Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My girl/love of my life wants to be a slug, should I be worried?

Itoolu

Isolated? It was the only time she was in a sluggers car without a third person and something completly inappropriate happens. Just because something has never happened doesnt mean it wont. There was never a DC sniper before until some crazy guy got an idea.

yup, and then the sniper thing happened.

how do you propose to "plan" for crazy ass things that crazy ass people do?

This is VERY disappointing to see so many people having negative things to say about "slugging".

When I moved from Alexandria to Dale City I knew I would be faced with a massive congestion problem on 95 North in the morning and 95 South in the evening. I started to pick up slugs and I've had nothings but good experiences with them, minus the occasional conversation they have on their cell phones or having them drink something (all of which are common no-no rules). I've talked with many women about how they feel in regards to their safety when they slug and they don't have a problem with it.

Look at it this way: she's always going to have a third party with her (the other slug in line, unless there's already someone in the car) making it HIGHLY unlikely of anything going wrong; she can decline getting in a car and opt to get in the next car, etc at her choosing (i.e. if she only wants to ride with female drivers or whatever).

She can also carry some kind of self defense mechanism for protection. Another option is to have her learn to ride a motorcycle (like I do) to allow her access to the HOV lanes. Others have suggested the van-pool or other mass-transit options which are also good choices, but I can seriously vouch for the Slug system and the safety of it.

For more information including rules/etiquette please see www.slug-lines.com

EDIT: Prior to buying a motorcycle in March of 2010, I used to pick up people in the morning and afternoon since November of 2008 and never encountered or heard of any such problem involving women being threatened. I still occassionally pick up slugs in my truck if the weather is bad and will more than likely continue to do so this winter when it is too cold to ride (although I'm looking into buying cold weather riding gear, since riding my motorcyle saves so much time and money)

yup, and then the sniper thing happened.

how do you propose to "plan" for crazy ass things that crazy ass people do?

Kind of going on the lines of this topic. Crazy and strange things could happen at anytime. She could be sitting in stop and go traffic and be shot due to some random act of road range, you could choke to death today while eating lunch, my computer in front of me could spontaneously combust and kill me. Bottom line is: you can't escape fate, if it's your time, then it's your time.

This is VERY disappointing to see so many people having negative things to say about "slugging".

When I moved from Alexandria to Dale City I knew I would be faced with a massive congestion problem on 95 North in the morning and 95 South in the evening.

In related news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100824/ap_on_re_as/as_china_traffic_jam_4

As far as the negative stuff, all I can think of since opening this thread is the Doors' "Riders On the Storm". I don't think of myself as a worrywart, but there's no way I would do it or allow my wife to do it.

Archived