Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lawmaker blurs line with activists

Seabee1973

http://www.congress.org/news/2010/05/17/lawmaker_blurs_line_with_activists

When a Member of Congress is arrested, it's usually a scandal they try to cover up.

For Rep. Luis Gutierrez, it was a photo opportunity.

In the days leading up to a May 1 protest, the Illinois Democrat's staff carefully planned out his arrest for a misdemeanor trespassing charge, even notifying the police department of their intentions.

Along with other activists at the event, Gutierrez was trying to draw attention to a movement to overhaul federal immigration laws. But it was unusual for a sitting Member of Congress to be picked up.

"I think in order to win we have to give up our own comfort and challenge the system," Gutierrez said as he reflected on his arrest a week later.

A large rally in March and Arizona's new enforcement law have brought attention to the issue, and activists are trying to seize the moment to make some headway in Congress.

Gutierrez has been a leader in this fight for years, and it is one his constituents support. Since 1993, the Democrat has represented a district in Chicago that was carefully carved to hold a 75 percent Hispanic majority.

Click above to read more

Interesting way for a photo OP.

Clearly it's not. He was arrested.

Now that was funny:ols:

from the link

"It's about representing the people in the Fourth Congressional District," Gutierrez said. Most of the Hispanics in his Chicago district are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

Anybody see a problem here,or is it just me being racist?

Now that was funny:ols:

from the link

"It's about representing the people in the Fourth Congressional District," Gutierrez said. Most of the Hispanics in his Chicago district are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

Anybody see a problem here,or is it just me being racist?

I don't really like the system but it works both ways. There are majority high income or majority military districts that have been gerrymandered that way also. Clearly they are filled with nothing but whities and vote republican.

So... stop being racist.

As it pertains to the OP... I don't mind what he did. I just don't think that sort of political activism carries the same sort of weight it did 40 years ago. People do all sorts of stupid things to get attention these days, I probably wouldn't have heard about this if I wasn't a member of ES.

I try to get arrested the day before i'm going to be on T.V. all day...

Makes it easier to fill some of the filibustering questions i don't wish to answer.

Did he make the cops point? He was arrested for being in the wrong place and not listening to the police.

Not because of his race/gender/sexual orientation/rightie or leftie...

Archived