Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[ESPN] Skins' WR questions (OTR)

honejc

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/on-the-radar-52710

In case you've been trapped under a rock or some other impediment recently, you know that Washington Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss has been connected to a Canadian doctor charged with supplying and smuggling human growth hormones. Moss hasn't addressed the topic publicly, but his teammates and head coach seem convinced that he'll be cleared of any wrongdoing. But while it looks like there's no threat of criminal charges, we all know about the swift hand of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's justice. If he determines that Moss did anything wrong, the receiver could face a suspension.

And it's not like the Redskins are flush with proven receivers right now -- unless you count a guy like Joey Galloway who has been proving himself for 16 seasons in the league. Galloway's been on the downhill side of his career for at least the past four seasons, so it's unlikely he could turn back the clock and become a consistent deep threat. Moss led the Skins with 70 catches for 902 yards and three touchdowns last season, but his 12.3 yards per catch is a pretty benign number. That's why it's finally time for the faces of the '08 rookie class to show some consistency. Either Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas -- perhaps both -- need to step forward and make plays for Donovan McNabb.

The good news is that McNabb has had some success when surrounded with pedestrian receivers. In his pre-Terrell Owens years in Philly, he threw to the likes of Freddie Mitchell and the immortal Todd Pinkston. So chucking the ball to Bobby Wade, Thomas and Kelly might not look that bad to him. Plus, he'll have the talented combo of Chris Cooley and Fred Davis at tight end.

But even if Moss clears the Dr. Anthony Galea hurdle, the Redskins still need for Thomas and Kelly to emerge. I think fans are sick of hearing about their potential. Kelly won the starting job at the start of last season, but Thomas was the better receiver down the stretch. Thomas only had 25 catches, but three of them went for touchdowns and 16 went for first downs.

"Devin Thomas has been hurt through most of the minicamps and OTAs," Mike Shanahan told reporters last week. "It's good to get Devin back and watch him in these OTAs because I didn't get a chance to watch him except for the first day in our minicamp. Malcolm, it's like all of the receivers, learning the system, getting the chance to show their skills. It's going to be an interesting question here over the next two months, three months. We got a number of wide receivers that are competing for a position. I like what I have seen thus far."

If the commissioner decides to suspend Moss, don't be shocked if Shanahan looks to T.O. for help. We simply don't have enough drama in the NFC East, so it's important to reunite McNabb and his old buddy. As you know, their appearance together on a recent reality show laid the foundation for reconciliation. I have to stop now because I'm getting emotional.

Not much new in this article, but I love the thought of Kelly and Thomas breaking out, and hate the thought of yet another thread devolving into a T.O. discussion.

I'm excited for the day when all of my friends of other teams have a reason to know DT and MK's names on game day.

We need Thomas and Kelly to step up hopefully it will happen this year.

The third year is generally the breakout year for receivers, and this being their third year, with a proven quarterback who can get them the ball on time on target will just allow them to break out even more.

Roddy White didn't look too hot his first couple of seasons. But he improved in Matt Ryan's Rookie season, and killed it last year.

Sidney Rice looked average with Tavaris Jackson throwing him the ball. But his 2nd year, plus Brett Favre, lead to a pro bowl year.

];7552298']Roddy White didn't look too hot his first couple of seasons. But he improved in Matt Ryan's Rookie season' date=' and killed it last year.

Sidney Rice looked average with Tavaris Jackson throwing him the ball. But his 2nd year, plus Brett Favre, lead to a pro bowl year.[/quote']

These are the examples that I like to hear. McNabb made Desean Jackson, and I think he'll make at least one of DT and MK look just as impressive.

These are the examples that I like to hear. McNabb made Desean Jackson, and I think he'll make at least one of DT and MK look just as impressive.

1000 yds and 5 TDs for DT, 800 and 3 for Moss, 500 and 8 TDs for MK, 1200 and 8 for Cooley and Davis combined.

1000 yds and 5 TDs for DT, 800 and 3 for Moss, 500 and 8 TDs for MK, 1200 and 8 for Cooley and Davis combined.

Which would add up to 3,500 yards and 24 TD for McNabb, not counting any TD's and yards to other recievers, as well as the HB's and FB's.

I think that's actually very realistic, of course with some optimism. I think that you could even see DT score more than 5 times. I mean, he scored three times with JC throwing him the ball (or handing it off, once), and with only 25 catches for 325ish (?) yards. If you give him 60-70 balls for over 1,000 yards, I can't see him only scoring 5 times. That many touches, and he's bound to score more, he's got that after-the-catch ability.

Otherwise, I think you're right on in predicting less yards but more TDs for Kelly, who I see emerging as a huge red-zone favorite of McNabb, along with Davis and Cooley. DT will be his big-play guy.

And I really don't know about Moss. It all depends on how much he plays and what kind of rapport McNabb builds with him. I'm gonna say that if he even misses 2-4 games and sacrifices that in-game chemistry building with his QB, DT and MK will get many more catches than if he's there from the beginning.

Which would add up to 3,500 yards and 24 TD for McNabb, not counting any TD's and yards to other recievers, as well as the HB's and FB's.

I think that's actually very realistic, of course with some optimism. I think that you could even see DT score more than 5 times. I mean, he scored three times with JC throwing him the ball (or handing it off, once), and with only 25 catches for 325ish (?) yards. If you give him 60-70 balls for over 1,000 yards, I can't see him only scoring 5 times. That many touches, and he's bound to score more, he's got that after-the-catch ability.

Otherwise, I think you're right on in predicting less yards but more TDs for Kelly, who I see emerging as a huge red-zone favorite of McNabb, along with Davis and Cooley. DT will be his big-play guy.

And I really don't know about Moss. It all depends on how much he plays and what kind of rapport McNabb builds with him. I'm gonna say that if he even misses 2-4 games and sacrifices that in-game chemistry building with his QB, DT and MK will get many more catches than if he's there from the beginning.

We are in agreement then :D

I'm pretty sure that I've heard good things about Armstrong and Austin. Didn't Hodge have a great day earlier this week where he was the offensive star?

I'm hoping that they all work out. I'd love to see Thomas and Kelly be our eldest starting receivers, and not due to injury.

Our WR do not impress me.

They mised alot of easy catches last year.

Their rookie year they were no show ups.

Havent shown a trace of consistancy.

By this I mean catching 2 or 3 passes for 5 or 6 games straight.

They always would have 1 great game and dissapear for 6 games.

Archived