Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chances of a Pacquiao vs Mayweather mega fight are slim. **Pacquiao to fight Margarito**

blue collar

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/07/promoter-pacquiao-is-all-in-waiting-to-hear-from-mayweather.html

The reason I didn't post this in the boxing forum is because if this fight actually do take place, this will be an event where just about everyone will have an opinion and not just your hardcore boxing fans.

Anyway, don't expect this fight to happen, atleast not while Pac is still at the top of his game. No matter what Mayweather, his dad, his uncle or even 50 Cent says, "He wants no part of Pacquiao." If he thought he could beat Pac, he would have fought him already, steroids or not. And this is my theory, Mayweather is gonna let Pacquiao fight tough fight after tough fight until he loses just enough off his game where he feels comfortable enough that he'll beat him. Pretty much the same way Sugar Ray Leonard did with Marvin Hagler (I actually thought Hagler won the fight).

I think Mayweather's uncle/trainer's trial is gonna be just another convenient excuse for Floyd to get out of the fight. I could be wrong, but that's the way I'm seeing it.

meh, i'll wait until someone other than Arum speaks on the subject

if his lips are moving, he's probably selling a load ****

You know that there's some kind of gag order on negotiations. But I actually believe Arum on this. If what he said wasn't the case, someone from Floyd's side would have said something by now.

You know that there's some kind of gag order on negotiations. But I actually believe Arum on this. If what he said wasn't the case, someone from Floyd's side would have said something by now.

arum could be right, he just has a history of too much bull**** for me to believe him on anything

personally, i think the fight will get made for later this year.

I hope you're right, but I don't see it. You watch, Mayweather is gonna sit back and let Pac fight a tough Margarito.

the fact that margarito is even in the running to get a fight with pacquiao (and the payday that comes with it) is the very reason i hate Bob Arum (and 95% of boxing promoters)

the fact that margarito is even in the running to get a fight with pacquiao (and the payday that comes with it) is the very reason i hate Bob Arum (and 95% of boxing promoters)

I agree with that. Well, we both know who promotes Margarito.

meh, i'll wait until someone other than Arum speaks on the subject

if his lips are moving, he's probably selling a load ****

From reading the article it looks like there could be a problem if inside 14 days before the fight the commission wants to do a blood draw. Pac's camp will want to know what evidence they have for requesting a draw and they'll be back to stage one. Watch it happen. Both sides are posturing to make the other side look bad. Money still hasn't been worked out yet. That's an even bigger issue. How about the winner gets 65%.

From reading the article it looks like there could be a problem if inside 14 days before the fight the commission wants to do a blood draw. Pac's camp will want to know what evidence they have for requesting a draw and they'll be back to stage one. Watch it happen. Both sides are posturing to make the other side look bad. Money still hasn't been worked out yet. That's an even bigger issue. How about the winner gets 65%.

Pac agreed to the contract. All Mayweather has to do is sign. How is that trying to make Mayweather look bad?

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what if floyd agrees to the 14 day thing, and pac man agrees to take a test after the fight win, lose, or draw? that way everybody knows if pac man is lying and/or floyd is scared.

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what if floyd agrees to the 14 day thing, and pac man agrees to take a test after the fight win, lose, or draw? that way everybody knows if pac man is lying and/or floyd is scared.

I believe they take blood after the fight. Stillunknown would know for sure.

If Pac is agreeing to the blood draw demands, then hopefully the final obstacle has been cleared.

Me personally, I can see either fighter winning, but I think Mayweather has the boxing tools to neutralize Manny's style. I have had this discussion way to many times already and don't really feel like wasting my breath on this potential fight anymore, until it is signed, sealed and delivered.

If Pac is agreeing to the blood draw demands, then hopefully the final obstacle has been cleared.

Me personally, I can see either fighter winning, but I think Mayweather has the boxing tools to neutralize Manny's style. I have had this discussion way to many times already and don't really feel like wasting my breath on this potential fight anymore, until it is signed, sealed and delivered.

