Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dolly Sods Wilderness Area -- recommendations needed!

E-Dog Night

I'm looking to do a 2-3 day hike in Dolly Sods this fall with a small group of friends. Just wondering if anyone has been there and can recommend a good loop hike.

Right now the plan is to drive up on a Friday night and stay in a motel somewhere nearby (or maybe a state park), then hit the trail early Saturday morning, tent camp overnight, and return to the same place we put in, sometime late Sunday afternoon.

Ideally, there'd be a waterfall along the hike. :)

The group would all be at least moderately experienced hikers. Any recommendations?

Females yes. Beer no.

No beers, but a good chance of bears. :)

We only did some short hikes around the various rock outcroppings where there were views, and to pick berries so I don't have a recommendation on a long loop hike.

Watch out for the mortar shells.

Map

http://www.jtphillips.com/DollySodsMaps/wholeSods.html

There is a great campsite on the Rohrbaugh Plans trail near the V shape closest to the Rocky knob trail. Great views of Red Creek Canyon and a spring nearby.

There is a waterfall on the Red Creek Trail just downstream from the Breathed Mtn Trail/ Red Creek Trail Junction (if I remember correctly) that is about 6 feet tall and you can climb behind the water when the flow isn't to high.

Rocky knob has a great view and campsite (you have to climb up off the trail) but there is no water there and the Rocky Knob Trail is an old RR grade with cobble stones that are tough on the ankles.

The Blackbird Knob Trail is beautiful, I camped next to the Left Fork of Red Creek off it once , very nice.

The Big Stonecoal Run trail has a sandy beach and a waterfall on it.

Highly recommend this book, lots to explore in that area

http://www.amazon.com/Monongahela-National-Forest-Hiking-Guide/dp/0961655321

Should be available at REI

Weather can be tough up there if it is rainy, think living in a cloud. Last time I was there (Oct 2008) there was a renegade black bear. Just follow good practices, they hunt bears there so they tend to be wary of people.

Archived