Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Pool

ClemsSC7Skinfan

Got a request,

My wife and I are looking into building a pool (in-ground), we haven't met with anyone to know exactly what they cost, I'm expecting something in the $15k range at most, I was curious as to whether or not anyone has done this before on here and could offer any advice as well as a ball park figure of what yours cost or someone else that you know of.

I know there are a lot of variables for the price. Questions you may have for me are about my area for development, etc.

We have a flat lot, I'm looking for something around 15ft x 24ft range, don't really want a straight up rectangle, we'd like a shaped pool almost like an 8 but doesn't have to be that much curve in it all. We would also like to build a spa on top that flows into the pool, don't know if that is a good idea or not. Outside of that I don't know what is recommended for the surfacing of the deck, texture of pool, etc.

So just looking for past advice on things to look out for, price range, things we can really live without, anything that would be helpful to know.

Thanks

Not sure what the price difference from MD to SC may be but when we were talking about an inground pool everyone we spoke with told us to get comfortable with the 30-40k range from start to finish with an additional 5-7k if we wanted a built on spa.

edit: a real quick search for SC came up with this:

fiberglass: 20-40k

concrete: 23-34k

Dang, is that just for a basic deal? If it is that much then our plans are probably shot, I would say from a builders perspective from MD/VA area down to SC is a fairly considerable difference (I'm in Electrical Contracting and originally from VA). I'd say we could assume at least 20% difference purely based on location factor.

Thanks, for the ranges, I've been finding some sites to play with some to see if they have estimators and such to help me narrow some things down.

Not sure what the price difference from MD to SC may be but when we were talking about an inground pool everyone we spoke with told us to get comfortable with the 30-40k range from start to finish with an additional 5-7k if we wanted a built on spa.

edit: a real quick search for SC came up with this:

fiberglass: 20-40k

concrete: 23-34k

I want to say my aunt spent 20ish if not more on her basic 8 type looking pool in Catharpin, VA.

I think your budget is a little low for that kind of pool.

Well I'm willing to shrink the size some and go to something a little more typical if it comes down to it cause personally I don't care about the shape that much just want to be sure it is plenty deep on one end, I can live with the shape being an 8 or probably being more rectangular in shape if it shaves off thousands.

Also, I had a feeling it was going to come in more around $20k I was mostly just hoping for something below it.

Well I'm willing to shrink the size some and go to something a little more typical if it comes down to it cause personally I don't care about the shape that much just want to be sure it is plenty deep on one end, I can live with the shape being an 8 or probably being more rectangular in shape if it shaves off thousands.

Also, I had a feeling it was going to come in more around $20k I was mostly just hoping for something below it.

Also don't forget about the decking. Most of the prices are just the pool. How much concrete deck area you want around it has a big impact too.

Dang, is that just for a basic deal? If it is that much then our plans are probably shot, I would say from a builders perspective from MD/VA area down to SC is a fairly considerable difference (I'm in Electrical Contracting and originally from VA). I'd say we could assume at least 20% difference purely based on location factor.

Thanks, for the ranges, I've been finding some sites to play with some to see if they have estimators and such to help me narrow some things down.

The best thing to do is contact 3 or 4 builders and get estimates (but I'm guessing that being in contracting you knew that).

Learn from our mistake - ask questions and know exactly what you are and are not paying for. We ended up moving a huge pile of dirt after our aboveground was installed because we assumed that they would remove any excess dirt from the grading process.

Talk to friends, neighbors and/or complete strangers about the contractor that installed their pools.

and you will probably want to bump your budget a little, let us know how it turns out. I'm to nosy for my own good sometimes!

edit: good Point HOF44, those estimates that I threw out were for 3' concrete deck all the way around

My boss had a pool installed about 2 years ago. He paid about 80K. He had slate coping tiles and a large stamped concrete deck installed. It also included a heat pump. Had a deep end with diving board installed.

My old boss had a pool put in also, 120k later he could swim in it!

That included the landscaping, pool house, decking, and huge pool!

6 months later I was unemployed and the company was failing, go figure!

My old boss had a pool put in also, 120k later he could swim in it!

That included the landscaping, pool house, decking, and huge pool!

6 months later I was unemployed and the company was failing, go figure!

Oh yeah I forgot, that included a 6 ft. wood fence for his backyard.

Archived