Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Monroe News-Star:Saints' DT Chases Dream of Starting to D.C.

scskinsfan

http://www.thenewsstar.com/saints/html/BF517880-9B15-4700-B12E-3F3CD2FB04E3.shtml

Saints' DT chases dream of starting to D.C.

This is an expanded online report

Staff and Wire Reports

August 21, 2003

The Saints' Martin Chase wanted to start -- and on a team loaded with defensive tackles, that was looking like an increasingly remote possibility.

So, New Orleans sent him to the Washington Redskins. The deal, according to several reports, was in exchange for a seventh-round pick in next year's draft.

"We have an abundance of defensive linemen," Saints coach Jim Haslett said. "Washington was courting a few linemen around the league. It is a pretty good opportunity for Martin to get a chance to start."

Chase, 28, had 48 tackles and a sack with the Saints, including a career-high 23 stops last season.

"Martin was a solid performer for us over the last three years and this looks like a great opportunity for him," said Saints general manager Mickey Loomis.

Scheduled to make the league minimum of $530,000 this season, Chase could in fact start immediately in D.C. The Redskins released defensive lineman Dan Wilkinson after he wouldn't restructure his deal -- then lost fellow tackle Brandon Noble to a season-ending knee injury.

"The cost was right," Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, told the Post. "With some of those other guys, the cost was too high. . . . A lot of times people think you're desperate -- which we're not -- and they want to gouge you. We're not going to be stupid. But if we feel like there's somebody out there that can upgrade us, we're going to make the move."

Chase, a sixth-year NFL veteran, was claimed by the Saints off waivers from Baltimore in 2000 -- playing in 41 games for New Orleans over the last three seasons, with four starts.

"Martin is a good football player," Haslett said. "We just happen to have some pretty good football players out there."

That meant Chase found himself in a traffic jam on the defensive line during this year's training camp.

"We really have our starters in Grady (Jackson) and Johnathan (Sullivan) -- and Kenny Smith is doing a heck of a job," Haslett said. "Henry Ford will be coming back and Kendrick (Allen) is doing a great job. We just felt it was a good opportunity for Martin to start and it also alleviates a problem for us."

The seventh-round pick from Washington could escalate to a sixth-rounder for New Orleans, if Chase participates in at least 40 percent of the team's defensive plays.

"We put a priority on building through the draft, and picking up an extra draft choice in this situation made sense," the Saints' Loomis said. "As an organization, we wish Martin the best in Washington."

Chase is expected to arrive in D.C. today. Team officials there have said he will play against his old team, the Ravens, in a Saturday exhibition game.

"We think he's a good player and he's going to help us," Redskins coach Steve Spurrier told the Washington Post. "I don't know about starting, but you like to rotate seven or eight defensive linemen in the course of a game if you can."

Chase is eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring.

Originally posted by blakman211

"Chase is eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring."

I hope he doesn't get to a point where he thinks he deserves a big contract.

It really depends on how he performs this year I suppose. If he has a better than average season and stays healthy, he could be entitled to a nice contract.

Originally posted by blakman211

"Chase is eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring."

I hope he doesn't get to a point where he thinks he deserves a big contract.

If by that you mean he has a productive year, then I can't agree with you there.

Chase is a rent a player for 2003 unless he shows himself to be a pleasant surprise.

I think the front office was afraid that Dalton or Washington too would prove to be one year players but would cost the team a lot more.

With Chase's $530,000 salary the Skins are still able to make another move before the opener if someone of interest becomes available.

Everyone stop worrying yourselfs about contracts and if we'll be able to resign him next year.

We have a season to play, and this guy sounds hungry real hungry. And all you need in a DT is size and hunger to give 110% and he'll be good. I think he is gonna be a very big help this year.

I like this move, if he plays like it's a contract renewal year or he feels like he has something to prove.

Lot's of players play a contract renewal year like Superman, then you never hear from them again.

Lookit Gardener who played for us last year. We rented a very good player who wanted to land a good contract. Viola Denver Broncos! Now he's on PUP or IR...........

We had some success with Gardener, but his price was too high. For the money, I'm glad he's not here. Same with BDW.

If Chase proves to be an above average player this season (ala Gardener last year), we will have rented a player to cover our immediate needs in his particular area of expertise at a very low cost this season.

I could go back and review the posts when Gardener was signed at the very end of training camp last year and most of us said "So what!"

Just goes to show that a gem can be found with luck and perserverance. Hopefully, Chase will be our "Gardener" this season.:applause:

Archived