Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hot Air>>PPP: Obama, Palin PPP: Obama, Palin tied 46/46 in 2010 polling

btfoom

When Newt was in office, his district in Georgia (including Cobb County) was one of the highest federally funded regions in the U.S. (partially due to the DOD and Lockheed Martin). As a result, I don't think he would cut military spending, which is a huge part of the federal budget.

That's like saying Chicago politics are corrupt so an Obama administration won't do anything about government corruption. President Obama isn't the senator of Illinois and a president Gingrich wouldn't be hte representative of Cobb County, GA.

He said those who can afford insurance and choose not to buy it should be required to post bonds to pay for care they may someday need.

He said those making over $75,000 should have mandated health care insurance. He favored the Omaha healthcare group model over the Obama plan. Just because the Omaha model sounds "kind of like" the Obama model doesn't mean he ever supported the Obama model. You have not demonstrated that he contradicted himself.

But look, I never once imagined you would care for a Gingrich presidency, so that's fine. At this point, I can't see myself voting for President Obama either so of course our perspectives would be at odds.

I think 2010 is really make a break for the "tea party movement" they can't be crazy enough to think they can actually get a "tea party" candidate to win the ® nomination, so their biggest bet is to pick up some wins in smaller races where the incumbent is weak, but the Republican challenging for the spot is equally as weak. Of course, splitting the vote has never been a winning strategy and could come back to bite those folks in November......

and I just completely blanked on what my original point was going to be....*checks clock* 4AM...yeah...umm goodnight!

Only in Sarah Palin-supporter land, though, does her resignation become a strength. It's bizarre

I never said it was a strength. In fact, I agree with you. For whatever reason she may give, quitting as governor pretty much put the final nails in the coffin of her political career. But she seems to like being a commentator much more, so hopefully she's done with politics.

But I held the position back in '08 (before I was on the board, so I know it's hard to verify this) that anybody running for a political office while currently holding a different political office should have to resign to run. I know not everybody agrees with that, but I think if you're a senator or (especially) a governor, you shouldn't be able to collect a paycheck while not doing your job a lot of the time. How many committees did Biden/Obama/McCain miss while out on the trail? How many bills/issues did Palin ignore while out stumping for McCain?

That said, Palin has absolutely lost almost any standing to run for any office, except maybe some local office in Alaska where nobody can care what she does.

That's like saying Chicago politics are corrupt so an Obama administration won't do anything about government corruption. President Obama isn't the senator of Illinois and a president Gingrich wouldn't be hte representative of Cobb County, GA.

That is not a very apt analogy at all: Gingrich had much more control over his district's federal spending, and he was happy for his district to receive billions in federal monies and assistance through federal programs while decrying Big Government's fiscal responsibility.

In short, as an elected official, he was just as much of the problem, and his hypocritical attacks against Big Government while being "another brick in the wall" shouldn't inspire fiscal confidence in anyone, if that is what you are seeking.

By the way, did you bother to read the link that I had included in my last post? If you did, you would see more detailed descriptions to what we are discussing.

He said those making over $75,000 should have mandated health care insurance. He favored the Omaha healthcare group model over the Obama plan. Just because the Omaha model sounds "kind of like" the Obama model doesn't mean he ever supported the Obama model. You have not demonstrated that he contradicted himself.

What? How so? Straight up and across the board, he said he favored mandatory minimums. And now he is against them, calling them "unconstitutional."

Again, did you read the quotes I included and the sourced links?

He very clearly has contradicted himself on this issue; there is no doubt about it, and you would have to intentionally ignore the core issue at hand, mandatory insurance coverage, to deny that fact.

But look, I never once imagined you would care for a Gingrich presidency, so that's fine. At this point, I can't see myself voting for President Obama either so of course our perspectives would be at odds.

Who knows -- I don't outright reject voting for a Republican due to party affiliation: I have voted for Roscoe Bartlett, a Maryland Republican representative, more than once. But I do listen to what they say, and I don't have much confidence in Gingrich's ability to stay consistent not to avoid engage in hyperbolic attacks against his opponents.

But we'd probably have to agree to disagree on this. :)

I never said it was a strength. In fact, I agree with you. For whatever reason she may give, quitting as governor pretty much put the final nails in the coffin of her political career. But she seems to like being a commentator much more, so hopefully she's done with politics.

I agree with your last statement: Maybe being a commentator is better for her and her family. Politics is a pretty rough road.

BTW, while you may not hold the opinion that quitting office was a strength, I have heard some of her strong supporters make the claim that she did it for "America."

But I held the position back in '08 (before I was on the board, so I know it's hard to verify this) that anybody running for a political office while currently holding a different political office should have to resign to run. I know not everybody agrees with that, but I think if you're a senator or (especially) a governor, you shouldn't be able to collect a paycheck while not doing your job a lot of the time

That isn't a totally unreasonable position. I guess there are probably other concerns involved as well, such as special elections, income for the candidate, etc.

How many committees did Biden/Obama/McCain miss while out on the trail? How many bills/issues did Palin ignore while out stumping for McCain?

Probably at leas a few for all of them, so you probably have a point. I would agree that it is difficult to be an effective elected official if you are stumping for your personal gain instead of representing your electorate.

That said, Palin has absolutely lost almost any standing to run for any office, except maybe some local office in Alaska where nobody can care what she does.

That is my personal view on this, which is why I don't understand any support for her to rerun for office.

I agree with your last statement: Maybe being a commentator is better for her and her family. Politics is a pretty rough road.

BTW, while you may not hold the opinion that quitting office was a strength, I have heard some of her strong supporters make the claim that she did it for "America."

Perhaps you should look at it from her and her supporters side.

Resigning set her free to have a much greater impact on national politics than she ever would as Gov of Alaska.

The libs made a strategic error by putting her in that situation.imo

Time will tell if McCain did so as well.

She will undoubtedly make politics a rougher road for liberals even if she never runs for office again :evilg:

it's easy to maintain high approval when you are neither running for office nor holding public office. these numbers are not useful.

having said that, i do sincerely hope she gets the GOP nomination, because obama would utterly trounce her in a national election.

having said that, i dont' think there's any way she could win the nomination.

it's easy to maintain high approval when you are neither running for office nor holding public office. these numbers are not useful.

I agree ...just look at O's numbers once he had to quit voting present ;)

Archived