Antonio track star who they want to develop for the future.

The same is possibly true for cut receivers Manny Johnson and Jesse Holley, certainly for one if not both. With the Cowboys just going with five receivers on the roster, they will need bodies at the position with whom to practice. Johnson and Holley were on the practice squad last season.

The Cowboys will open the season with just Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett at tight end following the release of Martin Rucker, DajLeon Farr and Jason Pociask. One, possibly Rucker, will be a practice-squad candidate.

The tight end position is connected to the decisions at fullback where rookie free agent Chris Gronkowski made the roster with veteran Deon Anderson. Gronkowski played H-back in college and will be able to do some of those duties with the Cowboys to make up for the lack of a third tight end.

Backup center Phil Costa is the fourth undrafted rookie to make the team along with Gronkowski, Church and McCray.

It was also somewhat of a surprise that rookie seventh-round pick Sean Lissemore and rookie supplemental draft pick Josh Brent made the team as backup defensive linemen ahead of the released veteran Junior Siavii.

The Cowboys were considering keeping two of the three, but it was thought that Siavii would make it ahead of Lissemore, who did not standout in camp.

But it was likely another decision by the team to go with youth for the long term over a veteran, while saving money in the process.

That was certainly some of the reasoning behind the trade of receiver Patrick Crayton to the Chargers on Friday. The Cowboys saved $2 million dollars while also clearing the deck to give more playing to promising second-year player Kevin Ogletree

Linebacker Leon Williams, who joined the Cowboys in the off-season after four years in Cleveland, has seemingly made the most of his fresh start. He hung on at inside linebacker, joining Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Sean Lee and Jason Williams.

Look for the Cowboys to add one of the released running backs, Herb Donaldson or Lonyae Miller, back to practice squad. Guard Travis Bright is also a practice-squad candidate.

I really don't get the 3 CB/6 Saftey thing they've got going on. Maybe some fans can shed some light on it: Are they hoping to pick the heap of cuts for CBs, are they planning on using some safties and dimebacks? This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Alan Ball and AOA are both capable of playing corner. Ball was our 4th Corner last year and if he is needed, Hamlin can play safety.

What do Dallas fans think about the cut of Marcus Dixon? I heard he was a fan favorite and a top backup DL this preseason.

Never performed. Kept him around for two years and never made any plays. Good story, just didn't make it.

I really don't get the 3 CB/6 Saftey thing they've got going on. Maybe some fans can shed some light on it: Are they hoping to pick the heap of cuts for CBs, are they planning on using some safties and dimebacks? This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Two of our safetys are actually corners: Ball and AOA. Ball has played corner all of his years in the NFL and AOA was a corner in college. I don't like it either, but the coaching staff knows a lot more than I do.

Here's a picture of Colombo and Kosier practicing today...

KosierColombo_090610_300.jpg

That's right...they're on the way to the trainer.

:ols:

Jerruh said they'd both play this weekend.

Silly Jerruh.

Maybe he can pick on MB III some more about his injuries....

Here's a picture of Colombo and Kosier practicing today...

That's right...they're on the way to the trainer.

:ols:

Jerruh said they'd both play this weekend.

Silly Jerruh.

Maybe he can pick on MB III some more about his injuries....

I think Kosier probably misses the game but I would be VERY surprised if columbo is not playing.

I just had a look at the skins depth chart on offense, btw, what is Shanny trying to do, run an all geriatric team out there?

Wow....shallow and old on offense.

I think Kosier probably misses the game but I would be VERY surprised if columbo is not playing.

I just had a look at the skins depth chart on offense, btw, what is Shanny trying to do, run an all geriatric team out there?

Wow....shallow and old on offense.

Typical Kenny.

Here's Colombo practicing today...

I'm sure he'll look great out there on Sunday after missing all of those preseason games and practice this week. Oh, and EVERYONE in puke camp is saying if he doesn't practice Wednesday, he doesn't play on Sunday.

Now, try as you might to switch subject to the Skins Kenny, because you know your team is in a whole lot of hurt right now.

Keep deflecting.

Typical Kenny.

Here's Colombo practicing today...

I'm sure he'll look great out there on Sunday after missing all of those preseason games and practice this week. Oh, and EVERYONE in puke camp is saying if he doesn't practice Wednesday, he doesn't play on Sunday.

Now, try as you might to switch subject to the Skins Kenny, because you know your team is in a whole lot of hurt right now.

Keep deflecting.

No, I wasn't deflecting at all. I answered the point and I just happened upon a post on the zone about the depth chart and glanced at it. Wow....came to mind.

1ta.gif

This :handicap: guy is not beating us....sorry! :D

No, I wasn't deflecting at all. I answered the point and I just happened upon a post on the zone about the depth chart and glanced at it. Wow....came to mind.

1ta.gif

This :handicap: guy is not beating us....sorry! :D

Not in that uniform, he won't.

But, he will beat you.

Geriatric on offense, huh?

I'll bite:

QB:

Donovon McNabb - 33 years old

Rex Grossman - 30 years old

John Beck - 29 years old

RB:

Clinton Portis - 29 years old

Larry Johnson - 30 years old

Keiland Williams - 24 years old

FB:

Mike Sellers - 35 years old

Darrel Young - 23 years old

WR:

Anthony Armstrong - 27 years old

Brandon Banks - 22 years old

Joey Galloway - 39 years old

Santana Moss - 31 years old

Devin Thomas - 23 years old

TE:

Chris Cooley - 28 years old

Fred Davis - 24 years old

Logan Paulsen - 23 years old

OL:

Jammal Brown - 29 years old

Derrick Dockery - 30 years old (today)

Stephon Heyer - 26 years old

Artis Hicks - 31 years old

Kory Lich.... - 25 years old

Will Montgomery - 27 years old

Casey Rabach - 32 years old

Trent Williams - 22 years old

Totals:

9/24 are over 30 years old or older... That's 38%

8/24 are 25 or younger... That's 33%

7/24 are within 26-29 years old... that's 29%

Is that really geriatric? Or is that something Cowpoke fans like to use to try to make themselves feel better?

Archived