You could be right... Mayweather has such great technical boxing skills that if the fight goes for 12 rounds I think the decision would be his. Pac's biggest chance to win the fight IMO would be a KO... which will be no easy feat.

www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2010-07-14-manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-chances-slim_N.htm

I will bet money that as soon as Manny's people start making plans for a Pacquiao/Margarito fight, the Mayweathers will claim that there was never really any real negotiations and a lot of people will buy it.

This is just my opinion, but Floyd is just sitting back and watching Pac fight tough fight after tough fight. When he feels that Pac has finally lost a step after fighting all those bigger fighters, then he'll want to fight him.

And he's also hoping Pac loses so he:

1. Doesn't have to fight him because most of the hype would be dead.

2. If he does fight him, he'll have all the negotiating power.

My stance on the drug tests are well known on this subject on this forum. I don't trust athletes that want to set testing rules. The last decade made this pretty simple for me: if you have problems with the professionals in charge of testing setting the rules, it's because you're cheating.

The only position that makes sense in the most corrupt sport in the world (boxing) is for the fighters to take tests whenever the scientists say they need to. No other restrictions, period. I'm not an expert on this but the people that are say that my position is the correct one on this issue.

The article also mentions that Mayweather might not have his trainer available. I can see how that would be a consideration but if that's the only issue Mayweather needs to find another trainer and move on with it.

My stance on the drug tests are well known on this subject on this forum. I don't trust athletes that want to set testing rules. The last decade made this pretty simple for me: if you have problems with the professionals in charge of testing setting the rules, it's because you're cheating.

The only position that makes sense in the most corrupt sport in the world (boxing) is for the fighters to take tests whenever the scientists say they need to. No other restrictions, period. I'm not an expert on this but the people that are say that my position is the correct one on this issue.

The article also mentions that Mayweather might not have his trainer available. I can see how that would be a consideration but if that's the only issue Mayweather needs to find another trainer and move on with it.

I agree with everything you said. Pac has somewhat given in to Mayweather's drug testing request. The ball is clearly in Mayweather's court and their silence tells me a lot.

You know what I mean.

i also know that fight negotiations (particularly mega fights) are never as simplistic as what is publicly released

i operate under the premise that they will fight simply because:

1. too much money on the table for all involved

2. they have nobody else to fight (pac fighting margarito would be controversial, and nobody wants to see a rematch with cotto. floyd could fight sergio martinez, but it wouldn't bring half as much as fighting pac)

everything leading up to the contracts being signed is simply negotiations and head games

i also know that fight negotiations (particularly mega fights) are never as simplistic as what is publicly released

2. they have nobody else to fight (pac fighting margarito would be controversial, and nobody wants to see a rematch with cotto. floyd could fight sergio martinez, but it wouldn't bring half as much as fighting pac)

everything leading up to the contracts being signed is simply negotiations and head games

I'm sorry, but I disagree. If Mayweather really wanted to fight Pac, this would have been a done deal by now. According to Pac's people, the negotiations are already over. Just waiting for Floyd. And if Arum was lying, don't you think Mayweather's people would have said something by now?

Either could fight Punisher. Pac-Punisher would be fun; and with the other could Paul make Floyd look silly as he did Winky.

If Floyd's trainer has the potential to be tied up in court and can't put the proper time/effort into training Floyd, how can you not agree that this is a legit reason to not take the fight right now?

World class athletes don't just change trainers in the middle of the game. There is a reason they have those certain trainers, and now with a potential fight to crown the world best P4P boxer, some people are acting like it's no big deal for Floyd to have to use a different trainer? Really? Please.

If Floyd's trainer has the potential to be tied up in court and can't put the proper time/effort into training Floyd, how can you not agree that this is a legit reason to not take the fight right now?

World class athletes don't just change trainers in the middle of the game. There is a reason they have those certain trainers, and now with a potential fight to crown the world best P4P boxer, some people are acting like it's no big deal for Floyd to have to use a different trainer? Really? Please.

Well then is he gonna stop fighting if Roger goes away? And I seriously doubt that he'll recieve any jail time anyway.

Archived