Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

94 charged in Medicare scams totaling $251M

Hunter44

Clearly "defensive medicine" is driving up costs and perpetuating fraud... or maybe doctors like money.
Oh please :rolleyes:
How was there attorney bashing in this so quickly?

Probably the same reason you jumped to doctor bashing so quickly? Just a guess.

I admit I haven't read through the whole thread and may be missing the point here, but are you claiming that doctors don't practice defensive medicine keastman? They most certainly do and blaming the legal system for that entirely isn't fair either. My interactions with the health care system (and I have really good insurance) during the last 3.5 years has been extensive. They put me under the knife and the results were dramatically bad due to IMO a. seeing a big fat check (and just barely enough justification to feel they wouldn't be at risk) from someone who could pay and b. not wanting to risk missing something that had a very, very remote chance of being so.

I've come to find out (yeah hindsight is 20/20) that more highly thought of outfits (Mayo) would not have ever considered what they did to me. I'm bitter about it, it cost me more than I would have ever imagined in terms of quality of life, but I think i'm level headed enough to not have my reaction be considered an overreaction.

You have one perspective and it's a well thought out and educated one, but a professional patient like I have been has a very different one. I would think, based on your usual level headedness, you can agree that both are valid right?

I admit I haven't read through the whole thread and may be missing the point here, but are you claiming that doctors don't practice defensive medicine keastman? They most certainly do and blaming the legal system for that entirely isn't fair either. My interactions with the health care system (and I have really good insurance) during the last 3.5 years has been extensive. They put me under the knife and the results were dramatically bad due to IMO a. seeing a big fat check (and just barely enough justification to feel they wouldn't be at risk) from someone who could pay and b. not wanting to risk missing something that had a very, very remote chance of being so.

I've come to find out (yeah hindsight is 20/20) that more highly thought of outfits (Mayo) would not have ever considered what they did to me. I'm bitter about it, it cost me more than I would have ever imagined in terms of quality of life, but I think i'm level headed enough to not have my reaction be considered an overreaction.

You have one perspective and it's a well thought out and educated one, but a professional patient like I have been has a very different one. I would think, based on your usual level headedness, you can agree that both are valid right?

Yes, many doctors practice defensive medicine...for good reason. And I agree with you, while much of the time, IME it's a CYA measure, some of the time it can potentially be for a procedure to r/o something very remote that if a person did not have good insurance, that procedure may not be pursued. I'd definitely admit that can happen.

My "roll eyes" emoticon was at TSF's smart alec remark alluding to doctors being money hungry...a typical jab he takes pleasure in making, no matter how ridiculous.

My "roll eyes" emoticon was at TSF's smart alec remark alluding to doctors being money hungry...a typical jab he takes pleasure in making, no matter how ridiculous.

Oh stop it. It just so happens that when doctors are "forced" to practice defensive medicine, they get their pockets lined a little fatter. What a convenient, unprovable talking point! Perfect for violating the Constitution!

And, I don't know when I've ever called a doctor "money hungry." But if you are really of the opinion that there aren't any doctors committing medicare fraud, and also that there aren't any doctors that actually are in it for the money, then you are blind and naive.

The more socialized the services, the more people look greedy by taking from the Government and asking for additional money from the patients... Government intervention breeds corruption. People are comfortable with the free market. When Government implements price controls it will eventually lead to the same here. Your child needs critical care? What kind of father are you if you won't pay for our "best" service.

It already happens in other western countries...

Archived